www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:18 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:33 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I'm looking at this kit to convert my '07 DR650SE to supermoto.

Does anyone have any experience with these? $1500 doesn't sound too bad considering it's everything in one package and tires.

Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:11 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

IsaacClarke wrote:
I'm looking at this kit to convert my '07 DR650SE to supermoto.

Does anyone have any experience with these? $1500 doesn't sound too bad considering it's everything in one package and tires.

Thanks for the input.

CUSH HUB ? Or not? For your DR's sake, I hope you go with a cush hub.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:32 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I don't see anything on that page about cush hubs. Are they typically more expensive?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:43 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Doesn't Pro Cycle offer a deal where they re-lace your hubs to SM rims at a discount? You just supply the hubs (i.e. pull your wheels apart and just send the hubs).

:pardon:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:52 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Would you give up on your stock wheels if you want SM wheels? :?:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:24 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Right off the top of my head, I'd say yeah this sounds like a good way to go! However, as previous posters have mentioned, what about the cushes? I think a phone call would be in order to make sure of what you are buying.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:52 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Would you give up on your stock wheels if you want SM wheels? :?:

Are you wondering about buying mine? If so, I think I'll keep them. I stud them in the winter and take it on the nearby ice. Sorry!

zig06 wrote:
Doesn't Pro Cycle offer a deal where they re-lace your hubs to SM rims at a discount? You just supply the hubs (i.e. pull your wheels apart and just send the hubs).

:pardon:

I'll check tomorrow afternoon. Sounds like a good avenue, I know procycle does a lot of more custom stuff with all of the things they list in stock.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:19 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I mean that rethorical. I wouldn't tear down the OEM wheels to build sumo ones either.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:12 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I went through Moto-X-Industries and it cost me less than $1500 without shipping

Black Hubs (WITH cush drive)
Black Rims
Silver Spokes
Silver Nipples
Black Motard Fender
Floating 320mm front rotor (backordered, so they sent me a 320mm solid Wave rotor with the kit, then shipped the floating for free)
Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs
and a Trail Tech Vapor

I opted out of the chain and sprocket since the only 43T rear they have is for Yamaha.

I can't say enough good things about the setup I got. A tip for you when installing: after you remove your old front wheel, unbolt the caliper and route it so that the brake line runs along the outside of the fork otherwise it is EXTREMELY close to the tire, not touching but it was too close for my comfort. If you get the 320mm rotor, it is impossible to install the caliper with the pads inserted, you must drop the pads out in order to snake the caliper between the rim and rotor. Also, the front hubs that they use have smaller brake bolts so the magnet bolt that comes with the Vapor kit won't work. I can post some pictures of how I did mine if you'd like.

Don't lose any sleep over it. It's a DR, a two wheeled farm tractor. Not a space shuttle.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:14 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Brewsky88 wrote:
I went through Moto-X-Industries and it cost me less than $1500 without shipping

Black Hubs (WITH cush drive)
Black Rims
Silver Spokes
Silver Nipples
Black Motard Fender
Floating 320mm front rotor (backordered, so they sent me a 320mm solid Wave rotor with the kit, then shipped the floating for free)
Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs
and a Trail Tech Vapor

I opted out of the chain and sprocket since the only 43T rear they have is for Yamaha.

I can't say enough good things about the setup I got. A tip for you when installing: after you remove your old front wheel, unbolt the caliper and route it so that the brake line runs along the outside of the fork otherwise it is EXTREMELY close to the tire, not touching but it was too close for my comfort. If you get the 320mm rotor, it is impossible to install the caliper with the pads inserted, you must drop the pads out in order to snake the caliper between the rim and rotor. Also, the front hubs that they use have smaller brake bolts so the magnet bolt that comes with the Vapor kit won't work. I can post some pictures of how I did mine if you'd like.

Yup, pics please! :2_thumbsup:

Well done on getting some extras (vapor, floating rotor) over the base kit, well done. Grats on making the switch to motard. Im jelly.

Im still looking for a kit to tard mine. Moto-X industries has the best price if I get a new carrier/sprocket/rubbers... but Procycle is the cheapest if I just get the rims/tires/hubs and use the carrier/sprocket/rubbers from my original existing stock set... still keeping my eyes open for a cheaper used pair, or by some miracle a set of sv650's, tho. Hehe!