www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:48 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:42 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I just installed my new TM40 the other day and it seems pretty good, but I really want to get it dialed right in.

I'm looking for someone near Abbotsford who knows about carbs and is familiar with the TM40 to help me get it properly tuned. I don't know anything about carburetors and really have no idea what I'm doing. I'm more than happy to pay you for your troubles.

Thanks,
Kris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:46 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Not that I live near you, or have any knowledge of TM40's, but where did you buy it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:57 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Procycle.

I gave them my airbox, air filter, elevation, exhaust info, and they sent it out with the 150 main jet and needle in the third position. They said it should be good like that, and I did take it out for a quick rip. It seems to run fine, but I want to get it totally dialed in for a nice balance between performance and fuel economy.

I just need to mess around with the mixture screws, accelerator pump settings, etc, but I don't really know anything about it. Would be nice to have someone knowledgeable to walk me through it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:07 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

kagia wrote:

[..] It seems to run fine

I would say, start riding it, and make mental notes of anything that doesn't feel right. Like a surging feeling at a certain speed, a bogging effect from standstill, at sudden stutter while trying to accellerate, etc.

Chances are it's just fine. And if not, share your mental notes here :-)

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:32 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Took it out for another rip last night.

I started riding with that long screw with the white plastic knob three turns out. It seems to idle way too high until I open it to 3.75 to 4 turns out. At 3.75 it still seemed to pop quite a bit on deceleration and my header was glowing bright red when I got home, so I'm guessing 3.75 is too lean. 4 turns out seemed pretty good, but the manual says that anything more than 3.5 turns is no good. Do I need to put in a different jet or adjust the needle position?

Also, this feels like a dumb question, but does it make sense that the idle jumps up when I lean the bike on the side stand? I didn't notice this at all with the stock carb, but it's quite noticeable now.

And what is the small brass screw at the bottom of the carb for? Should I be adjusting that at all?

It seemed to run well no matter what I did. No bogging or stuttering, pulled hard, good enough throttle response.

What should my next move be?

Thanks.

- 150 main jet, needle in third position, big hole cut in top of airbox, stock can right now and have ordered new Leo Vince can from PC.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:27 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The white knob on the side is for adjusting the idle speed. Suzuki wants the motor to idle at 1500 RPM.

The brass screw on the bottom is for adjusting the idle mixture. 2 turns out is a good starting point on this but it should be fine tuned after installation to match the needs of the particular bike.

To adjust the mixture on the TM40 start with the motor fully warmed up - after 5-10 miles of spirited riding. Turn the screw in and out to identify where the motor idles smoothest and strongest. Too far out will make the idle mixture too rich and the idle speed will start to drop and the idle quality will sound labored. Too far in will make the idle mixture too lean. Again the idle speed will drop and the idle quality will get rough. This 'sweet spot' will be a range that might cover 1/2-3/4 of a turn. Set the mixture screw to the lean end of this range.

Re-adjust the idle speed after setting the mixture screw.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:13 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Perfect!

Thanks for explaining this. It helps a lot!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:21 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

How about the accelerator pump adjustment?

The manual says to set the pump so it starts just off idle, so that's what I did.

I have recently read elsewhere though, that these instructions are for TM40 use on Harleys, where you want the fuel stream to hit the needle to split the stream evenly between the two cylinders, and that this might not exactly be ideal for the singles.

Can anyone comment on this? How do you have your accelerator pump adjusted? What seems to work best?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:05 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

How about the accelerator pump adjustment?

The manual says to set the pump so it starts just off idle, so that's what I did.

I have recently read elsewhere though, that these instructions are for TM40 use on Harleys, where you want the fuel stream to hit the needle to split the stream evenly between the two cylinders, and that this might not exactly be ideal for the singles.

Can anyone comment on this? How do you have your accelerator pump adjusted? What seems to work best?
We already adjusted the AP before sending it out. Making it squirt too soon will cause a rich bog just off idle. We like to see a 0.080" - 0.100" gap at the top of the AP rod.

On the DR650 it is not necessary to aim the AP nozzle to hit the needle.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:01 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

And we still want it to stop at about 3/4 throttle?