www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:29 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 'Tarded Que$tion
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:36 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

That's just expanding inventory. :spiteful:

(btw, you can send me all TW41/42 tires you don't need, I love them)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:49 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Max Kool wrote:
That's just expanding inventory. :spiteful:

(btw, you can send me all TW41/42 tires you don't need, I love them)

lol. true

Feel free to check it out, like, subscribe, comment. I'm down to ride-guide or ride along with anyone who comes out to Carnegie SVRA near Tracy/Livermore Ca, and would like to ride the park without worrying about getting lost or riding off a cliff. Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:50 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Geohaydook wrote:
So I guess what I'm asking is how much have you guys spent on yours?

More than I'll ever admit to the Mrs.

Geohaydook wrote:
And do you ever hope to recoup your investment?

There's no way in hell I'll get it all back, granted if I were to sell I can ask more for it now since I will have upgraded every problem area on the bike except the weight AND the buyer will be getting 2 bikes in 1 since I still have the stock wheels now with good tires.

If you're always worried about how much you've put into it, you'll drive yourself crazy and won't have any fun. Even if I have invested enough into my DR to pay for a KTM 500, like nyolds I can't leave anything alone so I would be modding the crap out of the 500 too...again driving the investment up. My buddy has a '16 500EXC and it's a great bike but the way that it's designed and built make it a pain in the ass to work on, not to mention the retarded service intervals. I have zero regrets about anything that I bought for the DR and if I had to do it all over with the knowledge that I now have, the only money I would save is what I spent on parts that I replaced with others because they didn't do what I needed

As long as Suzuki doesn't change anything on the DR, the next one I get will only cost me the difference in sale price compared what I sell the current one for since I will transfer all of the upgrades over.

Don't lose any sleep over it. It's a DR, a two wheeled farm tractor. Not a space shuttle.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:28 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Brewsky88 wrote:
Geohaydook wrote:
So I guess what I'm asking is how much have you guys spent on yours?

More than I'll ever admit to the Mrs.

Geohaydook wrote:
And do you ever hope to recoup your investment?

There's no way in hell I'll get it all back, granted if I were to sell I can ask more for it now since I will have upgraded every problem area on the bike except the weight AND the buyer will be getting 2 bikes in 1 since I still have the stock wheels now with good tires.

If you're always worried about how much you've put into it, you'll drive yourself crazy and won't have any fun. Even if I have invested enough into my DR to pay for a KTM 500, like nyolds I can't leave anything alone so I would be modding the crap out of the 500 too...again driving the investment up. My buddy has a '16 500EXC and it's a great bike but the way that it's designed and built make it a pain in the ass to work on, not to mention the retarded service intervals. I have zero regrets about anything that I bought for the DR and if I had to do it all over with the knowledge that I now have, the only money I would save is what I spent on parts that I replaced with others because they didn't do what I needed

As long as Suzuki doesn't change anything on the DR, the next one I get will only cost me the difference in sale price compared what I sell the current one for since I will transfer all of the upgrades over.

perfectly stated. enjoy the sh*t out of it and consider it money well spent. anything you can re-coup or transfer to your next DR is just icing on the cake. :-)

Feel free to check it out, like, subscribe, comment. I'm down to ride-guide or ride along with anyone who comes out to Carnegie SVRA near Tracy/Livermore Ca, and would like to ride the park without worrying about getting lost or riding off a cliff. Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:55 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

For me it's a hobby. Your not suppose to make money on hobbies. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:17 pm 

The only DR specific mod I spent money on was the TM40. I was lucky in that the bike came with the emulator catridges in the forks. And the springs are actually stock and work fine for me (with a bit of preload).

Of course my DR is not a shining example of dirt bike performance as a result, but my opinion is that it's never going to be a good dirt bike nor a good road bike. So why waste money on achieving nothing?

I just ride the crap out of it and live with it's inadequacies. I like to think that i'm not only richer, but happier for it :drinks:

You're half right, the DR will never make a good dirt bike, it's a porky bucking bronco off road. Its earned the name bush pig for a reason lol. If the OP has some good twisties to ride on I'd say a supermoto conversion is money well spent. Adding 17" sticky rubber and at least SS brake lines turns the DR650 a planted, light weight, nimble street bike.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:48 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

You know, it is all up to the user and what works for them. Not a good dirt bike? Watch "Crash" ride his. Or ask him. For me, it is a dirt bike I can take, loaded with camping gear, setup camp and ride what ever I can find ( within reason). I had a motard setup on my dr650, it was fun. I used it on the street and at the racetrack ( not for racing but in my STT track instructor gig) the motard setup is super fun. For me and a lot of riders, upgrading the suspension is a big part if not the biggest part of upgrading the DRs performance. As far as street bike performance , if we are talking about riding the bike in a spirited manner the suspension changes (damping and springs) are of more benefit than the 17" wheels (assuming decent tires to task). I have an exhaust, MXRob's FCR and other goodies, they really are nice, make my bike better. But, on road or off, and for me, the suspension upgrades really are what makes the bike more capable. I may well be biased but that realization and those experiences with suspension upgrades back to the 1970s are what lead me in the direction I have chosen.

A stock suspended DR650 in good condition is great, particularly for a rider under 200 or so lbs so long as that rider isn't asking too much out of the bike. Leisurely trail rides easy street rides it may well be perfect for many. Once the riding performance envelope is pushed out some, things change, traction, comfort, weight transfer and ground clearance are strong limitations that become improved. To me, extra power didn't mean much without having the bike setup to use it.

At the end of the day, it is rider use and ability. What is good for one rider may well not have much meaning to another.

A friend of mine who isn't a dirt or dual sport rider ( lifelong street rider) loved my DR with Motard wheels, he is less tall than many and the lower height and firmer feel of the full SM setup made the bike more accessible and comfortable to him. For me, the SM wheels were too much work to change considering I can just hop on an other bike that is purpose built for the task and that the full road course track stuff didn't feel like it was going to extend the life of my motor much... I could never give up the "dirt bike" part of the all around great package the DR is.

As far as cost and expense, I tend to think of it as an investment in my fun. I only get so much time doing my favorite hobby and things that make my experience more enjoyable are worth a lot to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:01 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

+1 on nc rick`s comment.
So true for myself also.
It is what is in the hands of the rider.
Crash rides like greased lightening !
On the other end of the spectrum of a little slower and more technical check this guy out. Amazing scenery to boot.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4sEO1 ... CxOrMMG6Ug