www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:54 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:14 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

First post. Hope it belongs here. Mods pls move if not.

Through a series of events, I now own this bike.
None of the parts fit right and the engine was sloppily installed and the down tube of the frame has cracked a few inches below the steerer. It's only bolted to the bottom mounts, no top, and the rear have cracked. Part of the oil reservoir was cut away to fit the 97 650 engine.
I'll share more on the overall bike, but first I was hoping you folks could share some thoughts on where and how you'd reinforce the frame. Will attach pics in a bit.
Thanks!

Attachments:
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG [ 124.71 KiB | Viewed 1306 times ]
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 138.88 KiB | Viewed 1306 times ]
photo 5.JPG
photo 5.JPG [ 96.71 KiB | Viewed 1306 times ]
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG [ 102.22 KiB | Viewed 1306 times ]

Last edited by Doode on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:30 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Wow! That's a hacked up mess isn't it? :OMG: If you have the welding ability and the means to repair and strengthen the frame it might be an interesting project. Hopefully the "series of events" didn't involve too large of a cash outlay.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:32 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Looks like the PO had to cut and lower the frame under the engine to get the 650 engine to fit. I have both a 650 and a 350, but I don't understand the reasoning for stuffing a large wet sump engine into a smaller dry sump frame. Your best bet is to look for a used DR650 with a blown engine for cheap and swap your engine, USD forks, etc on to that bike.

Though project bikes are cool so if you do decide to keep going, I look forward to reading about it and will help as much as I can. :lurk:

'65 Honda CB160
'06 Honda CRF50F

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:34 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Yeah .. .a headscratcher of why don'nit .. .
But, I'm not one to point fingers, given the bad idea engines I've stuffed into 'badder idea frames in my lifetime. :empathy:
That said, were it in my garage were my loving wife had exiled me into for being too primal and grease smelly:

I'd :
Build a cheapo' angle iron fixture to hold frame from the rear/upper, then fab a temp upper engine bracket to frame/ fixture that keeps the css in proper position, ( with an upper rear case support also). . .. then go to it elsewhere for fitting. Move/fit/weld whatever. When that's done, come back to the temps. Mod the order if fit dictates. Either way, it's not going to do 150 mph, nor will it have to fly, so there's a lot of leeway on position as long as that css stays there. Just a suggestion..

Done this way is truly easier & faster, even with the the fixture fab. Time will be made up once NOTHING gets out of whaCK. I've buggered up more stuff as a noob to last a lifetime. " You never have time to do it right, but you'll always have time to do it over." Doing it over really sucks. :s_smile Fixtures keep it honest right down to the last bead of weld. :2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:44 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

We all know there are folks on this site searching for a serviceable engine, make some money, save your sanity, make someone happy!

2 nuts, 2 wheels, 2 beers...
OK, so what's the speed of dark?
You gotta have SACS to ride a DR!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:59 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Hey Doodle,

welcome to this asylum!

This bike is an interesting job, but to be honest, I wouldn't know how or where to start. If the countersprocket is in line with the rear wheel, and engine is sort of in centerline with the frame, that would be a good start. And the odds are the engine will line up in the frame, after all, the DR350 rear wheel drops right into the DR650.

Next you want the engine to be mounted to the frame in at least 3 places, most likely four, just like stock. You'll end up shimming the engine in place with pieces of wood, and creating mounting brackets from plywood or cardboard. Very McGuyver it. Wile you are doing so you want to make sure the engine can breathe, so does the carburetor fit? Was the frame whacked, did you say that? You'll want to fix that as well one day...

But to be honest, this is kind of a "against knowing better" job. Like has been said before, you may want to find a DR without, or with a broken engine, and transplant this engine, the forks, the rear wheel maybe..... or a slaughterfest and sell whatever's still worth any money.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:28 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Max Kool wrote:
But to be honest, this is kind of a "against knowing better" job. Like has been said before, you may want to find a DR without, or with a broken engine, and transplant this engine, the forks, the rear wheel maybe..... or a slaughterfest and sell whatever's still worth any money.

This.

How much is your time worth? Are you sure, after it's all done, that this will ride any better than a stock DR650?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:59 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

hey all, thanks for the warm welcome and your thoughts.

locknut, thanks for the fab tips. i dont weld well enough to trust myself with this project... but hopefully someday. the price paid for this mess is enough for me to feel like a moron. hands down, the worst part of the transaction is the fact the seller lied and misrepresented pretty much everything about the bike without remorse, and i believed all of it like a chump. thats what i get for dealing with so many honest people, i suppose. but, whats done is done - and hopefully ill get it going before too long.

the engine appears to be in the same shape as the rest of the project, has rtv smeared all over it and if the odo is accurate, may possibly have well over 65k on it. the bike is now at the local moto welder. im going to layout all the areas i want reinforced, and engine mounting points added, and was hoping you guys here knew of some particular areas that could use attention. nothing like putting good money into a bad project!

the carb definitely does not fit, and the backbone needs to be carved out to make it sit upright... and even then, there is no room for a filter as it bumps against the suspension. the front cylinder head fins are touching the frame... and you can see where the frame has worn away part of the fins from the vibration.

the gas tank is rotted and jb welded on the bottom, and too large for the bike, and the PO drove it with it rested on the engine and carb. the forks bumped against the tank when you turned the bars, and oil cooler lines are rigged all crazy with one thats kinked a little. wiring harness is all taken apart with a few wires split in two from being caught between the engine and tank. needs new tires, rear tube is flatted, brake pads are worn down to nothing, and ignition switch is beyond broken.

so thats all for now. i certainly wanted a stock 650, and thought i was getting a (close to) stock 650, but bad went to worse and here i am. this is much more interesting(and frustrating/stressful moneypit) than a stock 650, and hopefully once done will be worth the effort. thanks for any and all info to help me out. ill keep you updated as i go. first step is the frame...

edit:
realized i forgot to address a couple things mentioned above
• engine seems to mount up fine to the bottom brackets... theyre basically supporting the whole thing at the moment.
• counter sprocket chain alignment looks good
• usd forks probably played an additional role in the frame cracking the way it did. id like to keep them, but concerned stress cracks will continue to develop. id like to overly brace this frame now to prevent having to do this again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:36 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Did they actually had this running before you got it?

:OMG:

(If you ever decide to slaughter it, and the rear wheel has a cush, pm me pls)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:15 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Rumor has it that it ran... or how else would that crack get there? Haha!
If you're in Los Angeles, you can come cove and ride it once it's back together!