www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:31 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:35 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Last month I basically stole a 2012 DR for $3750. Found it at a local shop, 100% bone stock, not a blemish on it, the only thing the previous owner did to it beside the measly 3600 miles was scratch off the warning label on the inside of the right hand roost guard. I have already transferred most of the parts from my '99 over to it; DR350 taillight, aluminum license plate bracket, case saver, quick change sprocket clip, DG exhaust, chain guide, K&N filter, and the big tool tube. I still have a few things that I need to transfer like my SS brake lines, filter magnet, magnet drain plug, Raptor petcock and Dirt Skinz. I'm not sure yet if I'll be pulling the 250W stator, FCR, Dunlop 606s and 520 chain/sprockets or keep those as added perks when I sell it. The reason I'm not jumping all over the FCR is because my buddy has the one from his YFZ450 that I can have, yes I'll have to mod it, but I can wait to chop up the air box and I don't want the '99 to risk running too lean with the stock BST and barely a remnant of an air box. Along with the FCR he has a set of Acerbis "bark busters" that he had on his Grom and won't fit anymore now that he got the high rise fat bars. I have already ordered my tard kit which should be here this week so I'll transfer the brake lines at that time, this kit came with a Vapor so I won't be ripping that out. Anywho, once I get everything I need/want swapped out, I will be putting the '99 up for sale. This definitely won't be the first motard I've ridden but it will be the first I've owned for street use since the Democratic Republic of Commifornia won't let me turn my CRF450X street legal. I guess it's kind of a good thing because even though it's a wheelie monster, I much prefer service intervals to be in 1000s of miles as opposed to 10s of hours. Can't wait!

Don't lose any sleep over it. It's a DR, a two wheeled farm tractor. Not a space shuttle.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:04 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

If your SS braided lines are more than a couple of years old I'd consider just buying new ones. I have used this guy before and will again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUELL-BMW-MOTOR ... u9&vxp=mtr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:40 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

So I got the conversion done have just been having too much fun to update this. :sorry: :sorry: Unfortunately my bddy couldn't find the FCR from his 450 so I'm still rocking the BST but it's not bad

Anywho, I need opinions. I thought about selling the stock parts but am thinking about keeping some around such as the wheels and go back and forth. 70-80% tard for commuting and having fun in the canyons and then 20-30% ADV for hitting the fire roads every couple weekends. That is the plan at least. What do you guys think? Will I realistically be interested in switching back and forth?

Before anyone brings up the front brake, the dirt trim wheels will also have a 320mm rotor so that there is no fiddling with the speed sensor and caliper relocation bracket. Also, I can have the front wheel off/on no sweat, I don't understand what the big gripe is, unbolt the caliper, drop the pads out, take the empty caliper off the rotor, remove wheel, reverse order. I have to take the brake apart anyway because I feel you can change pads on the rotor but shouldn't use the same pads with a different rotor but that's me, not to mention that there is no way in H**L I'm running my grabby sport brakes that I run as a supermoto in the loose dirt. Down the line if I really get into ADV riding then the switch will be a little more demanding when having to swap out luggage.

Here are a couple pics
Before:

And after:

List of mods includes:
Warp 9 Motard Kit- Moto-X-Industries
Trail Tech Vapor- With motard kit
Shorty Kickstand- ProCycle
Axle sliders- Home depot + Skateboard Shop
Acerbis Hand Guards- Donated from friend
LED Turn Signals- ProCycle
Taillight and Plate Bracket- Old DR
DG Exhaust- Old DR
Case Saver- Old DR
Sprocket Quick Change Clip- Old DR
SS Brake Lines- Old DR
Clutch Safety Delete
Kickstand Safety Delete
Shorai Battery- Old DR
Warp 9 Lower Chain Guide- Old DR
Chain/Sprocket Guard- ProCycle
Upper Chain Roller Delete
ProCycle Jet Kit- Pulled out of the BST that came off the old DR when I installed the FCR
Warp 9 Levers- ProCycle
Tool Tube- Old DR
I think that's it, suspension upgrades coming when the money does lol, going Cogent DDCs up front and Cogent guts out back

Don't lose any sleep over it. It's a DR, a two wheeled farm tractor. Not a space shuttle.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:34 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Hell yea!

Wheels are my next big purchase. Looks good, makes me jealous. :blush: