www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:54 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:15 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

locobaylor wrote:
...but I got tired of carrying multiple containers and now I have 5 containers that are 1/4 full sitting on my shelves.
That`s my biggest beef with butane cans too!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:43 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

bdesj wrote:
locobaylor wrote:
...but I got tired of carrying multiple containers and now I have 5 containers that are 1/4 full sitting on my shelves.
That`s my biggest beef with butane cans too!

Yeah hat is kind of a hassle. Shaking the container before packing up and guessing "Hmm is there enough left in this one for this trip." That's why I also bring my little titanium wood stove.

DR650
DRZ400
2 Sons, 1 Labrador, 1 Cat

Scoreboard:

Concussions: 1
Broken Bones: 5
Plates: 1
Screws: 8

Giggles a plenty...

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:29 am 

Ace! wrote:
I have a MSR Whisperlite, since about 1995.

:2_thumbsup: I use unleaded , I like the idea of having a common fuel so i'm always carrying some reserve. plus the pyrotechnics involved with lighting one of these is cheap entertainment!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:27 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Potentially coming around to trying camping again and wanted something to take along if I decide on a side of the road/trail lunch I bought a MSR whisperlite and a MSR 1.1 liter seagull camp pot (stove fits nicely inside the pot). So far I like it. The stove is very sturdy (I made a pot of chili for the family using a 6 quirt cast iron Dutch oven filled up 3/4 of the way) cooking for about 1-1/2 hours on high and then simmer it used about 5 ounces of white gas. So its pretty darn fuel efficient.

I am using denatured alcohol in the primer pan as it is cleaner than the unpressurized white gas. A 1 once bottle will last many primes and keeps the black soot on the exterior of the stove down dramatically.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:45 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I have two stoves.

MSR Dragonfly:
I've had this stove a real long time - 10+ years, and I got it second hand from my dad. This stove has been used to boil in excess of 3 gallons of water, has been used to cook for 7 people consistently day in, day out (on the road with the band). I still pull this one out occasionally - mostly for car camping, or for trips where I have space for it, and need it's versatility. I can actually COOK with this stove (as opposed to boiling water, or simply heating up a can of soup or what have you).

One other nice thing is that you can use just about anything in this stove for fuel - so it makes a great stove for international travel

Strengths: Wide spread flame, highly adjustable flame, robust and long lasting, can use a variety of fuel
Weaknesses: Bulky, heavyish (compared to my other stove).

MSR MicroRocket:
My "new" stove - just a few years on the market so far. This has become my go-to for moto camping (and bike camping too). It is extremely light, extremely small. It does offer lots of power, and does have an adjustable flame. Because it is so small, it doesn't work well with bigger pots, and can be tricky to "cook" with since the heat is condensed into such a small flame. Still, the stove works as intended, and has been dependable. Typical camp duty for my stove is boiling water for coffee, and heating up a meal (though I have cooked rice on it, and have also been able to cook eggs and bacon.) Not my first choice if we're trying to pan-fry a rib eye - but if I'm camping, I'll probably go over open flame anyhow.

Strengths: Just about the lightest and smallest stove I've seen. Adjustable flame.
Weaknesses: Fuel is more expensive, and it only takes canister style fuel (which is unfortunately not refillable (more waste). Flame is small, so it causes hot spots if left unchecked.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:55 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

locobaylor wrote:
I used to use the MSR pocket rocket, but I got tired of carrying multiple containers and now I have 5 containers that are 1/4 full sitting on my shelves. Now I carry a Vargo Triad alcohol stove; quiet, uses cheap gas that I can buy at any hardware store, and is super quiet compared to the jet-engine pocket rocket.

I have a system that works well for my gas cylinders:
I take the partly used cylinder and a new one, I use the partly used one until it runs out and then swap to the new one.
Now I have 1 container that is partly used, I have never had 5 partly used ones.
With the Windpro II the partly used cylinder seems to still produce a decent flame until it is pretty much empty.

I really like the ability to turn the flame up or down which I don't get with any of my alcohol stoves or my wood stoves.
I find turning the flame down to the lowest it will go without cutting out does help a lot when cooking bannock in a frying pan so it doesn't burn, mmmm - tasty bannock!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:39 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

What is bannock?

DR650
DRZ400
2 Sons, 1 Labrador, 1 Cat

Scoreboard:

Concussions: 1
Broken Bones: 5
Plates: 1
Screws: 8

Giggles a plenty...

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:42 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Bannock- can't say I have heard that expression before, and I live in NZ

My parents live in Bannockburn.

Back on topic , I use the gas canisters as well, with a Kovea head.

Rarely we have cooked on a camp fire which is messy but nice.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:02 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Bannock? Any relation to haddock? :s_dunno Fish?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:21 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

LostInPA wrote:
What is bannock?
I didn`t know either, but Google told me. Looks good. As noted though, definitely would require good heat control, not something I would try with my alcohol stove.

KiwiMark wrote:
I have a system that works well for my gas cylinders:
I take the partly used cylinder and a new one, I use the partly used one until it runs out and then swap to the new one.
Now I have 1 container that is partly used, I have never had 5 partly used ones.
Perfect system as long as you don`t mind carrying two fuel canisters on weekend trips. Those tiny little butane stoves suddenly get really bulky with a pair of fat steel cans along. Personally, I`m not willing to pack that much extra.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next