www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:35 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:26 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

WoodRat wrote:
:good: ... with the basic revamp of the suspension done I'm looking forward to seeing how your choices to refine the new bike progress. I think it makes a lot of sense to do improvements gradually with enough riding at each step to discern how effective the changes are, because the feedback will either confirm your choices or lead to better solutions.

I am always puzzled by those who dump a pile of money into a bike changing everything at once without taking the time to evaluate the result each step of the way. I concede there are some expert riders who simply know from experience what change is needed to obtain a desired characteristic, but my impression is there are plenty in the latter camp who don't know as much.

I agree with your supposition about just dumping money into upgrades.
From my competition background all development should be measurable so as to evaluate the benefits.
The big hassle was getting track time to test each development upgrade individually.
Some development changes are a real PITA to make trackside.
It's the same with the DR dirt sled.
First a suitable bit of dirt needs to be found nearby and then enough time to get the test rider rider into the right riding style to reasonably evaluate the changes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:04 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Good day Dr Grey.

Interesting watching your video and trying to guess if I've ridden those tracks.

While your at the DR development, any low engineered upgrade suggestions for the rear brake would be welcomed.
With my MX & dirt track background I'm rather fond of backing a bike into corners.
I've tried braided brake lines for no measurable rear improvement found and several pad compounds have proved as only marginal gains.
My next thought was an after market disc that might be softer than the OEM and allow an aggressive friction compound to bite in better.

Back in the early 80s I dabbled in a bit of club trials ridding till some suburban scum stole my restored early 70s Montesa Cota.
I fondly remember we once organized a social trials ride day for our club, where we all road our MXers to give everyone a chance to participate in the fun.
There was a few dented MXers and a lot more respect was then given to the trials riders who had punted their MXers around with ease.