www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:23 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:49 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Tombo I had the same experience on my Bike. In fact I put e3 plugs in all my engines. The seat of the pants test never lies :s_biggrin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:31 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Ya I always notice better performance when I installed a clean air filter. :s_dunno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:12 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Tombo wrote:
Purchased in April 2014, I've just now gotten to about 7500 miles (73XX, actually) - and since I have a longish trip this weekend, I wanted to get to these maintenance tasks before I put on the miles.

Then I pulled the other plug and inspected: outer plug looked brown paper bag and measured JUST within spec (worn). Inner plug looked a bit whiter but not lean. Also measured JUST within spec, maybe a hair tighter.

A couple months back I noticed that Procycle was offering a new spark plug option - the E3 spark plug.
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#spark-plugs-dr650
From the website:
Quote:
The E3 plugs have an almost circular electrode supported on three sides that creates a flame more toward the piston and the bulk of the air/fuel mixture giving it faster flame growth and a larger flame kernel providing better throttle response. The multiple sharp edges to the circular sharp edge of the center electrode prevent the 'arc welding' type of material depletion of other electrode plugs giving this plug an extremely long life. See image of E3 electrode below.

Popped in the new plugs, re-installed refreshed air filter, and buttoned the 'ol girl up.
Now to go heat up the oil, I took a ~100 mile road ride.
:Roost:
Warning! call bullshit all you want, but these plugs really made a huge difference. What follows is as far as I can summize, the truth, and NOT some type of placebo effect from new kit. I wouldn't believe it if i read it either, but they truly made a difference.
Immediately upon starting the bike, I noticed something was different - Usually the bike takes ~5 minutes to get warm enough to take off choke - but after running for 30 seconds the revs were already increasing, so I DUMPED the choke lever. I didn't massage the throttle to keep her running, i just closed the choke plunger. And what do you know, with 30 seconds of warm up time, the bike was already idling responsibly like I had been riding her all afternoon.

On the road, I noticed decel popping seemed reduced (no big loud ones with big throttle chops). I also noticed the bike seems more lively or eager - like the revs pick up quicker. It felt stronger.

When I got home from my ride, I thought I'd better check the mixture since some of these changes (quieter decel popping) can sometimes be affected with a richer mixture. I stopped the motor and dialed the mixture screw in to count the turns. Then I put it back to that setting and started her up, then went through the standard adjustment. I dialed the screw inwards and within a ~1/4 turn the bike was running lean. I dialed it out until I got rich, then back in to lean, doing it all by feel. Once lean, I back it out until the idle just smoothed out. Now I killed the bike to count the turns in.... I got the same mixture I started with! Checked the RPM - still hanging out at roughly 1500 rpm, as it had been set months ago.

I racked my brain trying to think of what else it could be. The air filter wasn't really that dirty (I clean after dirt rides), the exhaust valves were tighter, but within spec so shouldn't make a difference that I loosened them a touch. No other changes were made to intake or exhaust tracks. The plug boots got a wipe down, but, again, weren't that dirty to begin with. So as far as I can tell, this is all in the plug.

The bike just runs better. I would recommend these plugs to anyone on their next 7500k interval tune (or sooner if you want to just treat yourself), as I do believe they have made a difference. :good:

New plugs always will have your bike running better. By 7500 miles your stock plugs would have been worn, so any new plug will "feel" better. I had similar "improvements" when I first installed Iridium plugs back in 2006.
Better starting, smoother idle, slightly better fuel economy. The Iridium plugs can go over 10K miles. In Autos (now very common) they last 60K miles.

Do some research on Iridium and I think you'll find some interesting things. Iridium burn very clean and hot. A good thing.
I've never used the E3 plugs ... but if they work good, aren't too expensive ... and if they out last stock plugs ... then it's all good.
On my stock plugs I saw very noticeable wear at around 6K miles. That is when I switched to the Denso Iridium plugs. Expensive but good for years. Good, consistent performance. :drinks:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:55 pm 
DR650 Limits Tester

you know after reading this thread i just realized my bike has the original plugs....1o years and 34k mi.......id say they are due. may give these E3's a try

thanks

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:31 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

you know after reading this thread i just realized my bike has the original plugs....1o years and 34k mi.......id say they are due. may give these E3's a try

Crash!That is a long time on plugs you got your moneys worth out of them :clapping:

Its gonna be like a whole new bike :Roost:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:41 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Question.. so I bought a pair of E3.38 off Amazon but the end where the cap/lines goes on seem a lot fatter that it doesn't fit the cap anymore, are the Procycle ones different? Here's the link:

E3 Spark Plug E3.38 Powersports Spark Plug, Pack of 1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KO4XXE/re ... 9ybZJ2XDHT

2014 DR650: Cogent DDCs & springs (.47), Cogent Mojave shocks (7.6), Seat Concept low seat, TM40, Acerbis 5.3 tank, Procycle full rack system with quick release, Pro Taper Contour Handlebars: Woods High Bend, Moose Racing Skid Plate, Mini 12V turn signals, Doubletake Mirrors, Chromoly Wide Footpegs, 3800 Lumen LED headlights, Shinko 804/805.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:14 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The nipple at the top of the plug should unscrew and come off.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:36 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Thanks! That's what I thought, but i couldn't unscrew it by hand, so I took a small vice grip to it and ended up breaking it by pulling out the entire "stem".. Maybe that was just a sour one but it felt loctited on or something. I'll try it with the other tonight, thanks!

2014 DR650: Cogent DDCs & springs (.47), Cogent Mojave shocks (7.6), Seat Concept low seat, TM40, Acerbis 5.3 tank, Procycle full rack system with quick release, Pro Taper Contour Handlebars: Woods High Bend, Moose Racing Skid Plate, Mini 12V turn signals, Doubletake Mirrors, Chromoly Wide Footpegs, 3800 Lumen LED headlights, Shinko 804/805.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:42 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

It shouldn't be that hard. It won't come off by hand but it should only take a small effort with pliers.

Those spark plug tips come in two types. Some will not unscrew. Those that will you can see the threaded hole in the end of the tip. If your plugs do not have a threaded hole in the tip they are the wrong plugs for the DR650.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:22 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Mine did have the threaded holes, that's why I tried to unscrew it. I think I know what happened, the vice grips prob grabbed on the that little black ring at the end which is not part of the cap. :fool:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next