www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:17 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please post a concise description of the product in the subject line so other members will have an easier time locating the info they seek. No Hijacking or off topic discussions will be allowed to keep the info short and to the point. All opinions are welcome from members having experience with the subject line product.

Post subject: Ride-On tire sealant
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:30 pm 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

I'm counting my lucky stars for my good fortune in not having had a flat on the DR650, going on 2 years now. The many stories here on our forum by members who have had to deal with a flat tire, even multiple flats out on the road make me feel it's only a matter of time before it happens to me. Just the thought of having to fix a flat on the side of the road is motivation to try an ounce of prevention. Make that 16 ounces.

Ride-On tire balancer and sealant has a popular following, and their motorcycle formula comes in 8 oz. tubes. I picked up two, one for each tire, locally at Hanson's BMW for $15 each. This compares with the lowest online price I could find and I saved the cost of shippling. According to the dosage calculator on the Ride-On web site, http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html , 6 oz. is recommended for the front 90/90-21 tire or 7 oz. as a severe dosage. For the rear 130/80-17 tire, 8 oz. is recommended, or 10 oz. for a severe dosage.

Having two 8 oz. tubes, I feel inclined to use it all, so I squeeze a full tube into the rear tire, and with the second tube I give the front tire a 7 oz. severe dosage. The remaining ounce in goes into the rear tire bringing it up to a 9 oz. dosage and all 16 oz. are gone. When I say this product comes in a tube, it's not like a tube of toothpaste where you can squeeze it all out with relative ease. These are plastic bottles really, clear enough to see the product inside which has a consistency something like ketchup. Getting the last ounce or two out involves a lot tapping the bottle upside down to coax the last portions clinging to the sides down into the tip where it can finally be squeezed into the valve stem.

Following the instructions I clear the valve stem of any residual product with a short blast of air, put in the valve cores, air up the tires and go for a ride. The product is supposed to be dynamically balancing within 4 to 6 miles. Eager to see how it feels with the balance weights stripped off, after 4 miles I'm on the highway. The front wheel in particular had taken more than the usual amount of sticky weights to balance it when I last changed the tire, so that's where I'd expect to feel something not quite right if the product wasn't doing anything to balance the tire.

I had gone about 50 miles by the time I returned home, the GPS showed my top speed was 81 mph at some point along the way, and I can't really say if the Ride-On product is actually dynamically balancing the tires. The ride felt smooth enough, but was it as smooth as it had been with the balancing weights in place? That is a subjective call, but it was close enough that I feel the product probably is contributing something in the way of dynamic balancing. Time will tell, if any malady arises or if it proves completely trustworthy, I may have a more definite opinion one way or the other about the balancing aspect, but I feel good about having the puncture protection.
:s_biggrin :lurk:

Post subject: Re: Ride-On tire sealant
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:37 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

All lot of the riders over on the TW200forum swear by Ride-on. Haven't tried it myself, so I can't say a lot, other than I might give it a go before I start out this summer's odyssey.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:00 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

It would appear Ride-On is superior to Slime, which is what I've used the last 18 years. Slime has been helpful ... but not 100%. One thing I do like about Slime is that it's Green! The very first time I used it was in 1998 on a Baja to Copper Canyon ride on a Kawasaki press KLR650. Man, I hated that KLR, especially off road and in deep sand. :s_no

But I was still racing AMA Enduro at that time, so was used to my KX250 Two Stroke race bike. :bumps:

New '98 KLR650 ... looks just like all the other 10 years before and 10 years after! :s_biggrin 5500 miles, 6 weeks.
Pure torture on the KLR.

So, back to Slime. Since Slime is Green, in Baja after doing some of the Baja 1000 course and some cross country short cuts ... I noticed a few Cactus spines in our tires. The next morning I saw little green Dots where the Spines had been. BUT NO FLAT! ... and no measurable air loss. Not always this way with Slime and I hope the Ride-On product works better if you pick up sheet rock screw or nail.
So, look for little dots of Slime (or Ride-On) ... it's a good tip off that you have run over something. What color is Ride-On?

TIP: If there is a nail in your tire ... leave it alone until you are ready to patch it. Don't ask me how I know this:
Hard to see but 3/4 of the way down that rear tire is a big nail. I pulled it out ... and tire instantly went flat. (no Slime in that tube!)
Ended up riding it flat 50 miles to town and help. (I hate changing tires)

Also curious if a tube can be patched if it's got Ride-On residue on the Tube. With Slime, it's tough to get anything to stick to the tube.
And with Tubeless tires a tire plug won't stay put if there is Slime in the tire. :sad: But Slime is water soluble and can eventually be washed off ... but takes some doing!

In any case some sort of tire sealant is good idea to prevent SUDDEN air loss, which can happen on tires with Tubes in them. Even if the sealants only slow down air loss ... well, that right there could save your life! I expect Ride On will do even better according to other reports I've read.

Many confuse Ride-On or Slime with various Fix-A-Flat products ... which, IMO, are junk and rarely work.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:18 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I used Slime in my atv tires but didn't care for the mess.

I tried Ride-On last year and was very impressed with its ability to balance the wheel.
Which some will say it can't possibly do.
They haven't tried it I guess.

I bought more Ride-On for all my bikes.

So far I haven't had a flat and I don't expect it to be perfect but if it helps I'm happy, sort of like insurance.

Ordeal and Adventure

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:49 pm 

Slime is a great color for sure. Bright green stands out against any natural color of mud, dirt, or what-have-you. The color of Ride-On is a more subdued pale yellow to orange, sort of a tan that at least can be seen on a black tire. The link in my post above goes to their web site where you'll find all kinds of chest-thumping marketing information with photos and videos that show what it looks like.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:22 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

JagLite wrote:
I used Slime in my atv tires but didn't care for the mess.

If you know how to put it in your tube ... no mess.
If you go to change out a flatted Tube that is torn open (it happens) ... yes ... you get some Slime all over the place.
No big deal to me, just turn a hose on it. Granted, if out on a trail, you'd have a mess if you've split your tube, but a normal puncture
does not allow that much GREEN leakage in my experience if you catch it early.

If you want to put it in a Tubeless tire, you may have to remove tire, wash out Slime (or Ride-On), then install your tire plug.
PITA. But a tire plug will not hold with Ride-On or Slime in the tire, far as I know.

I would not use either one to balance my wheels. I can do that in 5 minutes on my static balancer. So easy.
I use it to save my life if I get a puncture at 75 mph, leaned way over in a corner. Not a good time for flat. :OMG:

Last edited by DR Grifter on Sun May 08, 2016 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:25 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I wish mine did 75mpg :yahoo:

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:49 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Max Kool wrote:
I wish mine did 75mpg :yahoo:

Yea, me too! Sorry for the typo! 75 MPH, not miles per gallon! :fool:

Hope you are enjoying my old stomping grounds down there in LA area. I think you mentioned riding some of the canyons and good roads in Santa Monica Mountains. Yerba Buena is one of my favorites, along with Las Flores Canyon, Stunt rd., Rambla Pacifica, Latigo and a few others in the Mulhuland area.

In Malibu we used to "hunt" sport bike Squids on those roads ... I was riding my '87 XL600R Honda back then. (1989 or so) No one could stay close on Yerba Buena rd., perfect dual sport road. In those days most sport bike guys did not understand the value of a dual sport bike on a super tight road. Add sand and water? Bye Bye! :s_rofl

If you know where to go you can ride fire roads (illegal) from Malibu to near Sunset and the 405 Freeway. (Mount St. Mary's College)
All the fire roads are probably gated now, but years ago it was just a cable. Combining a few paved roads in the mix, you could go just about anywhere if you knew the routes. We had a lot of chases with Fire Inspectors and LAPD. They NEVER caught us. :drinks:
Best to see ariel views to really understand where the fire roads go. Having lived through ALL the Major LA fires of the 60's and 70's, I know them pretty well. As kids, we rode up there during the big fires. The Firefighters were all too busy to chase us away ... they'd just scream at us as we rode by! :diablo:

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:30 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Thinking about adding Ride-on to our tires before a South America trip.
Both Bikes are tubed tires.

Anyone have any experience dealing with a flat in a tubed tire with Ride-on in there?

Anymore feedback on this stuff in general?

lastly, seems the Ride-on web store is sold out of everything.... they still in business?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:57 pm 

nmerrill wrote:
Thinking about adding Ride-on to our tires before a South America trip.
Both Bikes are tubed tires. ...
Good cheap insurance IMO :good:

nmerrill wrote:
... Anyone have any experience dealing with a flat in a tubed tire with Ride-on in there? ...
Thank goodness not yet. If you can believe the rave reviews you shouldn't get a flat from normal nails and such, allowing you to continue to a place of your choosing to remove the offending objects, then it's possible you may just need to add a little air with the holes sealed by the product.

nmerrill wrote:
... Anymore feedback on this stuff in general? ...
I reused the tube having the Ride-On product inside when I changed my rear tire. As far as I can tell it still seems good, apparently retaining the fluidity it must have. It's been a year now since I first put it in.

nmerrill wrote:
... lastly, seems the Ride-on web store is sold out of everything.... they still in business?
There is a lot of demand. The local dealer where I bought mine still carries the product.