www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:28 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:04 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

The guy who rebuilt my DR mentioned something about there being an alternative mounting for the rear suspension which lowered the bike, but I can't see any possibility of doing this. I quite possibly misunderstood his advice, but if there is a way I'd like to know it.

With the spring at minimum compression the tail light is 36 inches high, and my inside leg is 32 inches -- so getting my leg above the horizontal is an ever increasing threat to what's left of my dignity.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Dr.Oss.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:44 pm 
DRRiders Technical Documentation Expert

Move the bolt to the upper hole, drops the rear 1-1/2", then slip the forks up 'an inch or so'. This is a half a$$ed way and should only be a temporary trial following up later if you decide you want to stick with the 1-1/2" lowering.

Threewheelbonnie:
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

My DR650 technical photos (but none of the cool stories that go with 'em), FEEL FREE TO COPY AND SHARE: http://er70s-2.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Motorcycling

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:56 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Dr.Oss wrote:
[...]
With the spring at minimum compression the tail light is 36 inches high, and my inside leg is 32 inches -- so getting my leg above the horizontal is an ever increasing threat to what's left of my dignity.

Dr.Oss.

At 32" I wouldn't even consider lowering ( I have a 32-33" inseam and with decent boots I can still stand on both my feet's balls). Do you have a problem keeping your balance standing still?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:18 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Quote:
Do you have a problem keeping your balance standing still?

Usually after 11-12 PM...

2 nuts, 2 wheels, 2 beers...
OK, so what's the speed of dark?
You gotta have SACS to ride a DR!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:44 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Dr.Oss wrote:
my inside leg is 32 inches -- so getting my leg above the horizontal is an ever increasing threat to what's left of my dignity.

Dr.Oss.

If you're not having trouble once seated, to get on, just stand on the peg when you throw your leg over.

and if you still need to, the instructions to lower the shock is in the workshop manual. you'll need to remove the shock and reverse the bottom spring seat holder. Don't forget if you lower the rear you also need to lower the front.

BST Magic, 2" hole in airbox, snorkle removed, drilled 2x 3mm slide, 20mm tapered needle, white D spacer "off shelf" 3rd clip down, #155 Mikuni main and #45 pilot jet. Spring cut to 100mm, air screw 2 turns out

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:31 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Dr.Oss wrote:

Dr.Oss.

This sounds as if you may have some years on you. If you can't throw a leg over while standing on the ground, just step on the footpeg. With a 32" inseam, you should be able to get the balls of your feet down when the sag is set properly. If you need a little more, a lower seat should do the trick and you wouldn't lose any ground clearance or suspension travel.
My inseam is a measly 28" so I had to do the lowering. Done per the factory method, this drops the bike 1.7".