www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 12:56 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:44 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Ok.ive noticed that even when the bike is warm ,just off idle it has what I would call a stumble or flat spot..

The bike is a 2015 with only 200kl on it..so it's far from broken in and it's first oil change..

Dealer told me to raise the idle speed.. It's still there?

Is this normal as its my first DR so I have no point of reference..

Any help would be great appreciated ... Really love the bike!

So much so my Harley is for sale..!

Cheers

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:46 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

They all do this...Slightly rev it a couple times before you take off and the stumble is gone... Some buy the Mikuni TM40 pumper carb as this alleviates the off idle stumble..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:52 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Serious? 200km on a 2005 bike? dang! barnfind alert! :BevButt:

anyway, I am assuming the bike (carburation) is totally stock.

You could start by:

pull the snorkel
shim the needle 0.030" (or 0,8mm for that matter)
readjust the pilot screw (which depending on your wherabouts could be hidden behind a bronze cap on you carburetor

Mine did exactly the same when I got it, together with a "half throttle surge". Very annoying. I did as described above and my bike turned into a completely different bike. No stumble off idle, not even on a luke warm engine. A little surging on a luke warm engine, and totally gone when the engine is warm. Throttle response changed from "behh" to buttery smooth and very direct.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:58 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Yup, they do that. My 2014 was the same. You don't need to buy a TM40 pumper ....
Easy fix and multiple threads to guide you. Lots to read and many options if you want. topic13712.html topic5201.html topic13546.html
Derek of Motolab also has good comments on ADV rider http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/d ... 86/page-14

Basically it is too lean - you need to adjust the idle fuel screw and lift the needle a bit, or replace the needle for one with multiple grooves. JD (James Dean not DynoJet) makes a kit Auscanvet likes, and ProCycle has plenty of options. Or buy the Suzuki (6F19-3) 13383-32E00 needle at your dealer and raise it a clip position.

First - Remove the brass cover from the Idle Fuel screw (drill small hole through thin brass, screw in sheet metal screw and pull - don't let the drill bit go in more than 3/16 inch). Read about the simple method on this forum to rotate the carb in place. Either buy an extended fuel screw or put a flat bit in a ¼" socket and MARK THE SOCKET. Screw the fuel screw in COUNT THE TURNS until it bottoms out. Don't force it hard in. Reset it to 1 ½ turns out as a good starting point.

Ride the bike. Get it good and warm-hot. A ride around the block isn't good enough. Set the idle to 1500rpm. Screw the fuel screw in until the idle speed drops. Back it out JUST until strong idle, then out ⅛ turn more. reset idle to 1500. This is how Motolab advises to adjust. Procycle likes to start at 2 ½ turns out with a lower idle and screw in until idle JUST starts to drop and leave it there - readjust idle to 1500.

Second - Pull the top off the carb and either shim up the stock single groove 6F23 needle with 0.030 spacer (between circlip and white washer) or replace with the Suzuki 6F19 multi-groove needle. Then you can pull the snorkel if you want as the stock needle jet is large enough to handle this more open air flow.

I'd try the above before buying a jet kit - I did and I'm happy. Yes, you can get more out of the bike with more mods.
For a full perspective check out Doctorgrey's bush pig videos topic16518.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:58 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Thanks for all the help!

Ride safe

Cheers

Gobear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:47 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Ok..

First thanks for the comments...

I modified the carb today I like to do things in stages so all I did was drill out the mixture screw and adjust it.. Holly sh*t..it's like driving a different bike, no more off idle stumble,throttle response very much improved.

Cheers

Gary