www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:39 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:10 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

When motorcycle camping I have not been taking a backpack or sling pack with me. Been thinking about adding an empty one along for day hiking, emergency use and what not.

Was called to my attention by my brother who was over the house while I was packing up the bike. He asked if I broke down and had to walk a good ways did I have a means to take my important/valuable stuff off the bike and bring with me. Hmm, nope not really other than hoofing the luggage off.

I have AAA and all that, but was thinking an empty pack stuffed in somewhere might be prudent.

DR650
DRZ400
2 Sons, 1 Labrador, 1 Cat

Scoreboard:

Concussions: 1
Broken Bones: 5
Plates: 1
Screws: 8

Giggles a plenty...

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:46 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I'm no camper but while traveling I do usually pack a drawstring backpack in case I need a bit of extra capacity. Very packable and virtually no weight or bulk.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:25 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

LostInPA wrote:
When motorcycle camping I have not been taking a backpack or sling pack with me. Been thinking about adding an empty one along for day hiking, emergency use and what not.

Was called to my attention by my brother who was over the house while I was packing up the bike. He asked if I broke down and had to walk a good ways did I have a means to take my important/valuable stuff off the bike and bring with me. Hmm, nope not really other than hoofing the luggage off.

I have AAA and all that, but was thinking an empty pack stuffed in somewhere might be prudent.

Does AAA cover your bike in your state? They don't in most.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:33 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I would take one along. (a small one) I use my Camel Back as a back pack, it's got some storage space and zip pockets as well as the water bladder. So I can carry quite a bit a things in and ON the Camel Back. But a small back pack makes sense. Just wad it up and crap it somewhere so it doesn't consume a lot of space.
:drinks:

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:51 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

jollyroger wrote:
LostInPA wrote:

Didn't know that. When I got it I specifically told her it was for use for my bikes so I had to get a different plan than standard.

DR650
DRZ400
2 Sons, 1 Labrador, 1 Cat

Scoreboard:

Concussions: 1
Broken Bones: 5
Plates: 1
Screws: 8

Giggles a plenty...

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:14 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

jollyroger wrote:

They don't cover campers either.

This is why we have coach net; they tow all the goodies... :good:

Last edited by N3YMY on Mon May 02, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:15 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

+1 for the camelbak. Like Grifter, mine has a couple storage options for carrying extra stuff if needed...I usually keep some riding snacks in there (slimjim, granola bars, etc..) but that stuff doesn't take up much space.

Regarding AAA, you have to have the RV + Motorcycle package to get motorcycle towing...sounds like this is the one you have. I won't get started on why they group those two together.

'65 Honda CB160
'06 Honda CRF50F

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:21 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I don't travel anywhere without a backpack on any of my bikes no matter how long the ride or where it is I'm traveling.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:20 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

When I got on trips, I take a Camelback that doubles as a daypack, since it has small pockets for various things.

I like to keep the weight on my body at a minimum. When I'm riding, I'm mainly using it for water storage and for an easy way to stay hydrated without having to remove my helmet.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:10 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Picard wrote:
When I got on trips, I take a Camelback that doubles as a daypack, since it has small pockets for various things.

I like to keep the weight on my body at a minimum. When I'm riding, I'm mainly using it for water storage and for an easy way to stay hydrated without having to remove my helmet.

hey Picard,
Good move! If you combine your Camelback with a modular Flip UP helmet then you can easily drink while riding. Just flip up the chin bar and grab your drink tube. Easy.

It's possible to drink with a regular helmet but sometimes getting drink tube up and under chin bar or through the shield opening can be tricky. And ... if you leave the tube in it can be irritating. (YMMV)

:howdy: