www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:44 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:48 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Good article here on JIS.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... rs-review/

JagLite wrote:
As a public service notice to go along with your excellent DR mod videos I would like to suggest these tools... :old:

This is one of my favorite shop tools and I recommend it to everyone: :2_thumbsup:

Often sold as a set with a drill/driver, batteries, and a charger:

An 18V Impact driver. It is amazing how fast you can strip a bike down... without stripping the screw heads!
With socket adapters, sockets, and a set of screw tips you are ready for action.

It will loosen most bolts 14 mm and smaller, I use a ratchet to break larger ones loose before zipping it off with the driver. :good:

For reassembly I start the bolts, nuts, and screws by hand and then run them in snug with the driver (it is variable speed so it is easy to do without over tightening them) and finally torque by hand.
Using a torque wrench when required.

I think most of us have learned to use JIS drivers on our bikes and NOT Phillips screwdrivers. :whistling:

If you don't have a set of JIS screwdrivers and/or replaceable tips. Buy them.

Finally, similar to using JIS drivers on metric screws, it is essential that you use metric wrenches.

:dunno:

Yes, there is a difference!

Here is proof.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled DR modification instruction videos. :s_cool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:40 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

finally another episode. i've been a bit distracted on the other youtube channel with the enduro and cross training vids.

this is just looking at a pile of stuff we ordered through procycle and their new australian distributor, adventure bike australia. those of us down under are especially happy to see an aussie distributor as we always had to order a lot of stuff in the past to counter the shipping costs.

procycle http://www.procycle.us/
adventure bike australia http://adventurebikeaustralia.com.au/

this episode looks at:
procycle's seat cover and foam kit
adventure touring windscreen
procycle's complete footpeg replacment kit
the breathe easy kit... procycle's jetting kit, carb screw and external fuel/air mixture screw
A breather filter to replace the inadequate stock one for the carb
A Raptor fuel tap to replace the stock one that relies on a vacuum to work
A much better fuel filter than the stock one
Magnetic engine oil drain bolt
An old style choke knob to replace the dodgy stock version.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:51 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Really loving this series Doctorgrey, also been following your cross training vids for a while. Very informative while being entertaining at the same time :s_rofl

Definitely been great having ABA open up recently, made a big order through them after having the DR for a couple of months. Were great to deal with and that $10 flat rate on postage anywhere in Aus is great! Dont forget Vince Strang Motorcycles though for another down under option, they also have a pretty good range of DR parts and accessories for the same or similar competitive prices - http://www.vincestrangmotorcycles.com.au

Regarding the counter shaft seal retainer, Ill be pulling my front sprocket of soon to check whether one is there or not. I bought a retainer going of the info under "Your first DR650" and then found out afterwards that they are included from 2013 onwards (mines a late 2015) but it still seems up in the air whether this is truly confirmed, so Ill let you know either way.

- Craig

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:41 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

DR Craig wrote:
....Definitely been great having ABA open up recently, made a big order through them after having the DR for a couple of months. Were great to deal with and that $10 flat rate on postage anywhere in Aus is great! Dont forget Vince Strang Motorcycles though for another down under option, they also have a pretty good range of DR parts and accessories for the same or similar competitive prices - http://www.vincestrangmotorcycles.com.au

Regarding the counter shaft seal retainer, Ill be pulling my front sprocket of soon to check whether one is there or not. I bought a retainer going of the info under "Your first DR650" and then found out afterwards that they are included from 2013 onwards (mines a late 2015) but it still seems up in the air whether this is truly confirmed, so Ill let you know either way.

thanks craig, glad you like the vids... certainly have a ball putting them together. i rang and spoke to mal at adventure bike australia just to confirm his details for the vid, the guy is madly passionate about the sport which is always a good sign.

i reckon vince strang is too, and i got some protective gear for the DR through them so things are looking up for aussie DR650 riders. :biggrin: http://www.vincestrangmotorcycles.com.au

unless there was a mistake at the factory you will definitely have a countershaft seal retainer now. there must have been enough warranty claims to push suzuki into this incredibly radical action. pity they can't get off their arses to do other very cheap fixes. it's a great bike but if they were happy to make the bike $50 more expensive for a few basic bits they would wipe out at least half of the known issues!

:Horse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:20 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Good stuff as always!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:19 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

another instalment of the project DR650 series. i've mainly sourced protective gear from australian businesses for this given the cost of overseas postage from the US, but it's interesting to note that a lot of guys stateside do buy aussie gear when the dollar is low and they are getting a few items which brings the postage costs down.

Force Accessories: https://forceaccessories.com.au/
B&B Offroad Engineering: https://bboffroad.com.au/
Vince Strang Motorcycles: http://www.vincestrangmotorcycles.com.au/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:25 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

the ergonomics of the DR650 tend to suck regardless of your height. shorter riders may not find the stock setup isn't too bad once they lower the bike and/or put a decent seat on. but as you get taller the DR650 becomes incredibly cramped and the footpegs and handlebars are very badly positioned.

this episode of the FFRC DR650 series looks at lowering the DR650, footpeg mounts, risers, handlebars, seats, windscreens... if you stand on the footpegs a lot then i've also rigged up some homemade steg pegz which are great for taking all the strain off the arms and hands. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:24 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Another great update!

For true shorties (like 5 ft. tall women), lowering links are available from several sources in the $30 to $50 USD range. Easy to mount up and easily lower the bike a further 2 inches. But of course, as you say, really limits ground clearance and suspension travel. But for novice riders, may be "the way".

Sorry, don't have links handy to link suppliers, but there are a few out there for the DR650.

:drinks:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:49 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

it's taken months but FFRC have done the final suspension upgrade on the DR650 and the big bushpig has been transformed! their suspension guru has designed PLEX valves which continue the good work started by emulators and intiminators to try and fix those terrible rod forks.

the rear shock was already great after the customized valving but now they've fitted a custom piston as well to allow a a broader range from small choppy bumps to soaking up those big hits at the rear.

a DR650 clearing a 50 foot table top jump... who would have thunk it? :bumps:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:23 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Hmmm... interesting. Can these be swapped in if you already have the emulators? is it THAT much better that it's worth it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next