www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 6:47 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:55 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Hi,

There's a lot of different safety gear I see such as neck braces, chest protectors, kidney belts, even the inflatable air bag vests. In looking at my gear and with getting into dual sport riding I see that a problem is that something that is okay on the dirt might not hold on up on the street, and something good for the street might be way too hot or have other problems once you hit dirt.

Anyway, I was going over ideas for this spring and I think I'm going to get a neck brace and some kind of chest protector to go with it. I plan on using the neck brace on or off-road. I don't care if I look dorky. Being on a ventilator might look dorkier.

If I can swing it, I would also like to get a dedicated dirt helmet. I found my ADV helmet was not so great in terms of ventilation. Seems heat versus protection in the height of summer will be a major issue, at least for me, so switching to a dirt helmet with goggles might work better. I hope.

So questions for discussion:

1. Do you run certain gear only on the road or off-road?

2. Planning on upgrading any protective gear this year?

3. What are your favorite picks for dual sport gear?

4. If you unfortunately had it happen, what "crash tested" gear do you recommend or think is a must have?

Thanks,

Steve

DR650
DRZ400
2 Sons, 1 Labrador, 1 Cat

Scoreboard:

Concussions: 1
Broken Bones: 5
Plates: 1
Screws: 8

Giggles a plenty...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:32 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I always wear a cross helmet and goggles, simply because I have no other, and because I like it. More fresh air around my face.
I wear MX style low boots on the street, but leave my Tech 4 boots at home. I like the added protection with these half height boots over regular motorcycle boots on the street, and I don't have to re-adjust back and forth for shifting (shifting with MX boots is different).
On the road I wear a jacket with padding and back protector instead of the body armor jacket and MX shirt or loose jacket. That's just ease of use.
Gloves are BMW rally gloves (which are actually pretty good!), or regular MX gloves. I like the BMW ones better for their knuckle and palm protection. One of the few really good BMW products imho, and worth their money.
I have a simple neck brace, which I only wear on days when I plan to kill myself (which I got to admit, was a while ago): roadbook rally riding and stuff. I would wear this on the LAB2V ride for instance.

2. Planning on upgrading any protective gear this year? Nope

3. What are your favorite picks for dual sport gear? Definitely my Hein Gericke Tuareg rally jacket. It came with a waterproof liner which always kept me dry, but what I like most about it, is the versatility. I mostly wear it without the liner, without padding, over a body protector. It vents a bit, had vents in the arms and back which you can open and close. You can remove the arms if needed, it comes with a lot of pockets (you can stow the arms in the rear pocket for instance). Good stuff.

4. If you unfortunately had it happen, what "crash tested" gear do you recommend or think is a must have? Uhhh, a helmet?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:11 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I have all sorts a gear for all sorts of riding on the DR during all kinds of seasons or weather.

I have a full MX gear set up including boots, elbow pads pants, jersey chest protector, kidney belt, helmet and goggles including clear safety glasses because I find more times than most my goggles end up fogging up.
I also have a couple different sizes of backpack/ hydration packs when offroading.
For the street I have a couple of different jackets with full foam armor, one lighter for warm weather and another heavier one that also has a liner for colder rides. I also have a couple of dualsport helmets with face shields. Then I also have a pair of road pants with hip and knee padding and a liner as well and 3/4 height MX boots that fit under my pants.
On top of this I also have numerous pairs of gloves ranging from thin MX style to leather road and then insulated and then of coarse a frog tog rain suit.
None of the gear above is leather except for some gloves.
Like most here I am sure that you will find that a variety of gear is needed for a variety of riding to make it more pleasurable anyways.
:drinks:
Rod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:44 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Short Road Trips (including my 20mile round trip commute) - Armored jacket, jeans or carhartt logger pants (double front), Gaerne balance oiled boots, gloves
Long Road Trips - Armored jacket, Klim pants, knee pads, Gaerne balance oiled boots, gloves, camelbak
Off-Road and Dual Sport Rides - Rock Jacket, elbow pads, klim pants, knee pads, padded undershorts, Gaerne SG10 MX boots, gloves, camelbak

Helmets are a function of weather and ride type, but I have a Bell MX-9 Adventure, Fox V1 MX Helmet, Shoei Multitec. Also, I realize that jeans and even the logger pants do not offer the same level of protection as an armored riding pant, but it is a choice I have made peace with. For the record, the carhartt logger pants are seriously tough and I don't think they will rip at the first contact with asphalt like jeans typically do.

Probably upgrade the cheap back protector in my jacket and/or buy a strap on back protector to wear under my jacket. If anyone has any recommendations, post them up.

I used to be a Klim hater until I finally bought some Klim Mojave pants...they feel great and have plenty of room for my knee pads underneath. I'm a believer now and will probably buy some of their colder weather pants.

Gaerne boots...you can walk in them right out of the box (the SG10s take a ride or two to get truly comfortable) and they have protected my feet in numerous impacts with stumps off-road.

4. If you unfortunately had it happen, what "crash tested" gear do you recommend or think is a must have?
So far I have only crashed off-road and all of the gear previously mentioned has done a great job and making sure I only come home with bruises (if that).

'65 Honda CB160
'06 Honda CRF50F

Last edited by RamMan4x4 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:06 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

LostInPA wrote:
Anyway, I was going over ideas for this spring and I think I'm going to get a neck brace and some kind of chest protector to go with it. I plan on using the neck brace on or off-road. I don't care if I look dorky. Being on a ventilator might look dorkier.

Lots of things could put you on a ventilator ... no guarantee that a neck brace will help you. Look at the numbers. How many accidents result in a broken neck or paralysis? Answer, very few. Head injuries are more common and are mostly in states where helmets are not required. Because a few 7 year olds riding on Super Cross tracks broke their necks ... the Leatt company have mined out a rich vein based mostly on FEAR.

Sure, put brace on your 7 year if it makes you feel better, but he can get hurt a 100 other ways.

Most common serious injury to riders? Do you know? Broken Tib/Fib. And that's why I wear dirt bike style strap on knee guards both ON and OFF road. If you actually USE your Leatt , then all good. But many buy it ... and end up rarely using it. I've crashed DOZENS (hundreds?) of time off road ... never came close to a neck injury. This includes full endo's off cliffs, head on collisions, Tree and Manzanita encounters and falling hard on roads or volcanic lava beds (sharp like razors)

A decent helmet, back protector, elbow, knee and hip guards a good idea. If you ride VERY fast and aggressive at expert level, then perhaps full blown MX boots are right for you. But otherwise, a compromise boot could work too. (does for me on the DR)

LostInPA wrote:
If I can swing it, I would also like to get a dedicated dirt helmet. I found my ADV helmet was not so great in terms of ventilation. Seems heat versus protection in the height of summer will be a major issue, at least for me, so switching to a dirt helmet with goggles might work better. I hope.

Multiple helmets are good. Pick best one for the job. For me I mostly use my Shoei Multi-tec Flip up. When really HOT off road, I slow down and flip it up for more air (... and less protection of course!) But a helmet for every trip is fine too!

Yes, gear changes to suit the ride, except on long trips ... compromises!

New knee pads
Too much to list all. I've used dozens of different brands over the years.
As listed above: back protector, knee, hip, elbow protection, gloves important. Most of all ... learn how NOT to crash!
I've been saved several times when landing on my back by my Camel Back ... when at least half full it provides a nice cushion when you land on it. :2_thumbsup:

[/quote]

Last edited by DR Grifter on Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:10 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Worthy of a sticky IMO! Good questions/post Steve! Great format and answers from our seasoned riders.... keep em coming! :clapping:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:34 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

LostInPA wrote:

I always wear an "armored" jacket. Often I wear armored pants. If I'm off road, or riding a longer distance on road, I put the armored pants on. I wear light gloves.

LostInPA wrote:

I'm considering a neck brace. I had a pretty good jolt to the face of my helmet that hurt my neck (just soft tissue). I think the neck brace is probably overkill, but thought that about a chest protector too until I crashed hard off road.

LostInPA wrote:

I like my AFX DS-39 helmet.

LostInPA wrote:

I have an Alpinestars Bionic Pro Jacket (I think that's the model), mesh "suit" of sorts. It includes chest, back, shoulder, elbow protection. I was not wearing it while riding somewhat aggressively off road when I crashed. My front end washed out in a rut and I went down fast and hard. I broke my collarbone and rib(s) and at the time was held for observation for a possible collapsing lung or possible internal injury. I was wearing an armored jacket, the same one I wear all the time (soft shoulders, back and elbow pads).

I had a crazy looking bruise across my chest after the accident (starting showing up a few days later). It looked like a seat belt bruise, all the way across my chest, probably from slamming the mirror, bars or impacting the lip of the rut. I think the hard chest protector would have minimized the injury across my chest and maybe the broken rib(s). It wouldn't have prevented the broken clavicle since that was more due to compaction. I never wear that Alpinestars gear, for no real reason except I thought it was overkill with the jacket, and it's kind of tight. I've been working out and losing weight. I will make a point of using it on almost all rides now because I believe a chest/rib injury is pretty common.

LostInPA wrote:
Thanks,

Steve

2011 DR650, Fly Aero tapered bars, RT front springs/emulators, RT rear spring/shock shaft assy, BarkBusters, MT21s, 14/43T, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:37 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

DR Grifter wrote:
I've been saved several times when landing on my back by my Camel Back ... when at least half full it provides a nice cushion when you land on it. :2_thumbsup:

+1...a half full or more camelbak makes a great cushion for your fall. It's also a requirement for any off-road ride or long duration road ride. I don't think new riders realize just how dehydrated and tired they get while riding off-road until they are too far from any drinkable water. Hydration counts as protection too right?

'65 Honda CB160
'06 Honda CRF50F