www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:12 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:37 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Even my CBR6 had a cush, so I guess they're good for something.

But hey, do as you please :2_thumbsup:

Ps, this can happen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:26 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Max Kool is really trying to do all a favor with his advice. He's 100% correct in the cush science. IMHO, 'I saw a bike without it' is not a good way to look at what's not needed. What most don't realize is that SOMEWHERE the manu' is trying to deal with it.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts ... 388/clutch
See the #8's .. .
The above link is where a KTM 500 EXC puts their RUBBER cush: INSIDE the clutch hub. It's there. It's rubber. It's a beaaaaaach to eyeball and check, but it's there. No you can't see it, but be assured, the pulses that painfully conflict with each other are at higher (not creepy crawly) speed.

Below: Some Husq models a robust spring assm' (only) tries to handle the HP. It fails a LOT. Broken bits of metal spring parts are a bummer. Many guys try to beef it up to prevent the springs bottoming out, becoming 'solid', being hammered, then crumbling. This is being mod'd. I'd be happier to live with the hassle of an ez to maintain rubber, such as it is.

The DR's 'at hub' main cush is at least ez to service and check. Yes, a caution is needed if it is shot. (bearing load). When the KTM's rubber crumbles, you'll not know it for a long long long time in tranny terms. Again, rest assured, it WILL crumble/crack. And of those six rubbers, it may not be an even failure, which presents its own path of evil.

I'm with Max Kool: "Do as you please" , and I'm sure you will. At least you can have info first, and that is why we have forums . . :drinks: These are just toys after all .
When I was in a flying club, as an Airframe & Powerplant student, our moto was " We bend 'em, we mend 'em". Hehe heh heheh .. so it's all ok to do what you will. So, go ahead, bend it. All good. :good:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:42 pm 

Brewsky88 wrote:

I have not personally worked with the kits from Motostrano or ProCycle, but given the customization options and the ability to pick and choose parts, the Moto-X-Industries kit was a very easy choice for me to make and absolutely love it. Make sure you order the shorty kickstand unless you have plans to cut yours down, there is no way the stock one will work on a motard

Good feedback and details on your post. I'm about to start changing my DR to SM but want to still do more research, which this forum is great for. :2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:00 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

PROCYCLE! Dr650 gurus! Have my supermoto wheels w/cush hub for 2 years on the DR., No issues. :BevButt:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:29 pm 
DR650 Limits Tester

i have been running with out a cush drive now for at least two years amybe 3 on some warp 9 wheels, not supermoto but they get a good bit of abuse in the dirt and rocks. the only real down side i can say is do feel some more vibration coming from the rear of the bike.......no damage to the trans or anything with 34,000 miles on the bike in total.

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:19 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Locknut wrote:

Below: Some Husq models a robust spring assm' (only) tries to handle the HP. It fails a LOT. Broken bits of metal spring parts are a bummer. Many guys try to beef it up to prevent the springs bottoming out, becoming 'solid', being hammered, then crumbling. This is being mod'd. I'd be happier to live with the hassle of an ez to maintain rubber, such as it is.

The DR has a similar setup in the clutch, as far as I can tell. That said, if you're running mostly on asfalt, a cush drive is totally recommended.