www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:28 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:55 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I'm going on the ride with uberkul....

Also Check out my Facebook Page here---> Beyond2Wheels on Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:59 pm 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

bdesj wrote:
WR, would you stand a better chance of making a group ride at a different time? If so, when might that be? Maybe no way to accomodate everybody in one shot, but if you don`t manage to hook up with any group, remember that I`m always thrilled to put on my tour guide hat.
My time up to early summer is flexible with some advance notice. I mention the weekend of May 14-16 for the possibility of coordinating a ride with Uberkul's group. So yes, if that doesn't work out another time will.
bdesj wrote:
I had never heard of Iveson, but Googled it up. Yes, that`s a great location for any Black Rock/High Rock explorations. It would be easy access, either on or right after the paved portion of 34. Another option would be the Yella Dog Ranch, slightly closer to you and about the same distance from Cedarville CA as Iveson is from Gerlach. Yella Dog would be just as good for "upcountry" riding, but Iveson is definitely closer to the big playa. You migth contact both and see if you like the vibes from one or the other better. Soldier Meadows also offers camping spots for relatively cheap, but it`s almost 60 miles from Gerlach, mostly unpaved. Don`t get much prettier than SM, though. EDIT: there is also the motel in Gerlach- inexpensive, mixed reviews as to its comfort and housekeeping though I thought it was okay the one time I stayed there.
I located Old Yella Dog Ranch, adjacent to the ghost town Vya. It's a shorter drive but I think the Iveson Ranch has more potential to meet Uberkul's group. I won't need a motel since I'll be in the RV, but I do need to prepare for camping with only what I can carry on the bike. As you know, my wife rides along as passenger a lot, on-road and off, so without her I should be able to carry everything needed plus the kitchen sink.
:rofl: But really, yes I'll have to put some thought into that.
bdesj wrote:
It sounds like you are looking for a place somewhat secure? If you want to just park and go, most of that area is BLM, though some parts are a weird pseudo wilderness designation with their own limitations on how many people can camp where. A lot of people do base camp for free on public land, but I think probably better idea with a big bunch of vehicles so it isn`t obvious whether or not anybody is in the campsite. Or carry it all with you, of course.
I spoke with Sylvia at the Iveson Ranch, who says parking at their place while off riding is completely safe, $35 per night whether I'm there or not. :sarcastic: I'll pay that once to give the place a try and for the security in an area I'm not familiar with. They've got plenty of water and cooking facilities for overnighters.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:16 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I wonder if June would be better than September for most. Yes? No?

No Mrs WoodRat for the Nevada trip? You`ll certainly have to make that one up to her!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:22 am 

Edit: Uberkul's new topic "Black Rock Desert Ride". If I can break away at that time I will try to join them on the upper loop portion north of Gerlach.

My wife has no problem with me taking off for a little moto recreation on my own. She's not so fond of the dust and mud part of offroading, and anyway, she just returned from a week in Japan accompanied by our daughter and son-in-law, visiting family and seeing the sites. It's just a matter of when my work is at a point that I can leave it for a few days.

Edit: Of course I will be interested when something jells where you're leading a ride. Again, I expect I would haul in and intercept your ride north of Gerlach.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:46 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

WoodRat wrote:
Uberkul's group will now be doing their ride in mid-June, see his new topic "Black Rock Desert Ride". If I can break away at that time I will try to join them on the upper loop portion north of Gerlach

I read that and realized I posted the wrong dates :idea: .
Silly me, changed to May as originally intended.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:54 am 

Uberkul wrote:
WoodRat wrote:
Uberkul's group will now be doing their ride in mid-June, see his new topic "Black Rock Desert Ride". If I can break away at that time I will try to join them on the upper loop portion north of Gerlach

I read that and realized I posted the wrong dates :idea: .
Silly me, changed to May as originally intended.
Alrighty then, I guess my options are to merge with you in May or possibly join up with Bdesj in June, if he has something together then.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:43 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

bdesj wrote:
I wonder if June would be better than September for most. Yes? No?

No Mrs WoodRat for the Nevada trip? You`ll certainly have to make that one up to her!

In my 6 or 7 trips out to the Black Rock over the last 10 years or so ... we always went in early October .... shortly after
Burning man, around Chucker hunting season time and the Rocketeer Festival. (awesome)

Only once did we get rain/wind. And that was only one day out of 4. So, October seems pretty good in my experience. Sept. may still be a bit warm, but I think that varies year to year. It it rains a lot the Playas become mud bogs you won't get out of. :bumps:

For sure ... don't ride out there during Burning Man (August) time ... two weeks before and after it's a HIVE of activity ...you would not recognize the area during Burning Man. It's a BIG DEAL! Thousands of people/support. The good news?
They clean up after so good after you never know they were there. :good:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:45 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Grifter, it`s mostly a question of when people can swing it. It is nice in the fall, but it`s just as nice in the spring and even summer and winter give it a different flavor.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:38 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Like I said earlier, I'm on vacation in late June/early July but free after that. Don't know how hot it gets July/August but I'm up for anything

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:26 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

So is this trip gonna happen? I missed out on Uberkuls trip to this destination, so just wondering? I'm in for any time after the first weekend in August.

Also Check out my Facebook Page here---> Beyond2Wheels on Facebook

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next