www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:40 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: living off the mighty DR
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:49 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Location: Coaldale Alberta If money can't buy happiness, explain motorcycles and beer.
I am planning a two month ride on the Trans Canada Adventure Trail starting end of June. This endeavour being taken on after my off road riding course June 12.
Liz simply just needs time to recover and I need a holiday. So Liz is going to live with friends on the Island in British Columbia Canada and as mentioned I'm off across Canada.
I did the 5 week Alaska thing in 2014 but I brought along way!! to much stuff.
My KLR buddy is helping my with tyre swapping practice next weekend and the rest will be "There by the grace of God go I".
I plan on camping as much as possible. Besides the obvious stuff like good camping equipment food water gps cook stove simple meals
What would be a recommended short list of must haves to take along without the need of a support vehicle.?? lol

Thanks
Timmy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:15 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I am truly envious. :2_thumbsup:

This and the Dempster/Canol roads are on my bucket list.

If you have made the decision to do this even after your 5 week trip to AK, my suggestions would be: a Spot Gen 3 tracker, to bother the folks at Gravel Travel for local contacts along the route should you need them, and to take the advice from the enduro riders here on the forum as far as what to leave behind. Maybe PM them a detailed manifest from your last trip?

2013 DR650 34,651------->DR790 1,000 miles and counting

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:04 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

If you just did 5 weeks to Alaska and back, you've most likely hashed out everything you need for trans-Canada. I'm assuming from your post you're going west to east - yes? It's going to be little things that would not come to your forefront of mind. Safety pins, sewing kit, butane lighters vs matches, a 4 or 6" self-adhering elastic bandage - I'm trying to jog my memory of those things that I realized I would need for a trans-US bicycle ride.

Lay your kit out on the living room floor and let Liz have a look at it. What she might suggest something that might seem insignificant, but have profound repercussions somewhere between London and Halifax!

Otherwise, go with your gut! If you think you may in some parallel universe need it it to to fight off Darleks - by all means take it!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:12 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Definitely have all the tools necessary to tighten (or remove) every bolt on your bike. Have all the tools and supplies to do tire change and maintenance. Also bring: duct tape, super glue, various size zip ties, extra bungees, cordage, first aid kit, GPS and GPS Tracker, safety pins, sewing kit, shoe goo (for clothing repairs), cooking, hygeine and sleeping supplies.

One random thing I wish I had brought on a multi-day trip last year were rubber bands.

Other than that, if you're not too far away from civilization, remember that you can always buy things you forgot to bring.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:59 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I'm super jealous! have fun and be safe...

Today I was listing to a motorcycle Podcast and some guys posted he spent almost 3 years traveling the world with his DR650 and surfboard. :notworthy:
He was joined by his fiancee who spent a year and a half with him on the back of the bike. They have lots of great stories, including what the inside of a Nigerian jail
looks like.

http://motorcyclesandmisfits.com/podcas ... ontinents/

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:49 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Pajamas that can double as long under wear?

seriously, My heated liner (Aerostich, Airvantage) is invaluable.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:46 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Random Stream of Ideas:

Bring a friend if you can. Serious.

2 months is a lot of camping. I'd budget to try to get to a hotel at least one night a week to clean up myself and wash clothes, and sleep in a bed.

If you're wild camping you'll probably need more gear/tools versus if you plan to go from park to park or organized campgrounds. Most big parks and campgrounds have a store nearby, a town, a McDonalds, etc.

You'll need to plan in places to resupply camp food. Have a plan for if your resupply is not camping specific. For example, you might start out with dehydrated pouches like Mountain House, but when those run out you might only be able to get bigger bulkier grocery store items. Walmarts usually do sell camp food though.

Take Tums, Rolaids, Anti-Diarrhea, Anti-Gas pills. Two months of camp, diner and road food is going to make your gut punch you in the face. If you can find a hotel with a kitchen type setup it might be nice to make some decent food every now and again.

Crazy idea: throw in a small crockpot. You can cook at any hotel and it's easy. I know. It's crazy.

Baby wipes with Aloe. Invaluable hygiene item for a field bath. Works as TP too. Speaking of which, TP.

Little unscented hand sanitizer bottle. Clean things plus starts a mean fire. Can be used to degrease a part.

Bug repellent. A little hand mirror to help check yourself for ticks. If I was going camping that long I'd consider a buzz cut for such reasons and easier to deal with. Plus shave your junk. Just kidding. Unless you really want to.

Get rid of all cotton t-shirts and underwear. Go 100% synthetic. You can wash them in a campground sink or stream and they will dry super fast. Lighter weight and take up less packing space.

Synthetic blend wool socks.

Pre-run a spare clutch cable on the bike. If your clutch cable breaks it's ready to go. Just hook up each end and adjust.

A pair of leather work gloves to protect your hands when doing camp stuff.

A folding saw.

A pair of good knives. A locking folder and a fixed blade.

A can opener.

If you don't have Aux lights on the bike I would get some. If while in the middle of nowhere your main bulb goes and you have no spare, you will still be able to see and be seen.

Headband flashlight. Waterproof or resistant. Spare batteries galore.

100 feet of paracord.

A length of rope and a couple locking carabiners.

A portable MC jump start kit.

Bear Spray.

If your laws permit it, I would take a firearm capable of dealing with two and four legged predators.

I would have a gas stove and also a small wood stove as backup if you run out of gas at a bad time.

A lightweight tarp/shelter half with grommet holes. Can be used for all kinds of things not least of which to cover the bike at night.

JB Weld Steel Stick.

A small bottle of chain cleaner and lube.

An oil filter, gaskets and crush washers. You can probably find oil easy enough but it might be tough to come up with a filter for the bike in some random town.

Check the condition of your sprockets, chain, Cush rubbers and brake pads before setting off. Replace if needed before the trip. I would probably go ahead and put new pads on and break them in.

Inspect your brake lines and probably do new fluid before the trip. Make sure bled properly and 100% good function.

I would personally do an oil change and new tires and tubes the week before I planned to leave. That will give time to make sure everything is ok with them before you set out.

I would go over the bike stem to stern with a set of torque wrenches and make sure everything is at spec.

A battery module. The kind you charge and then plug your phone into to recharge phone when in the middle of nowhere. A fold out solar panel to charge the battery module. You could strap it across your rear rack luggage or tank bag and recharge battery module while riding. Check Goal Zero brand.

I would install a voltmeter on the bike if you don't have one. How old is your battery and what's its condition? I would inspect that.

A mini mountain bike air pump.

I have found my Garmin Montanna GPS lasts about 5-6 hours from a full charge on the internal battery. It will take disposable batteries too. I am installing a RAM mount cradle for it that will charge.

Some good paper maps. You can cut them into smaller sections and laminate to waterproof them.

A way to recharge your spot or other GPS locator.

MSR Dromedary water bag.

A Life Straw or similar.

A handful of gallon zip lock freezer bags.

Some trash bags with tie string tops.

A stash of like $200 in small bills. Cash is king. Plus truck stop hookers don't take cards. :yahoo: Split into two piles. One stays with you. One hidden on bike like zip tied behind headlight shroud or in tool tube, or under seat.

Some entertainment items like a tablet with some books, music and movies downloaded to it. A spare pair of earbuds.

Download the PDF copy of the service manual to your tablet and phone.

A paperback or two if you can squeeze it in.

A small notepad and pens if you want to keep a travel journal or daily log.

I put a note on my phone for each bike with my VIN, license plate #, insurance numbers, AAA phone number and relevant service data like tire pressure, oil, torque values, etc. it's handy.

Take photos of your bike pre-trip from all angles for potential insurance purposes. Download a copy to your computer before you leave.

A laminated card for your jacket pocket with name, address, DOB, ID Number, blood type, medications you take with dosage and times, any allergies, emergency contacts.

I would locate towns along the route that have a Suzuki dealer, motorcycle dealer or MC mechanic shop and put their contact info in my phone ahead of time. You can find this out easy by going to the Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda motorcycle websites and using the dealer locator feature.

I would do the same and locate towns that have a Wal-Mart or hardware stores along the route if needed.

You could also add the address info for the above into your GPS as personal favorites so if you need them they are ready to go.

An inexpensive spare smart phone with minute cards and duplicate copy of my data.

DR650
DRZ400
2 Sons, 1 Labrador, 1 Cat

Scoreboard:

Concussions: 1
Broken Bones: 5
Plates: 1
Screws: 8

Giggles a plenty...

Last edited by LostInPA on Wed May 18, 2016 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:32 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I don't know the Canada route at all. How many towns (large or small) does the ride go through? This is key as towns mean food, Fuel, supplies and emergency help if needed.
Study up and learn which towns en route have stuff you may need: tire, tube, welder, doctor, airport, bike shop.

Even when camping I'm not fond of cooking. So if your day's ride passes through any sort of town ... I would EAT your main meal there and carry plenty of snacks or To Go sandwiches for later.

No town anywhere or no food available? Then I guess you need a cook kit. (which I hate carrying ... and the time expended really cuts into your riding day) Camping and cooking in general shorten your riding days a lot, but in JUNE you'll have daylight 24 hours, so less an issue. :good:

Often, first thing in AM we will go out of our way to pass through town to get coffee and breakfast ... and of course GAS. Thing is, you need gas everywhere you go, so I'm guessing you pass through a lot of towns. This also means you could Motel it rather than camp. Sometimes camp areas are good, sometimes not. Constant RAIN can really alter your plan. So think about that.

After a week camping you'll be ready for a nice room, hot shower and doing a bit of laundry and drying out of wet gear. Be realistic and figure in these extra costs.

In terms of what to take? ... take less! You learned that lesson on your AK ride.

:drinks:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:48 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

DR Grifter wrote:
in JUNE you'll have daylight 24 hours, so less an issue. :good:

really?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:13 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

in 2009 I had the pleasure of hosting 2 Norwegians during their trip around the world, the long way.. on 1927 Nimbus Motorcycles.. they passed through Minnesota in December and went on to Vermont in January! I thought we knew cold in Mn..
some of Tormud's words worth noting, "they treat us almost like hero's or runaways from a mental hospital"..
" it doesn't help anything to get mad or angry, then you just get in to the deep sh*t, so..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDChHCMQxEQ