www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:26 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:45 am 

How's everybody doing? I'm new here on the forum, and I'm new to the motorcycle world, but I grew up riding old three wheelers which were always a blast. They teach you respect for the machine. Anyways, I picked up my first DR in December and while I'm away at college, I'm looking to start ordering parts so when I go home for a few weeks in the summer I can piece everything together and have myself a supermoto!

My bike is an 07 DR650 but the previous owner put some money into it to try and get it to hang with his friends KTM 690 offroad. He eventually realize that was out of the question, and I was able to pick up the bike for a killer deal. Moreover, its got ~7,000 miles on it but he had it professionally bored out so its a DR790 now with about 800 miles on the upgrade. Its got a TM40 pumper carb, two brothers exhaust, a new clutch, a new cam, and a 520 chain conversion amongst other things. The guy was a HUGE fan of procycle.

Anyways, my plan is to convert the bike to a full supermoto DR and I'd like suggestions. I'm thinking of getting custom warp9 rims, but I'm not sure about the tires yet. I'm thinking about upgrading the front brake too while I'm at it for the added safety. Any advisement? The gearing is currently a 14 tooth upfront and stock in the back. I think I may switch to a 15 or 16 tooth, I'm not sure which or if I should also change the rear. What are your thoughts? I want to do this bike right!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:58 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Sounds like you bought a super sweet bike! I ride mostly onroad but its nice to hit dirt every now and then even if just around the yard :). sometimes while riding I'll take a gravel road or cut around an empty field for the hell of it, sure makes riding a whole new fun experience. I ended up with a 19/17 combo on Shinko 705 and love it, I'm still playing with the gearing but -1front +2 rear is working good at least in my head lol. Below is a link of my bike during the first few mods. I had the oem hubs relaced on 19x2.5 front and 17x4.25 rear

topic12646.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:22 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

You might want to check out this f/s add posted a few days ago and see if you can strike a deal.

topic17091.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:00 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Another possibility is Honkey Cat on this site and advriders with the same name. I bought his 07 DR this past month and he has a set of tard wheels that are for sale. I don't know a price, but I do know that Jeff is very upstanding in his dealings. Worth looking him up.

Found the posting on advrider http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/1 ... t-28745896

I don't think you could put together a set for this amount.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:01 pm 

Other than wheels, what do you folks suggest anything else? I think I'm going to buy a new set of rims with tires just because I'd like the warranty from the supplier and I'd like to customize them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:01 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Suspension. You definately want to upgrade the suspension if you plan on doing any spirited cornering.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:31 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

You never go full motard...

sorry couldn't help myself.

Get a digital speedo, stock cable speedo is off by a good 10 mph (at least in my case it was). Also 15/42 stock gearing is quite good for just about everything, with that engine you have definitely consider going taller not shorter if you feel the need to change things. 16/42 with the shorter sumo wheels should be a good start, changing the rear sprocket can be an issue if you are using the original chain length.