www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 10:52 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:36 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I like it to stop somewhere around 2/3 throttle. 3/4 throttle is ok but the squirt doesn't have much affect once the throttle is open that far.
If you are going to tune the AP settings the main thing to know is to only allow it to squirt the minimum necessary to provide good throttle response. You can experiment with starting the squirt later (larger gap at the top of the rod) Too large a gap will cause a slight hesitation. You want the gap to be as big as it can be and still run and respond crisply. Same for the stop that limits AP travel. Stop it as early as you can without sacrificing throttle response. Having a little too much squirt is OK but just wastes fuel. Having way too much squirt will cause a rich bog.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:52 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Thank you. This is all very helpful stuff.

You've explained it in a way that even I can understand, and I can't wait to get the bike out later and try to get it dialed in! 22 degrees celsius up here today! :Roost:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:27 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Anybody in or near Abbotsford wanna help me out with this? I think I'm about ready to throw in the towel. I'd rather get help from somebody who actually has the same type of setup as me than bring it to a dealer. Will make it worth your while.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:50 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

kagia wrote:
I just installed my new TM40 the other day and it seems pretty good, but I really want to get it dialed right in.
Kris

out of curiosity what do you mean by "get it dialed in right", where do you feel it could use improvement? Idle, throttle response, low end, mid range, top end?

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:51 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

That's the thing. The performance seems fine once I get going. Doesn't seem to stutter, stumble, or bog, but It runs like sh*t for a while after I start it. Usually stalls two or three times before it gets warm. Never did that before.

The header glows red hot, sometimes only after riding for a couple minutes and not even in very hot weather.

The popping is so bad that I haven't even been riding it lately. It's very excessive.

I have idle issues ever since installing the TM40. Idle increases when bike is leaned on the side stand and decreases when upright. Nothing crazy, but when the bike is cold, it's enough to kill the engine. Checked the cables and everything seems good.

I could be wrong but my mileage seems off. With the IMS 4.9g tank, I'm lucky to get about 275km before reserve.

Also, I've just messed with the idle mixture and idle speed so much and really don't know what I'm doing. It would be nice to have someone experienced check it out and see how they would adjust it.

Details:
TM40 with 150 main jet and needle in third position, top of airbox cut open, DT1 air filter, FMF Powerbomb header, Leo Vince Enduro X3 muffler with short baffle installed, about 150' above sea level.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:03 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I'd double check your cables and choke. It's sensitive to that stuff.

I didn't push the choke button all the way in a few days ago after startup, and it stalled on me and wouldn't start. I fiddled with it, saw that the choke was just a little bit out, and pushed it in. Started right up.

If it's running that badly, something's off. Check your float level (that's all I can think of for the sidestand issue) and look for air leaks, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:10 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Thanks to everybody for the advice. I really apreciate it, but I'm about done with this. I've done all I can, given my limited mechanical ability. Bike had badically been sitting for the better part of the last three weeks. Don't even want to ride it anymore till it's squared away. I'm ready to bring it somewhere and pay to have it worked on.

Can anybody recommend a good local mechanic, preferably who is familiar with the DR? Don't think I wanna bring it to any of the local dealers, but am happy to pay a good mechanic dealer rate to get my bike running correctly. I'm located in Abbotsford.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:01 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Sorry to hear that. Wish I could be more helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:56 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Thanks to everybody for the advice. I really apreciate it, but I'm about done with this. I've done all I can, given my limited mechanical ability. Bike had badically been sitting for the better part of the last three weeks. Don't even want to ride it anymore till it's squared away. I'm ready to bring it somewhere and pay to have it worked on.

Can anybody recommend a good local mechanic, preferably who is familiar with the DR? Don't think I wanna bring it to any of the local dealers, but am happy to pay a good mechanic dealer rate to get my bike running correctly. I'm located in Abbotsford.

I could do it for ya but I live a good days ride from you.Happy to help though.