www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:22 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:05 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

TimeBandit wrote:
Above as it lays next to the Acerbis sumo fender. NOTE: the side cover has yet to receive a clear-coat, so it should "pop" once it does. Until then, I just wet it down with water for the pic.

Great job, although I kinda like the satin finish on the side cover.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:12 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Well, I mounted the Acerbis sumo fender, to which I had stop ... pause … marvel ... and take this pic (below) :

Note how the "V" notch in the fender complements the "V" shape of the headlight bottom !
Here we have two completely unrelated manufactures :
the Yamaha MT03 – (aka LSL "Urban" headlight), and the Acerbis sumo fender.
Yet somehow these two companies must have got together in a secret meeting in the wee dark hours in the morning when we all were asleep, and they cooked-up this perfect fitment !!
:good:

However, I did have to fab a "spacer" to lower the fender about 1/2". This was due to my headlight sitting low based on my custom side brackets - but who can complain. This looks really sharp !

UPDATE:

All that's left are the custom "Tank-skinz", which are still being fabricated ATM. I have both casting molds completed and the left side is currently laid-up and curing as I type.
Until then here's another teaser-pic (excuse the "tank" nudity) : :OMG:

TBC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:59 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Lookin' GOOD! :diablo:

Ordeal and Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:25 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Awesome! :clapping:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:53 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

TimeBandit wrote:
This looks really sharp !

Yes Sir, sure does :2_thumbsup: :clapping:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:43 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Thanks for following this thread !! :drinks:

Update this week is the Tank-Skinz !
I got the left side panel released out the mold and a pic taken right after a trim & quick wet-sand :

After more finishing, wet sanding etc.... I think I'll need to figure-out the best strategy to attached these to the tank. I'm worried 3M double-side tape alone might not be enough. So I might try to test-fit the panels to the tank and link the panels where the seat conceals, by adding more fiber/resin to form a strap. Last thing I want is to lose these panels while on the road.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:42 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

:lurk:

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:18 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Nsw
cool...bike reminds me of a yellow jacket hornet

Last edited by spot on Sat May 14, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:44 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

:lurk:

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:14 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Tank-skinz Update :

I was able “add” two cross-braces that joins the two tank-skinz halves toward the rear. The seat will conceal these braces. The purpose is to maintain a tight-fit once applied to the tank as I'm worried if just double-sided tape alone will be enough. The way I made these braces was to literally tape both skinz to the tank nice and tight, then lay-up epoxy resin and glass fiber (right on the tank itself) connecting the two sides. The tank area was treated with mold-release agent prior. Once cured, I removed the skinz and trimmed the new braces with a rotary tool. The pic below is what I ended up with (wet with water) :

Let me also mention (prior to removing the skinz in the above step) I also thickened-up some left-over resin into a putty using fumed-silica ash (standard practice in fiberglass work). I used this putty to apply “tabs” to the forward edges of the skinz. My goal is that these tabs will “hook” the tank's edges and once again provide me added insurance that the skinz will hold securely once finally mounted. The pic below points-out these tabs.

Time to paint !

This took a long time to paint, or should I say prep. It was all the maticulus tape templates I had to create. I basically use a vector graphics software to create the shapes, curves, that Suzuki “S” logo, etc.... I print these drafts out on regular laser printer. I use these as templates to cut masking tape laid-out on wax paper mostly with a razor-blade.

Painting went in stages(colors): first was to tape-out the "thigh-pad" feature as I wanted this to remain naked carbon fiber. Then I shot the whole thing in primer grey. Next I taped-out an added edge to the thigh-pad aread (to become the grey outline), and I added a Suzuki "S" tape-out for the logo -- yes I decided to go ahead and badge the bike so I can hopefully avoid the proverbial
" Is that a KTM " :s_dunno
question that I already know is coming.
Next, I shot the whole thing in flat-black. Next, I add yet more tape to protect the black so I could add the orange areas. It's like a layered-cake. At this point I was able to remove all bits of tape to reveal the color scheme at hand. At this point a light wet sanding of 1000-grit to clean any tape residue and to feather paint-edges created by the taping. I should emphasize that all that paint color is just rattle-can paint from the hardware store! Specifically, it's the Painter's Touch line of Rust-Oleum products, so-called design for plastics with x2 coverage. Ok, it works well and does have really good adhesion. That said, it's likely not going to hold-up against the elements on it's own, but that's where the clear-coat comes in. Here's where I turn to the good sh_t(stuff) professional-grade ... I use automotive-grade clear, which uses a catalyst hardener, and MOST important includes UV protection.

So, finally I could hit it with clear-coat ! Once again, I mixed my gloss and flat products together in an attempt to cut the gloss down to a semi-gloss. I want a “plastic-gloss” if that makes any sense. I know some of you liked the satin (me too), but finishes towards the flats start to alter color intensity, so I chose not too in order to keep that orange I picked more vibrant. Below is a pic of my painting efforts :

Note : it looks way more glossy at the time of the pic above due to being photoed right after painting. As it cures the sheen starts to tone-down a little.

Update – tank skinz mounted to bike !

Ok, Final (working) update here. I'm pretty happy with this project. As you can see below, I have the new tank-skinz on the Clarke tank mounted !!! I decided to forgo double-tape and used Goop along the bottom edges only. The rear braces and the forward tabs are working great ! The skinz basically fit on like a hat, so gravity kinda hold them in-place already. Here's the pic :

Thanks for following/reading this thread. I likely skimmed over details, so please feel free to post-up if you want to know more and any specifics. Thanks !

TB

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next