www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:19 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:09 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Ok fellow supermoto ladies & gents, bust-out the bags of popcorn :lurk: … I'ma goin' BLACK !
….. join me for a journey to the dark side !

I got too many white vehicles – no complaints, but I originally wanted to pick-up a black DR when the white deal landed in my lap. So I made do with it and it looks good. I still like this scheme, so I'm not willing to let all that effort go in vain – least not yet. I'd like to take it all off and set it on a shelf. So keeping the orange and just swapping out all the white bits to black is the plan ahead. I'll preference DIY fabrication over re-buying plastics where I can in order to to keep this color switch at a minimum $$.

So how much work am I looking at :

Black side covers – clone/fab, Carbon Fiber & resin. I still have one side cover mud-mold, but I'll need to make/cast the other. Laying these up in CF because CF accents just add to the cool factor.

Black rear fender – clone/fab, glass & resin. I've got the DSA Concepts rear kit, and rather than shell-out another 160+, I just need to clone the top fender side of that kit. Should be simple, and no CF accents on the rear means straight-up fiberglass layup and paint black.

Black tank – buy. Either used, or a new plastic - kinda like the idea of lighter tank more fuel.

Black front fender – clone or buy. Undecided. I might clone the low fender or switch to the the classic supermoto high fender for this look.

Black headlight cowl – clone/fab. It's a small piece, so hopefully a simple fiberglass layup & paint.

So what is the vision ahead ??
The first order of business is to mock-up a picture using some graphics software. Here's where I want to go :

Sorry for the crap garage background.
The notable changes in this drawing are :

Everything white has gone black - duh.

Tank : Three thigh "pads" integrated into the tank's side profiles. I want an aggressive stance to this theme and I thought this design concept would look trick. These aren't just painted designs - they will be actual raised areas of the tank's profile. Raised? Here's how : If I go with the plastic off-road tank, these are darn near un-paintable. So for that reason, I thought of adding something I could paint on ... aka tank-panels ! . My plan is to create a new part - fabricate right & left "tank covers" made of CF and double-side 3M tape them to the tank. I'd paint and leave some naked CF exposed for effect. Before casting the tank's profile in plaster, the raised pads would be added to the plastic tank's surface. That way, when I layup CF, the contours will be replicated.
The forward-facing surfaces of the tank shaded in orange. Larger "S" Suzuki logo in CF fill.

Side panels : like in the current design, I like the exposed CF portions, so this is largely a carry-over design. However, enlarging the two-tone paint stripe, adding a dark-gray which will tie-into the rear fender as a gray border pin-stripe. Also, adding a larger dark-gray "SM" (aka SuperMoto branding) initials.

Grab rails : dark-gray

Oil crash guard : dark-gray

Engine : upper fins blacked-out with black stove paint.

Front fender : may switch this up for the traditional sumo high fender (not depicted above) in black.

Well, that's the plan so far.

================

Edit: Revised mock-photo - 4/7/2016

Last edited by TimeBandit on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:49 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Good fun!
Change is often good.
Your proposed paint scheme will be excellent!

I like black bikes but I realized that it was time for a change for me too.

My DR street tracker has been black for 3 years and is now getting a face change to yellow.
(I had planned on Corvette yellow but switched to Ferrari yellow because it is Italian and faster) :s_biggrin

One thing I learned when I made a fiberglass shell for my other DR, with an IMS tank so that I could paint it:
I should have filled the tank with water to expand it to the full shape. :blush: :old:

The shell is only 2 layers of 6 oz cloth with System 3 epoxy and it cracked where I wrapped it around the bottom of the tank when I filled the tank with gas.
Oops, I didn't realize how much it would grow when filled. :bang:

The small cracks don't bother me so I'm not going to redo it anytime soon.
When I decide ti change the color on it I will repair the cracks.
The paint and stickers have not been affected by the fuel at all.

Ordeal and Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:53 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Thanks for that post - I hadn't considered tank flex be that much. It would only make sense to cast the tank's profile while filled then. Perhaps water. It's a little heavier.
Appreciate the insight :drinks:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:46 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Come on TimeBandit.. you just want someone to ask you "what model KTM is that?" :lol: But seriously... I like the way your machine looks now.... and the proposed scheme is better yet. :2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:31 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

mxrob - you're on to me ! Stealth 'KDM' (cough cough) I mean poor-man's KTM.
The way I see it, KTM doesn't own rights on orange/black, and time us DR guys show them how its really done
:Roost:

Small updates to the progress:

~ I have lay'ed-up the left side-cover in epoxy/CF - just waiting for it to cure enough to de-mold.
~ Lay'up and de-molded the rear fender. Polyester/glass is very quick. Unfortunately the plaster mold didn't survive. Oh-well, this replica looks good, and this is a one-off project. Will need to go through the primer, sand, primer, sand, etc... to get it ready for paint.
~ Ordered and received a black Clarke tank from Procycle. Their processing and shipping of my order across-country was fast ... Great Job guys!

In regards to casting tank side panels - I'm still trying to noodle-out how to do this. My problem is, in addition to filling tank with water, I need to add about 1/8" to forward-most tank surfaces (this is the orange shaded areas in that mock-up photo above. The reason in that in casting the tank side into a plaster mold, THEN casting a part out of that, I'm looking at a net-reduction - aka might be too small to fit over the original tank. So adding to the existing tank's profile prior to mold casting is likely a must. Just don't know yet how to temporarily added profile to this plastic tank.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:20 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

TimeBandit wrote:
Just don't know yet how to temporarily added profile to this plastic tank.

Clay shaped and taped?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:49 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I've been working on getting the side-covers fabricated in carbon fiber epoxy resin.

Here's the right panel still in the plaster mold (left-mold above in pic awaiting lay-up) :

I didn't use vacuum bag this time. Instead, after putting the fiber cloth in the mold & wetting it out with resin, I covered with a plastic sheet (that epoxy won't adhere too) and weighted it down with lead-shot (aka 20lbs of buck-shot). This pic was taken after one day and the buck-shot removed. You can see that the shot helped press the cloth & resin to conform the mold.
For those wondering ... I used only one layer of 12K twill CF and one layer of glass weave.

Ok, so here's the side panel popped-out of the mold about a week later. I must have not used enough wax (mold release) as I had to destroy the plaster mold to get this out :(
As you can see, there will be plenty of clean-up on this part.

Next, (above) is an update on the rear fender. I laid-up standard glass/polyester (fiberglass) here. This is a test-fit on the DR. So far so good. This fender will go straight black.

Tank Covers:

No real update here. I'm still trying to math it all out in my head. I like the clay suggestion. I think I'll attempt drywall compound in a thicker clay-like consistency. My aim is to only add profile to the tank's forward lower surface.

Stay-tuned …

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:45 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

:lurk:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:14 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Yum :lurk:

Dropped an order for the xxx DSA Concepts xxx (correction:Acerbis) Sumo front fender on Procycle.us :
After long thought, I think I will go for the high fender - aka authentic sumo-look for this aggressive black theme. I'm super-excited. I think this fender will be a great addition.
Once again Procycle is on their game and has my part shipped the same day it was ordered. Thanks Guys !

I like the way this fender looks. It has many angles and lines. When it arrives, and after a quick test-fit, I think I'll paint some of these contours orange and leave the majority of the fender black.

CORRECTION : fender type

Last edited by TimeBandit on Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:28 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I think that's the Acerbis front fender, not DSA concepts. Cool nonetheless. I like the high fender better.