www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:55 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:46 am 

First, hello! I bought myself a nice German '89 DR600 with 58,000km. Love the simplicity of the bike and the very low price.

I am halfway through a 4 year tour. I was almost two years in Africa, riding a trusty CG125. That motorcycle did 70,000km and I knew it back to front. Left it in Namibia, and now this strange new DR600 needs to last me for a full year, mostly in Russia and Mongolia, roughly 40,000km

1. Aside from the obvious (plugs, filters, tubes), what spare parts should I bring for an extended tour on this model? What is likely to go wrong in 40,000km? I assume there will be no parts for this bike in Russia. A little research shows things like CDIs fail occasionally. Any other weak spots?

I got the motorcycle for cheap because of a high-rpm miss. The previous owner replaced the air filter and ultrasonic cleaned the carb then gave up (it starts and runs great until very high RPM). First thing I did, I took off the top airbox lid, and now she runs perfectly through the whole rev range.

2. As long as the plugs look OK, is there any problem with running with no airbox lid? The jets are stock, I'm not sure why it wouldn't run properly with the lid on.

Edit - Found an English manual. 135 main and #20 pilot. What are the stock Mikuni jet sizes?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:13 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

The only thing I really needed on my 93' was: 1-decompression cable wore out, 2-rear brake light bulb holder wears out from vibration, 3-seal for the drive shaft where it comes out of the case, 4-burnt up a clutch hauling the wife up an old mine road, 5-front headlight burnt out at 22 yrs (interesting the exact same bulb still available and it said "Honda" on the box) 6-rear shock seal and front fork seals blew out at around 20 yrs, 7-tightened up the balancer chain

Never had an ignition problem [knock on wood] :old:

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:48 am 

Good bike, I understand the oil seals for the decompression levers will leak after time due to the heat they experience so take some spares I have had this on some of my DRs. Go for a genuine Suzuki seal as they are a special more heat tolerant seal.Take a look at this page for the service history of a DR600 doing over 200,000 km around the whole for example of what to expect, which is very little problems

http://www.bikebrothers.nl/the%20bikes.html

. I think the later DR600s such as yours had a different CDI, a two pickup system versus the early single pickup version. The later version are supposed to be better. Some people have had the alternator windings burn up but you never can be sure if they were just running too much load via big wattage bulbs or other loads. Best of luck. You can get after market electronic ignitions for a reasonable price that a,low you to program the ignition advance curve and has a choice of 2 switchable curves, useful if you want to map one for low octane fuel. Best if luck and would love to hear how the trip goes,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:57 pm 

Niiice! Even though its almost a year since the last replies, I dont think I'm going to need to mess with my 85 SP600. Maybe replace the bottom cylinder gasket. Already checked the valves, and got a 95% leakdown test after adjusting one exhaust valve about .001. I have just under 13000 miles overall. Ill finish the inspection, and ride it. Y'all still have to wait for pics. Cheers. :drinks: