www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:32 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:38 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I camped once in an old non-maintained cemetery in the middle of nowhere.
It was the only relatively level ground with grass.
Everywhere else was rock.
It even had a 4' tall stacked-rock wall around it and a gate.

I'm not superstitious or have any qualms about dead people, graveyards, or cemeteries.
Never watched horror movies or anything like that. No worries.
Besides I was at least 20 miles from the nearest shack and twice that to the nearest electricity.

In the middle of the night it was time to recycle the water I drank earlier.
Being male I had to go pee on the wall (why do we do that?).
It was pitch black but I didn't dig out my light. No worries.
I could not see anything other than the slightly darker area of the wall.
No moon and the stars were hidden by heavy cloud cover.

So I am relaxed and letting things flow when about 10' away, on the other side of the wall, a larger than human misshapen "thing" rose up over the top of the wall. :OMG:

Holy schmoly!

It made not a sound and it was at least 8' tall with a huge head that I could just make out...
A very weird shaped head with a very thick neck and broad shoulders.
I am 6'-4" but I felt tiny, this "thing" was huge. And silent. And very, very scary.

I am not one that jumps at a scary scene in a movie, but I was so unnerved that I couldn't move, not that I wanted to.
Whatever this thing was would probably be faster than me anyway and where would I run? Into my tent?
I stood there for at least 30 seconds without even breathing and then the "thing" slowly sunk back below the rock wall and out of my sight.
I am pretty sure if I hadn't already been peeing I would have when the thing rose up in front of me.
Actually, I think I stopped peeing when it rose up...
I felt very cold suddenly and as if my heart had stopped beating.
If I hadn't been frozen in place I'm pretty sure my knees would have been knocking!

That was the most frightened I have ever been in my life because I had no explanation for what it might be.
I slowly, very slowly, backed away as silently as I could back to my tent.
I thought about getting my light and seeing what it was but I wasn't sure I wanted to know.
What would I do if it was dangerous? Throw rocks at it???

Well, as you can imagine, I didn't get any more sleep that night!

When it started to get light I got out of the "safety" of my tent (remember the lawyer hiding in the outhouse in the first Jurassic Park movie?) and looked around.

At first I didn't see anything but as the dark slowly got less black I saw something about 50' away on the other side of the rock wall.

Something massive, something alive, something moving very slowly...

I watched it without moving or making a sound...

Then it turned around very slowly, lifted its head up, and looked right at me.

It was a horse :Horse

Hey, it was a BIG horse!

Ordeal and Adventure

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:23 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

:s_biggrin

It's amazing how much the human brain can play tricks on itself.
Especially when we are alone, and at our most vulnerable at night.

2013 DR650 34,651------->DR790 1,000 miles and counting

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:18 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Were you on your DR? We know the DR attracts the paranormal.

I think you saw the 'Squatch or the Dogman. In the morning you saw the horse and that was your mind's way of rationalizing your paranormal experience. :2_thumbsup: :rofl:

DR650
DRZ400
2 Sons, 1 Labrador, 1 Cat

Scoreboard:

Concussions: 1
Broken Bones: 5
Plates: 1
Screws: 8

Giggles a plenty...

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:22 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

nicholi1222 wrote:

:s_biggrin

It's amazing how much the human brain can play tricks on itself.
Especially when we are alone, and at our most vulnerable at night.

That is a HUGE fence.....

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:09 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

mxrob wrote:
That is a HUGE fence.....
:lol:

I haven`t camped in any really "weird" places, but two interesting situations come to mind. Both while bicycle touring unfortunately, but eventually I`m sure I`ll have my share of DR camp giggles to look back on. Set up in the grass once behind a highway rest stop with one other guy. Kicked a little bit of dog poop out of the way and it was perfect- quiet, shady, fairly well protected on a slightly windy evening. Until 4AM, when the sprinkler system kicked on and we were suddenly in the middle of an artificial rainstorm.

That`s all I was going to say until JagLite`s Trojan Pony reminded me of my wildlife-gone-mad campsite. As I have done many times before, I set up just before dark, right in the middle of a very skinny dirt road. Unlike JagLite, I was not alarmed to hear animals traipsing around since I already knew it was an active "walking burger" zone. It was only in the morning when I woke up that I found one of the stupid critters had tromped right on my food bag, tore a hole in it and and squooshed the contents half to death. Just one mis-placed hoof can do a lot of damage to a little nylon sack full of grub!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:39 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Not weird, but while camping in the middle of the Simpson desert in central Australia, I was woken in the middle of the night by a couple of dingos( wild dogs) sniffing and scratching around my tent.
It gave me the shits.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:45 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Rode an XL500 for about 18 hrs, pulled into a town & said to mate, bottle shop & nearest park, on the way outa town the lights spotted a lovely paddock, in the morning it turned out to be the back of the police station, fortunately it was discovered & left at 1st light.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:14 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Lots of boon docking so far in my relatively short adult life - but the one that takes the cake is not really camping, but it is in the spirit of camping. Going on tour with the band has me sleeping on floors a lot (so I always bring my sleeping pad and bag), so it kinda feels like camping.

One time in Portland, we were slated to stay with our sound engineer's cousin. We were going to be getting in late, so the cousin said he'd leave the light on and leave some blankets and stuff in the living room. We showed up to the address probably 3 am, perhaps a bit drunk and worn out, gathered ourselves some sleeping quarters, and descended into unconsciousness.

The next morning, my sound engineer was up early as he normally is but there was no sign of his cousin - so he called him:

Gabe (sound engineer): hey, I'm in your living room where are you?
Cousin: ...I'm in my living room.... Where are you?

Needless to say, we quickly gathered our things and booked it. One of the band members was taking a shower - he exited the house in a towel, still with bubbles on his back and shampoo In his hair.

We were exactly one block way at the same address! We never did make contact with the person who lived in the other house, not sure whether they were home or not...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:28 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Location: In front of a computer inside a house situated on a street within a suburb of a city of a country located on the face of a planet in orbit around a star located within a galaxy somewhere in the ever expanding universe.
Once I was stranded in sub zero temperatures. White as far as the eye could see. I survived by slicing open an Tauntaun and sleeping within it's internals. Not pleasant, but I'm here today to tell the story :good: