www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:20 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:18 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Todd157k wrote:
Hmmm... interesting. Can these be swapped in if you already have the emulators? is it THAT much better that it's worth it?

i expect it might be too much hassle todd... you would have drilled out the holes to make the emulators work and then put in 15w fork oil. emulators don't have any rebound damping and that's why you need to change the oil. i suspect it be too difficult to tune the PLEX valves as they are already designed to have cartridge-style action on both rebound and compression damping with the stock fork oil.

my last DR had emulators and while it took a lot of work to get right they did a pretty good job and i was happy with them. the main advantage of FFRC's valve is it's still very plush but can take big hits too.... like any good cartridge fork.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:13 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

doctorgrey wrote:
it's taken months but FFRC have done the final suspension upgrade on the DR650 and the big bushpig has been transformed! their suspension guru has designed PLEX valves which continue the good work started by emulators and intiminators to try and fix those terrible rod forks.

the rear shock was already great after the customized valving but now they've fitted a custom piston as well to allow a a broader range from small choppy bumps to soaking up those big hits at the rear.

a DR650 clearing a 50 foot table top jump... who would have thunk it? :bumps:

Hmm.
You have my attention.

I was just planning to swap the whole front end over, but this has me interested.
(And my mate is being slow at tracking me down a donor front end..)
You mention James at FFRC, is he the contact to ask for, about more info and $$$'s ??

As a Brisbane local they're just up the road and I'm curious about running these in the factory lowered position, as i have the double of a crap rider and short legs..!!
But i'm about 85 kg with a 20l acerbis, so this could be a good budget easy option, especially if i dont need to change springs.

Any further info would be good, as there doesn't seem much on their website about production availability, or i can just give em a call i guess, but dont want to swamp the poor guy if its still too early in the development stage, and fine tuning is still going on.

My suspension is fully stock, but lowered and about 30'000 km old now so I'm following this with ears wide open.. front and rear suspension is on my list as the next to do..
That vid has impressed me no end..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:40 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Nogoodnamesleft wrote:

I was just planning to swap the whole front end over, but this has me interested.
You mention James at FFRC, is he the contact to ask for, about more info and $$$'s ??

they have a pile of info here on the website: https://goo.gl/ftLRHC

it's definitely fun messing around with donor forks if you like to tinker, i've had fun with RM250 forks in the past. but the PLEX valves are just mean to be a plug n play option that should be indistinguishable from a quality set of cartridge forks.

i'm 93kg and found the stock springs were fine, so i'm sure you'd be okay there as long as they haven't sacked out... one guy said his 2002 DR650 had four inches of static sag and nothing is going to work with worn out springs like that lol.

everyone at FFRC (and a pile of other riders) was involved in the testing and development so if you rang any of the guys would be able to help.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:06 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

doctorgrey wrote:
Nogoodnamesleft wrote:

they have a pile of info here on the website: https://goo.gl/ftLRHC

it's definitely fun messing around with donor forks if you like to tinker, i've had fun with RM250 forks in the past. but the PLEX valves are just mean to be a plug n play option that should be indistinguishable from a quality set of cartridge forks.

i'm 93kg and found the stock springs were fine, so i'm sure you'd be okay there as long as they haven't sacked out... one guy said his 2002 DR650 had four inches of static sag and nothing is going to work with worn out springs like that lol.

everyone at FFRC (and a pile of other riders) was involved in the testing and development so if you rang any of the guys would be able to help.

was good to meet you and have a chat.

got my bike back home from FFRC and did a road test this arv.
rough roads, roundabouts, speed bumps etc.
sadly dirt will have to wait till next week.
but on the black top, One Happy Chappy

i rambled on a bit on the big advrider DR thread trying to explain it,
when all I really needed to say was
the bike now goes where i want it to go, not where the road surface wants to take me.

those guys at FFRC are awesome.
i'd thought the days of a shop where guys just like to talk about bikes had long gone.

It's such a refreshing change from pressing buy it now.
To actually have some one say, no you don't need that..
It's strange to be talked out of spending more money

thanks again for sharing all things DR you do.
I'll report back after it hits the dirt
hopefully I don't hit the dirt..
but after my initial impressions of their work,
i have that horrible feeling i can no longer say
i ride slow because i have stock suspension.

i might now have to start telling the truth and say,
i ride slow because I'm a sh*t rider..!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:17 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Nogoodnamesleft wrote:
.... those guys at FFRC are awesome. i'd thought the days of a shop where guys just like to talk about bikes had long gone.

It's such a refreshing change from pressing buy it now. To actually have some one say, no you don't need that... It's strange to be talked out of spending more money

they have a very strange business model in that respect. there are quite a few stories out there about guys being talked into the most expensive options when they simply don't need it. and i really respect the FFRC mob for frequently talking guys out of the most expensive options. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:46 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Bumping this old thread. Anyone got their hands on the FFRC plex valves yet? Very interested.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:13 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

like to stand on the pegs? these your boots and take all the pressure off your hands, arms and upper body especially when you accelerate.

these ARE expensive for what they are. unfortunately the guy still makes these one by one instead of getting them batch produced in china but if you like to stand a lot on the pegs these are well worth it. then if you are on old fella and have any arthritis, tendonitis or other upper body issues they are worth their weight in gold....

a few notes. these will still work if you drop your pegs down. but if you drop them down and back you can't quite move the rubber pucks back far enough - hopefully the guys will do a version soon to take care of this.

these are designed to work with a proper set of dirt riding boots. if you ride with short boots or shoes then the pucks will just press into your leg and not be much use.

and finally you may want more than one rubber puck on each side. they are designed to work when you grip the bike with your legs but letting your legs slide past otherwise - ideal for dirt riding. but we adventure riders tend to be a lazy bunch and not into steep descents, so i suggest going to a hardware store and getting some big rubber doorstops to experiment with, and if you like the wider setup then get yourself some extra pucks or simply space them out somehow.

if you are a tight arse who likes the do-it-yourself approach you can see my original homemade version in this DR650 ergonomics vid: https://youtu.be/geLR5u8sMhI?t=417

Last edited by doctorgrey on Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:16 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

doctorgrey wrote:
a mate of mine is chasing a set, he said they are getting their first batch ready within the next week apparently.

Ah yes, the website says "in stock".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:47 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Levinz11 wrote:
Bumping this old thread. Anyone got their hands on the FFRC plex valves yet? Very interested.

Sorry,
My bad.
Said i would report back, i thought i did here, as well as advrider.
So here's a quick cut and paste from there..
And some. Its a long post..
I know what it's like when your searching for info on a new product - hope this helps.

Paste from advrider...

I said I'd report back with how the front and rear suspension FFRC did after a decent ride.
told them i wanted a jack of all trades if possible, and when i carry a load, i carry a BIG load.
i'd done 30,000 on all stock.

headed out today.
sat phone, plb, first aid, plenty of water, tools and tubes etc.
all the good stuff for a solo ride.
but didn't get as far as I wanted,
I'll get to that..

this is a longish report, but a few were interested, so...
i'm hopeless at describing suspension, so I'll describe what I felt,
smarter folk will know what it means and if it's good or bad.

on the black top and a spirited twisty ride to the dirt :
closest way to describe small bumps now is a quicker / firmer feeling, that i used to waffle over before.
it used to be a spongey, soft, floaty feeling, now it's a slightly firmer b'dump - done.
it seems dealt with instantly, not a slow bouncy float.
bigger bumps or pot holes are way smoother,
it doesn't seem to track to road conditions, repairs, road patches, holes etc like previously.
it just seems to deal with stuff quicker if that makes sense.

i did hit a random, large speed bump at a fair speed, when I wasn't paying attention.
(one of those lonely single speed bumps, at the start of a national park before the dirt begins)
saw it at the last moment, forced my eyes wide open, gave it the gas and hoped for the best.
with my previous stock suspension, it could have ended badly with a head shake sending me anywhere.
it just felt like i hit a little bump and it tracked straight. that was a "oh - wow" moment

in the dirt.
i went looking for rough, bumpy, rutted, loose, jagged etc, most conditions except sand or mud.
things just seem to be dealt with quicker, but felt softer.??
little bumps i did not notice at all.
bigger bumps, holes, loose rocks or ruts etc just seemed smaller than the impact i was used to.
it didn't seem to get wobbly or out of shape any where near as much as the stock set up.
if it was a road bike i'd say it felt like a steering dampener had been thrown on.
the bike seems lighter if that makes sense, but i still felt it's weight momentum.

odd thing was i seemed to sit more than i used to.??
(was a familiar ride, so that surprised me)
i also seem to have less wheel spin over ruff, bumpy stuff, especially when gassing it.
the front seems slower to react to head shakes from rough conditions.

the rear brake seems to work a little better as well.??
Seemed to use it a touch more today, but i still find it a bit like a switch.
Much prefer the feel of the front brake.
perhaps i was carrying more speed than i realised, for a lot of the ride.
i'm hoping the 320 front disc on its way, will add more brakes to the front,
and perhaps a 606 rear will help pull me up better than the e07 i have atm.

like i said i got no idea what is an indication of whats good or bad,
just described what i found.

short story - i like it way more than stock.
time will tell.
i did realise the thing i need most now is good rider training.
(should have done this way before any DR mods)
the suspension fix still didn't cure my fear of downhill, sharp off camber turns, on thick soft slippery dirt and gravel.
lots to learn.

and why did the ride get cut short and no pics..??
pulled over for a drink after lunch and noticed my front spare inflated in my box.
bugger, it had rubbed a hole in the fold against the inside of the box.
it was a pretty bumpy ride though, lesson learned - look after tubes better in rough conditions.
i took it as a sign to head home. A front flat would have ruined the day.

Cut and paste done.
Here's more observations since then.

I've done a fair bit more riding since then with it and all good.
I have since added a 320 front.
That combined with a better set up front end, has settled the bike way more under braking.
I feel more confident travelling at higher speeds and coming into corners hot.
I know this will bite me in the ass big time in the dirt sooner or later though if i'm not careful.
It can be ridden so much quicker in the ruff stuff now, but my skill set is still the same...

I also tried it since with my big safari tank, the above was with the acerbis, and all good.

I'm still crap at descibing suspension.
Offroad its great. Set up feels to me like it is spot on.
Last off road ride i asked myself what would i want it to do better.
Nothing, i need better skills and a full knobby rear to judge any further.
Generally i like to fiddle and tweak everything until its what i like, or as close as i can get.
But now i just enjoy the ride.

On the black top, as i tried to describe above, i can just feel the tiny stuff on the surface like minute undulations and things i literally cant see at all, on stuff that looks like a smooth surface.
Its hard to describe, it's like the invisible stuff is not big enough to get the suspension to start to compress, I'm feeling stuff i really can't see at speed.
It's not harsh by any means, exact road condition feedback is a good way to desribe it.
The stock suspension used to give no feedback at all in these conditions - was more wobble, blubber, sponge, float..

But as soon as something is big enough that i can actually see it, like a join in the tar surface, or a small bump, crease or pothole, it does its job and its nice and smooth, even in the corners.
And any big potholes, road repairs etc it just handles it and moves on.
I can move this thing a lot quicker on the twisty black top now.
Where i could used to feel the front start to slide, it doesn't happen now.
I can ride to the speed i like, not the what the old suspension liked.

When they asked all the questions setting it up for me, ( riding conditions, style, my skill level, what i wanted it to do ) i said if your unsure of what i mean, just err on the side of stiffer.
On a road bike, i know i like a set up on the stiff side, on a dirt bike if i'm honest i'm not 100% sure how to desribe what i like.
When i push hard, it's hard to tell if it's me or the bike at fault - probably me.
And i like to have a go at anything except soft sand.
At the moment my DR seems to be saying "c'mon, lift your game..!!"

All i know is whatever i have now, i like and hopefully as i improve, i wont be thrown around as much as i used to, especially with a camping load,
And i will be able to travel quicker if i want to and get less tired.

Thus ends the longest post in drriders history.
But if i haven't covered something just ask..
It's been hot today, i've had a few..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:05 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

^^Right On^^ Thanks for the feedback. So, literally you just popped off the caps, pulled springs and dropped these suckers in? Original oil was used?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next