www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:43 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:05 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

That would make so much more sense than adding risers, yes. Now your shoulders are in a more relaxed position.

I never understand why most people want higher bars anyway. It's a bit like with some BMW GS folks, they want to be able to ride standing fully straight up. Which is not how it works. And besides, the truth is, they NEVER ride standing except for the occasional gravel road which can be perfectly ridden sitting down anyway. And all this time they have bars higher than ergonomically needed.

Why is why on the DR, I am an advocate for lowered footpegs FIRST. I am convinced that for most of us sub six feet, you hardly need risers if you start with lowering the pegs.

ok, just my $0.02, and I am happy for the OP the problem was solved!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:33 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

+1 on Gobear finding a solutions that works for him. We're all different and we all need different tweaks and adjustments.

Side note to my post last night, I did a bit of measuring. First as mentioned, I'm 34" floor to pubic bone (center of rotation for the hip) and 24" pubic bone to base of neck (center of rotation for the shoulders). With my thoracic measurement, plus sitting posture the riser/bar combination works for me. The risers, 2", are rotated back a good 20d from vertical. The bars are another 5-5/8" overall height with a rise of 4-1/2". I've also given serious consideration to highway pegs for long distance.

I know Gobear and I aren't the only ones with back issues, and that's why I'm trying to provide as much information about my situation as I can.

I hope it helps someone else out there.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:39 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I'm new to this bike and new to dual sport. So far my reading has indicated most off road riding is done standing up? I bought the dual sport bike for that purpose and hope to spend more time off road standing than on road sitting! I'm 66 yrs old not in great shape but lucky to not have more than a few aches and pains like most at my age? To the best of my understanding about setting the bike up for comfort is in the standing position, so you are not reaching down to grasp the handlbars and basically in as comfortable position in order to stand for longer periods than sitting? Every bike I've ever owned had to have some adjustments made to the stock machine in order to create the best possible comfort level. I have never had an absolutely perfectly comfortable riding position for endless hours of riding comfort! If after a short time spent on "a" bike brings on extreme pain, maybe motorcycling is not in your best interest? Not trying to be critical just my experience. I road with a friend who had many bikes, and each one he found he couldn't get comfortable even to the point of having custom made to order seats etc. Eventually he discovered he had hip problems and after having had both replaced he no longer has an interest in motorcycles?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:23 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The image below shows decent riding position for off road. Many inexperienced off road riders raise up their bars (using risers) and some go too far. You should be reaching down to the bars, and maintain a slight forward crouch, knees bent, head cocked slight forward.

For a beginner I go up a bit on the bars but don't over due it. And don't use a handlebar that is so tall ... will ruin off road control.

Here's a tip for older riders (I'm 68 and still ride easy off road, also teach old geezers to ride off road) When you hurt or are tired out ... pull over take a break ... pop an Advil (or something stronger if you have it) :whistling:

Best thing you can do to be happy riding off road is to do pre-ride warm up and stretching. And always pre-medicate. Really worth it to find someone to teach you, observe and correct bad form and explain basics ... like why the Hell is the bike moving all around under me! (relax, you'll get used to it!)

Having fun is the main thing ... and if it's not fun then don't do it. Keep it easy, safe and simple to start off. You can make all the adjustments to the bike ... LATER. Don't worry too much about that now, first get out there and ride!
Do drills and practice basics. In a year you'll be MUCH better ... and will fall down less! :scratch: