www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:16 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sleeping bags etc.
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:31 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I am new to the camping from the bike and I have a small Coleman tent on the way. My question is about the sleeping bags, pads etc. i have not seen a good pic of a bike loaded down with all of this gear, every sleeping bag I have looked at is rather bulky. How do you guys deal with this?

2006 DR 650se

Post subject: Re: sleeping bags etc.
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:01 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I use the "Exped" inflatable mattress.
It is very comfortable and folds up small.
Sleeping bags stick to down for small sizes.
The higher the loft the power the warmer it will be (800) loft.
I use a Macpac 700 down bag.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:21 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I use the following:

SnugPak Softie Elite 3 Bag: Note there are 1-4 models with diff temp properties.
http://www.amazon.com/Snugpak-Softie-El ... B01251Z09C

Klymit Static V Inflatable Mattress:
http://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Static-Lig ... B01C3RW88Y

Nemo Inflatable Pillow:
http://www.amazon.com/Nemo-FILLO-Backpa ... B00SZCW0HG

All of the above fits in a top duffel together with my tent and plastic stake hammer, a pair of leather work gloves and a Columbia rain jacket.

I was using the Wolfman Enduro Dry Duffel. Now I am using a Wolfman Expedition Dry Duffel.

You can also get your bag smaller by getting a good aftermarket compression sack if the bag does not come with one. Tip: when putting a bag in a compression sack don't try to roll the bag up neat and fit the sack around it. I just grab a corner of the sleeping bag and starting stuffing it in, then compress it with the compression bag straps.

One thing with sleeping bags is one size does not fit all. The one I have is good through the fall here in PA. For hot summer this year I'm going to switch out to the SnugPak jungle bag.

So what you need depends on where you camp and what time of year. You might find a spring fall bag and a separate lighter summer bag works better than trying to have a do it all bag. Though you can supplement a bag with wool blankets or a sleeping bag liner, but that's just more crap to carry.

I would buy the bag that most closely matches the time of year and conditions you like to camp in. Smaller bags that are still warm are going to cost more bucks obviously. Can't get something for nothing with camp gear. Small, lightweight and still functional to the requirement usually equals spending a bit more, but you'll have it for a long time. I won't skimp on sleeping stuff personally. Too easy to be miserable all night with the wrong gear. But I'm getting older and fussy.

In my younger days a crap bag and a roll of foam mat was good enough that I could bounce up the next morning like I stayed in a luxury hotel. :biggrin:

DR650
DRZ400
2 Sons, 1 Labrador, 1 Cat

Scoreboard:

Concussions: 1
Broken Bones: 5
Plates: 1
Screws: 8

Giggles a plenty...

Last edited by LostInPA on Mon May 02, 2016 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:08 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I just recently purchased a Cabela's Getaway synthetic, good to around 15F. I used several goose down bags over my years backpacking/mountaineering when weight, compressibility and warmth - using everything from -20 something expedition bags to 35F summer bags - were critical factors. Personally, I've found the 20-15F range, synthetic to be a good three season, owning only one bag, choice.

Couple more things to keep in mind when buying a bag; how tall are you? Most regular bags are comfy to about 5'9", with 6'0" pushing it. I'm 5'11" and have always purchased long sized bags. (During the winter I also had room to stuff my water bottles in the bottom to keep them from freezing.) Do you and the wife/SO go camping together? If so, once you get out the rectangular sleeping bags and into the mummy style, pay attention to which side the zipper is on. A girlfriend and I, long, long time ago, bought sleeping bags as a pair. Hers a regular, right hand zip and mine a long, left hand zip. I do hope I need not explain further. Lastly, on insulation choice - goosed excels in cold, dry environments. Get your sleeping bag wet, for whatever reasons, and you are seriously SOL f***ed! For cold, wet environments synthetics are a better choice.

As far as weight and compressibility goes - hell - the bike's carrying it, not me!

Oh - I use a full length self-inflating sleeping pad.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:30 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Consider keeping your sleeping bag separate from wet tents, tarps and other gear. Throw a dry sleeping bag in a waterproof duffel with wet gear and it absorbs a lot of that moisture. Could be a problem with multiple wet travel days.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:37 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Uberkul wrote:
Consider keeping your sleeping bag separate from wet tents, tarps and other gear. Throw a dry sleeping bag in a waterproof duffel with wet gear and it absorbs a lot of that moisture. Could be a problem with multiple wet travel days.

Very good point. I usually go where I'm going, camp then go home. If changing camp spots mid trip I'll definitely have to watch out for that.

DR650
DRZ400

Scoreboard:

Giggles a plenty...

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:03 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

+10 on not packing a tent inside your dry bag!! You can carry them together for a long time with "chances of rain" that don`t dump on you, but the first time it really does rain, you`ll soon find yourself with a soggy tent and scrounging at the last minute for a decent way to tie it outside. Might as well pack up that way from the git-go and have a nice clean method of doing so.

LIPA, even if I were going straight home I wouldn`t want my sleeping bag to get wet. Besides wet, it usually isn`t just water- there is always at least a little mud involved, and little bits of wet leaves or pine needles or whatever. My beloved Feathered Friends sleeping bag is the very pinnacle of my expensive fancy-pants gear, and buying it the first time raised my wife`s eyebrows! If I ever have to replace it, I`ll be in the dog house for sure, so I make sure to take damned good care of it. Related, I`m not convinced that squeezing the living crap out of down gear is acceptable (some say it is, others disagree), so I stuff it into its included stuff sack and usually give that a bit more squeeze along with the other stuff inside my dry bag, but I`m not about to put it into a dedicated compression sack and crank down on it as hard as I can.

Viking: buying nice backpacking gear is the ideal way to get smaller stuff, but some people might have a hard time justifying the cost. Paring down unnecessary crap is also quite effective and is much cheaper. I`ve done both and manage a fairly small load, though I`m nowhere near the point of being "ultralight". Even on a budget, you can get some fairly small and light gear. A bicyclist I know has put together a couple of awesome article on budget + lightweight camping. They are bicycle touring specific, but most of it applies very well to moto camping too:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=9738
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o= ... =9872&v=35

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:48 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

This is my bike packed up for a 3 night camp trip, and in retrospect, I was over packed by about 2 days of clothing, and one folding chair. I guess I also didn't use my spare front and rear tube, nor did I "need" my extra gallon, but I did put it to use.

I've accomplished this with fancy backpacking gear. Down sleeping bag (waterproof down, of course). Smallest lightest mattress available from therma rest. One man no nonsense tent, down jacket for warmth, very small but adequate mess kit, and of course, booze. Got base layers, extra socks and undies, and maybe flip flops to walk around the camp in.

Some of this stuff is a matter of investment -which I've done over the course of several years (far too expensive for my blood to dip so deep all at once).

Others is a matter of experience - I try to do at least one camp trip per month, mostly off my bicycle. Especially on the bicycle, I'm encouraged to lose as much pack weight as possible. Sometimes I'm hauling for two, and bulk becomes an issue at that point. My experience has taught me what to bring and what to leave - which luxuries I can't live without, and which "just in case" items just aren't worth it. It's up to you to decide! Get out there and camp -it's a process.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:37 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Yeah I'll have to figure something out for the tent. When I get home I always unpack my tent and bag and dry them inside.

Would be better though to lessen chance of moisture. I could probably use a small sea to summit lightweight drybag to put the tent in before it goes back in the duffle. It's 18" with poles in the sack but they can come out and go somewhere else.

The sleeping bag I'm using is synthetic so it lofts right back up. Agree on the down and crushing the crap out of it. I don't use down though so it didn't come to mind.

It's my second season of bike camping so many tricks and mistakes still to be learned. I need to think more like what I would do backpacking in some respects. :2_thumbsup:

DR650
DRZ400

Scoreboard:

Giggles a plenty...

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:48 am 

I've been using the Big Agnes system for about 10 years now. I chose the "Encampment " in a long. it saves bulk as there is a liner in the bottom of the bag for the insulated air mattress. I like the system, cause I don't roll off the mattress. the bag packs fairly compact with a compression bag. I'm a cold sleeper so I layer myself up when temps drop below 40F.

https://www.rei.com/product/106910/big- ... e_PLA_GOOG