www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 6:36 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:13 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

There has been a little talk about this, but it has not gone into serious discusion yet. I`m willing to try my hand at organizing, thought I`d start by finding out who/how many are interested and what dates best fit the most folks, then the process can go dormant for a while if it looks like a long ways off still.

I don`t know how long we`ll end up taking for the trip, but I earmarked a week of vacation to make sure I have it covered. A Black Rock 101 intro ride really needs about 24 hours up there in "the `hood", and that would be for only a playa romp or only a more northern exploration. 2 days up north would make for a very nice trip. Additional time obviously allows for checking out more sites, and there are plenty of options to fit just about any time frame. For anybody comming from I-80, figure Reno + 2 hours to get to Gerlach via highway (scenic, low traffic highway) or 3+ hours by dirt, depending on exact route and how much stopping along the way. If anybody wants to come down from the north, time estimates are on you, but it would be very easy to rendezvous in Gerlach (I have enough experience with roads from Gerlach up into Oregon to help with routing if you want, but my time estimates would be very vague). For any NorCal or northern NV characters (or anybody else for that matter), I can offer yard or couch camping and nearly unlimited parking at my house just north of Reno. It`s actually situated in a pretty good place to stage a north desert trip from, with some tasty options for routes to and from.

High Rock Canyon (a definite high point when in that area) opens to motorized travel in mid May, so should not be a problem, BUT it has water crossings which will might be pushing things very early in the season. For general weather, spring and fall are best IMO, but the base elevation around there is about 4000 ft, so it isn`t like Death Valley. If we end up with a summer trip, it will still be possible to enjoy ourselves. The playa is only travelable when dry. It has already dried out for this year initially, but will be wet and dry again several times- no way to plan ahead for that one. For what its worth, while it IS fun to play on, and some really neat places pretty much require playa driving to get to, the best stuff up there is actually up away from it, so only a minor bummer if we need to stay off. The Burning Man festival is a huge influence on the whole region and must be considered. It lasts a week and ends on Labor Day (will be Aug 28 through Sep 5 this year). There is no way in hell anybody is going to drag me to or through Gerlach on that week or a week on either side of those dates. However (!!!), if you go out one additional week before or after, you can still get through the area without any real problems, and get to see a bit of the circus ramping up or phasing out as a bonus, which is really kind of cool.

I already have a non-moveable vacation planned for the week of May 22-28 (week leading up to Memorial Day) and will be taking two weeks SOME TIME during summer vacation (wife works at a school), can still play with the dates on that one for a few more weeks, but will need to buy plane tickets by late April and lock it in. Ideally for me, I would aim for some time within the frame of Sep 14 through 18 because a local event in my own area tends to disrupt my peaceful home life so I usually take vacation around there in order to get out of Dodge. So that`s my personal preference, but can easily go at a different time if more convenient for other riders who would like to go.

Aside from timing, a few more points to consider if you`d like to go.There are few services to be found in the "Nevada Outback". All of them can be had within the Gerlach/Empire metropolitan district... gas, motel, restaurant, BASIC supplies from a small general store, pay phone, cell phone coverage for some (mine occasionally works from Empire, never from Gerlach, others have better luck). The next nearest towns all offer similar. Those include Cedarville CA, Adel OR, Fields OR, Winnemucca NV (the biggest of the lot). As of last fall, Denio and Denio Jct had no gas for sale, restaurant closed, store reduced to mostly just chips and sodas- probably has not changed since. Soldier Meadows Ranch offers some services, but not really a drop-in kind of place. We did buy gasoline from them, but it was prearranged and they made it clear that they prefer NOT to deal in gas, were doing it as a favor. They are good folks though, and if the group wants to, I would not be opposed to paying the small fee they charge for camping (and showers), otherwise, camping is free but completely undeveloped. Suggested fuel range is about 200 miles (more is nice so we can share if need be, less can probably be acommodated by buddies or by careful route planning). Figure on carrying most of your food along with you- depending on how we work it, we can get a few good meals either in Gerlach or at Soldier Meadows. There is some "wild" water to be found, but it is not plentiful. Again, routing details will determine how much you need to carry, but figure on 24 hours worth as a general suggestion.

That`s all that occurs to me to write for now, if anybody has questions, let them rip and i will try to answer them. So, who`s in or considering? How much time would you want to devote to the trip? If you can say yet, what dates can you "definitely" "maybe" or "definitely not" go?

EDIT: I will be inviting two buddies riding non-DRs. Can`t say whether or not they will actually go, but their invite is non negotiable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:03 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Depending on the time (vacation already planned) of year, sounds like a great trip. I can defiantly do at least 3 days or more as I get 3 day weekends but can take another day or two off for it. I've seen pictures of it, yes!

Let's try and get this planned. I've missed 2 trips in the past, Hollister because of rain and the November ride because of work, but I want to do a ride!

Last edited by Elwaupo on Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:09 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

A few buddies and I will me making a quick romp through the area on May 14-16. Will be keeping an eye on this thread to see how it shakes out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:00 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:39 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

A few Black Rock pics in and around the Double Hot Springs area. Spectacular!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:30 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Thank you for moving over to help keep consolidated, Waupo!

Nice to see you`re interested guys. Can anybody give some ideas when they might or might not be able? Or how long you would want to go for? I know Uber has plans for a long trip on the divide some time this year, but don`t remember when. And Waupo mentioned a vacation already cemented in, but didn`t give the dates.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:52 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

My big trip is Aug 13- Sept 4th. Doubtful you would want to tackle your ride during that time anyway. I could probably squeeze out a four day break with enough notice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:12 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Hmmm... other than Uberkul, a week worth of silence.
So, here`s what I`m going to assume: Four days is probably the max that most folks can invest into a trip like this. Figuring most of a day to and from Gerlach for most, that leaves a solid two days up north, which is pretty good. Will probably look at early afternoon staging from Reno on the northbound leg, one last morning camped in the desert and early return to Reno and beyond for the last day? I guess that should work out pretty well for people coming from central valleys or the bay. Could be a Thurs through Sun or a Fri through Mon thing, to be decided closer at hand when everybodys schedules are easier to firm up.

Will also assume that fall is fine for most, maybe even air races weekend, when I typically try to escape anyway. Unless somebody shouts otherwise, I`ll temporarily abandon this thread, bring it back again in the summer. Happy trails, gang!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:23 am 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

Uberkul wrote:
A few buddies and I will me making a quick romp through the area on May 14-16. Will be keeping an eye on this thread to see how it shakes out.
My chances of making it in the fall are not great, but the weekend of May 14-16 is a possibility. If I haul the bike in to Iveson Ranch, arriving by Friday evening, it's a place that offers camping, where I can leave my vehicle and ride from there Saturday morning. This is about 27 miles north of Gerlach, off road 34, and at least on the map it looks like a good location from which to jump off into the High Rock Lake & Black Rock Wilderness areas, both further north. Just throwing out an idea, if anyone thinks we could work something out along these lines. Or if there is a better place to leave my vehicle for a day or two I am all ears.
:lurk:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:53 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

WR, would you stand a better chance of making a group ride at a different time? If so, when might that be? Maybe no way to accomodate everybody in one shot, but if you don`t manage to hook up with any group, remember that I`m always thrilled to put on my tour guide hat.

I had never heard of Iveson, but Googled it up. Yes, that`s a great location for any Black Rock/High Rock explorations. It would be easy access, either on or right after the paved portion of 34. Another option would be the Yella Dog Ranch, slightly closer to you and about the same distance from Cedarville CA as Iveson is from Gerlach. Yella Dog would be just as good for "upcountry" riding, but Iveson is definitely closer to the big playa. You migth contact both and see if you like the vibes from one or the other better. Soldier Meadows also offers camping spots for relatively cheap, but it`s almost 60 miles from Gerlach, mostly unpaved. Don`t get much prettier than SM, though. EDIT: there is also the motel in Gerlach- inexpensive, mixed reviews as to its comfort and housekeeping though I thought it was okay the one time I stayed there.

It sounds like you are looking for a place somewhat secure? If you want to just park and go, most of that area is BLM, though some parts are a weird pseudo wilderness designation with their own limitations on how many people can camp where. A lot of people do base camp for free on public land, but I think probably better idea with a big bunch of vehicles so it isn`t obvious whether or not anybody is in the campsite. Or carry it all with you, of course.