www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:29 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:06 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

If you cook it right, the expanding steam from the water in the dough gives you some rise. However, in my opinion at least, damper is like a lot of other bush tucker. To paraphrase Mick Dundee "You can live on it, but it's sh*t".

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:54 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

wotavidone wrote:
However, in my opinion at least, damper is like a lot of other bush tucker. To paraphrase Mick Dundee "You can live on it, but it's sh*t".

You're doing it wrong!
I make damper at home at least once a week because it is damn tasty! It is also hot and filling, really nice on a cold winter day.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:04 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

If y'all haven't tried it yet, take a look at the Jetboil system. I have the Flash Personal Cooking System. Unbelievably awesome...

http://www.managingtheghosts.org

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:10 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

KiwiMark wrote:
wotavidone wrote:
However, in my opinion at least, damper is like a lot of other bush tucker. To paraphrase Mick Dundee "You can live on it, but it's sh*t".

You're doing it wrong!
I make damper at home at least once a week because it is damn tasty! It is also hot and filling, really nice on a cold winter day.

+1

Fresh cooked damper and a mug of tea as the wood smoke drifts bye is the best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:01 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I use the Kelly Kettle. It's quite versatile and can boil water in 3 mins. Doesn't require any type of liquid fuel, just some dry twigs, pine cones or even dry grass. It's not the smallest cooking device compared to a jet stove but it robust and as long as you can find fuel it works. You can get various accessories for grilling and whatnot and it all packs up inside of the Kettle itself when broken down.

2007 DR650SE - Acerbis 5.3 gal tank, Acerbis X-Factor Handguards, Seat Concepts Commuter Seat, Manracks Outback Rear Rack, DirtRacks Heavy Duty Side Racks, FMF Q4 & Hi-Flo Header, Pro Taper CR High Bars, Parabellum Windscreen, Oxford Heated Grips, Procycle Jet Kit, Acerbis Skid Plate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:53 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I just have a esbit so far, I haven't used it much.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:41 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I've never relied upon a cooking stove for sustenance, but I did make this wood gasifier to boil water for coffee on a recent trip. It takes a handful of twigs and about 10 minutes of time to get the water going. I found a DIY tutorial to make it online from a couple grocery store cans. It works really well and cost about $10.
ImageDSCF0531 by Bromley, on Flickr
ImageDSCF0533 by Bromley, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:17 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

aph851 wrote:
I use the Kelly Kettle. It's quite versatile and can boil water in 3 mins. Doesn't require any type of liquid fuel, just some dry twigs, pine cones or even dry grass. It's not the smallest cooking device compared to a jet stove but it robust and as long as you can find fuel it works. You can get various accessories for grilling and whatnot and it all packs up inside of the Kettle itself when broken down.

Never came across this one before. I just started playing with a rocket stove. For convenience I will take along some wood pellets in a ziplock bag. It burns more consistently as well. Do you ever use them?

Dirtracks
Pelican cases
JNS low peg brackets
Motorcross Pegs
Manual tubes x 2
Hideneau Scouts
Chopped Fender
Rattle can flat black paint

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:56 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Here is a shot of the rocket stove using twigs. Sure is nice not having to carry fuel.

[Image[/url]

Dirtracks
Pelican cases
JNS low peg brackets
Motorcross Pegs
Manual tubes x 2
Hideneau Scouts
Chopped Fender
Rattle can flat black paint

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:53 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Kanuck wrote:
aph851 wrote:

Never came across this one before. I just started playing with a rocket stove. For convenience I will take along some wood pellets in a ziplock bag. It burns more consistently as well. Do you ever use them?

I am familiar with wood pellets but have never used them in the Kelly Kettle. I would be hesitant to use pellets since they are designed to be used in a pellet stove, however they may be useful if no dry fuel was available to get your fire going. I have made fire starters out of used egg cartons, wood chips and dryer lint mixed with paraffin wax as a reliable fire starter when things are damp. Just enough to get a suitable base going in the kettle.

2007 DR650SE - Acerbis 5.3 gal tank, Acerbis X-Factor Handguards, Seat Concepts Commuter Seat, Manracks Outback Rear Rack, DirtRacks Heavy Duty Side Racks, FMF Q4 & Hi-Flo Header, Pro Taper CR High Bars, Parabellum Windscreen, Oxford Heated Grips, Procycle Jet Kit, Acerbis Skid Plate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next