www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:35 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:17 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The story of DR3

My wife of over 33 years rides bikes. When I first met her way back when she owned a DT175, had a bike license and no car or car license. A while later I finally succumbed to her cunning plot, forced to propose marriage after she bought us a new GPZ1100B2. We did a road trip for our honeymoon on it, and almost all anniversaries since have involved a bike ride for a day or more.

Her current steed is a KLX250 which I got her new for Christmas 2006. I've subsequently added a factory 300 kit and tweaked carb, exhaust, ergos and suspension to suit her. She enjoys a low stress trail ride, of which we have plenty of options around here.

Since I retired and acquired my DR650, and latterly the S10 for us, she's suggested that if she had a DR650 of her own, she'd come along instead of not, or on occasion driving the 4x4 in support. I had suggested that the KLX is fine for her to come along on day and weekend trips from here, but her need for a DR is real, but not urgent. The KLX is not an adventure bike it seems. I have tried to persuade her otherwise, but gave up, a DR for her it is.

Having got to 78,XXX on my DR, documented over on ADVR; http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/b ... 0s.646076/ its engine was getting tired and I decommissioned it. Burning oil, very whiney, and suddenly a lot of metal on the magnetic sump plug.

I decided to look for another bike with low kms and do an engine swap. I tracked one down a few hundred kms away with only 4,5XX kms on it at a fair price and brought it home.

Did the engine swap and the new DR, now known here as DR3 was designated as hers. Just needed a fresh engine and some assembly.

Subsequently I picked up an 11,XXX old motor from the wreckers with no 5th gear for parts. Then last year, DR3's motor, with 20,XXX started disgorging shards of metal on its magnetic sump plug, so another DR was acquired as a donor, DR4. I stripped down the 11,XXX and 78,XXX motors and built one up. It went into DR4 and was sold to a visiting ADVR inmate from the US. Its build is over on ADVR.

Most of the engine for DR3 is sourced from the 11,XXX engine, but with the 78,XXX km cases. Its all in sealed boxes awaiting assembly. The original DR3 engine is still in one piece awaiting disassembly and diagnosis. The plan is to do this once DR3 is operational, and have it as a spare, ready for the next engine swap.

For almost 2 years the engineless DR3 has been quietly sitting in the container awaiting its new engine. While it waited patiently, some odds and ends have accumulated around it, a Safari tank, a Rock Hard Rally Gear bash plate, a Sargent low seat, a reinforced swingarm, an Ohlins shock, DRZ400E forks and other stuff, like an FCR carb. It was going to be a fairly simple build, but the longer it sat, more and more stuff just appeared :biggrin:

This build will take a while, its not my highest priority, but might be done in time for her birthday in Sept, or perhaps more likely Christmas. But I have started, and I don't like unfinished business, so we'll see how it goes. I'll try to keep this thread soley about this build, and my thread over on ADVR will get the occasional update about DR3 and other stuff too, I think.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:52 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Gotta start somewhere, might as well be the carb for no other reason than I had just picked it up cheap. Plan A was to jet the stock BST40, gotta be good enough for her, but then a 39 mm FCR, ex YZ250 supposedly, appeared. What could I do? I like what the FCR does for a DR, and have done 3 successful conversions so far.

Stripped it, cleaned it, and confirmed it had a 39 mm bore, which is good, because we have jetting specs for a 39 mm carb. Also confirmed negligible wear in the body where the rollers can wear grooves in the body. I also had acquired a Boyeson adjustable AP, so fitted that to the float bowel next, and a Merge AP spring.

Got to get the FCR dimensionally the same as the BST40. The head side is 4 mm larger OD, is offset to the bore, and has provision for 2 barbs vs the BSTs 1. The FCR is also shorter overall, and undersize for the airboot.

Into the lathe with the 4 jaw chuck fitted and the carb just clears the hard parts, just. So I could turn down the head side to mimic the BST.

Success, the intake manifold slips on like it was made for it, which of course it was :s_wink

A lump of nylon for the airboot adaptor makes plenty of swarf and gives me a result.

Next up I cut off the tang that drives the TPS and made up a nylon bung to take the TPS' place. Both bits of nylon, or I should say, 'delrin', are interference fits, no glue needed.

Then get the throttle cables working. Stock cables with a bush and small spacer works fine.

Jetted up and ready to go, with vent and drain lines to come. When fitted up, the Boyeson AP might be too close to the starter. I have a Merge equivalent on DR1, but it doesn't stick down as far. If it proves impossible, I have another float bowel.

Jetting is the same as the other FCR's I've done. Evolved from MXRob's fine work, with assistance from DR Steve. With a cut airbox and free flowing exhaust, I'll start with:

Main 150
NCVT needle clip 3 from top
40 pilot
85 starter
70 PAJ
float 9 mm
FS @ 1.5 turns, and its an R&D Flexjet too

Might get around to assembling the engine in a couple of weeks. Only hiccup is that I've had my arm twisted to put a bid in for some contract work, and if that is successful, it will get priority. And of course I have some riding to do on the other members of my fleet.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:33 am 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

:clapping: After such a herculean effort to make it fit, that FCR better be fine indeed! Looking forward to the rest of the build. :lurk:

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:44 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

The biggest issue is clearing the starter electrical post with the adjustable leak jets. A starter post repositioning will likely be required. Good excuse to lube up the starter. :s_yes

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:33 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Love ya work bergdonk :clapping:

Great thread with interesting photo's, looking forward to follwing your story to the end. :Roost:

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:50 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

You have a very cool wife! :2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:06 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

bongodave wrote:
You have a very cool wife! :2_thumbsup:

I do :biggrin:

mxrob wrote:
The biggest issue is clearing the starter electrical post with the adjustable leak jets. A starter post repositioning will likely be required. Good excuse to lube up the starter. :s_yes

On my first FCR swap I cut down the power lug on the starter to clear the carb. The Merge adjustable AP is low profile and takes hardly any more room than the stock arrangement.

I later acquired a Warp9 starter end cap, and a nice feature of these is that they rotate the whole starter housing so the lug is up towards the cylinder and well away from the carb alltogether. They still need bearing maintenance though, the little ball bearings are not a panacea.

Unfortunately the Merge AAP is no longer available, so its the Boyeson or none. AP mods I've done on other FCRs aren't suited with this casting. FCRs, all the same, but different! The Boyeson hangs down low, with the adjustment screw angled down and to the rear a bit. It will be close, and may need a little 'tuning'. It will be sorted on the bench after the engine is assembled.

The adjustable stroke AP on my FE650's FCR for example.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:48 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Great work, Bergdonk. I've had an FCR on both a DR and a WRF. It's a great carb for big thumpers but was a bitch to access on the alloy-framed Yam. One of it's great features is the swivelling fuel inlet pipe, which allows it to adapt to different engines & fuel tanks. I think you can still get Boyesen APs without the externally adjustable leak jets that would have a lower profile.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:56 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Very interesting!
Another excellent build thread to follow.
I like the idea of a built up spare engine ready to be install when the need or desire comes up.

Maybe I can use that reasoning to build up a 790... :biggrin:

Ordeal and Adventure

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:02 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

It was starting to bug me a bit, so rather than wait for the engine to be assembled, I plugged that starter into the spare engine so I could check the AAP clearance on the carb.

Tight, but OK by a couple of mm :2_thumbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next