www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:02 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:15 pm 

StanBo wrote:
mda185 wrote:
CTDRrider wrote:
Nice pics Stan. that was loong haul on a DRZ.

It is funny how things change as we age. When I was 20, I would not have thought twice about taking a ride of that length on a bike like the DRZ. Back then, I had a Honda SL125 enduro and a Suzuki 250 Hustler street bike. The DRZ is more competent than both of them in the dirt and on the street. In middle age, I feel like I need at least a 650 twin (like V Strom) and my actual road bikes are 1100cc or bigger. I have a feeling my new-to-me DR is going to change that.

MDA how old are you now? I am 40 and found the ride to be fine. There are times I see bigger adventure bikes and long for twin pistons and power. A seat that isn't shaped like a 2x4. But I love the DRZ. I drop it all the time. It doesn't seem to mind it and I can pick it up solo with ease.

I hope the DR changes that and you pile some big miles.

I have goals of hitting the TAT and going to Alaska on this thing.

I am 59 years old. Struggling with really bad arthritis in my left hip right now and have lost a lot of muscle and gained weight since the hip started bothering me. No cartilage left in the joint. It is bone on bone. I get a replacement hip in September and intend to be riding again before the snow falls. I also have goal to do at least part of the TAT. The backcountry discovery routes in Colorado, Utah and Idaho also look real interesting to me. My dad is 93 and still plays tennis and skis so I figure I have some years left to enjoy riding as long as I take care of myself and lose some of the extra weight i am carrying. Doc told me the hip wore out because of the weight and the fact that I was still pretty active.

I definitely want to try some longer rides on the DR. I am selling my 2008 GS Adventure but keeping my 97 BMW R1100RS. That is a great long distance mount and I am experimenting with putting GS wheels and suspension on it. You will probably see me in the Pine Barrens on that thing before too long. Selling my DRZ also. I like the ergonomics of the DR better even though it is heavy.

89 Hawk GT, Fox adjustable rear shock, Race Tech emulators and springs in front forks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:35 am 

mda185 wrote:
I am 59 years old. Struggling with really bad arthritis in my left hip right now and have lost a lot of muscle and gained weight since the hip started bothering me. No cartilage left in the joint. It is bone on bone. I get a replacement hip in September and intend to be riding again before the snow falls. I also have goal to do at least part of the TAT. The backcountry discovery routes in Colorado, Utah and Idaho also look real interesting to me. My dad is 93 and still plays tennis and skis so I figure I have some years left to enjoy riding as long as I take care of myself and lose some of the extra weight i am carrying. Doc told me the hip wore out because of the weight and the fact that I was still pretty active.

I definitely want to try some longer rides on the DR. I am selling my 2008 GS Adventure but keeping my 97 BMW R1100RS. That is a great long distance mount and I am experimenting with putting GS wheels and suspension on it. You will probably see me in the Pine Barrens on that thing before too long. Selling my DRZ also. I like the ergonomics of the DR better even though it is heavy.

I hope your new hip works out well.

A modded would be a lot like my versys modded for dirt. Pretty cool and I can't wait to see that.

I wonder what my drz weighs with the extra fuel and racks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:14 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

N3YMY wrote:
II have no idea what's going on location wise at this time.

Plans have firmed up for me, I'll be riding AOAA 5-14Aug16.

See Tim's AOAA thread for details...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8