www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:43 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:07 pm 
Offline
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:01 pm
Posts: 2306
Location: Apex, NC
You're both right...section 5-25 of the manual says to torque the steering stem nut to 45Nm, turn the steering stem back and forth five or six times, back of the nut 1/4-1/2 turn. This is the nut beneath the upper triple tree. I suspect this process is just to make sure the bearings are seated, but not overly tight.

The steering stem head nut is then tightened to 90Nm. This is the nut above the upper triple tree.

_________________
'08 Suzuki DR 650SE
'99 Suzuki DR 350SE
'07 Buell Ulysses XB12X
'65 Honda CB160
'06 Honda CRF50F


Last edited by RamMan4x4 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:56 pm 
Offline
Map & Manual Master Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:18 am
Posts: 2423
Location: SW Oregon
Thank you RamMan :2_thumbsup:

_________________
DR650 manuals in PDF format available, please inquire by PM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:43 pm 
Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:26 pm
Posts: 1187
Location: Snowy Mts Oz
Having pulled a few engines in and out now, perhaps note on page 3-5 to remove the rear part of the engine first so that the counter balancer shaft housing comes out of the front of the frame will assist some.

Similarly, and especially, the front of the engine needs to go in first upon installation or it won't happen; the following page, 3-6.

_________________
My DR650 ............ and the ................. Wife's
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646076 .............. http://drriders.com/topic17901.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:49 pm 
Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:26 pm
Posts: 1187
Location: Snowy Mts Oz
Page 3-56. I've discovered that before fitting the cylinder head cover, aka rocker cover, you need to check that the 2 bolts with sealing washers that also locate the rocker shafts go all the way through the cover. The rocker shafts may move, blocking the bolts. Do this prior to applying sealant.

Alternatively, the cover could be torqued down without that bolt(s) and then the end caps removed to access and reposition the shaft(s).

_________________
My DR650 ............ and the ................. Wife's
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646076 .............. http://drriders.com/topic17901.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:07 pm 
Offline
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:00 am
Posts: 607
Location: here
A member just removed his rear brake disc and destroyed the bolts as there was no mention of the thread locker (needs to be heated to soften it), but it does mention applying thread locker on reassembly.

_________________
Real knowledge - to know enough to know not enough is known
Some days you're the dog, other days the tree


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:34 pm 
Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:26 pm
Posts: 1187
Location: Snowy Mts Oz
Front too, same deal.

_________________
My DR650 ............ and the ................. Wife's
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646076 .............. http://drriders.com/topic17901.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:57 am 
Offline
Member Servant
Member Servant
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 9558
Location: Mackinaw City, MI, USA
Good info! Thanks for posting it. I will get to the update of the manual as soon as I can. Trying a new .PDF editor..... May end up reworking the past edits when I have time. :good:

_________________
- mxrob -


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:19 pm 
Offline
Member Servant
Member Servant
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 9558
Location: Mackinaw City, MI, USA
BergDonk wrote:
Having pulled a few engines in and out now, perhaps note on page 3-5 to remove the rear part of the engine first so that the counter balancer shaft housing comes out of the front of the frame will assist some.

Similarly, and especially, the front of the engine needs to go in first upon installation or it won't happen; the following page, 3-6.


Both of those notes were put in on on section 3-5 in V1.1 of the manual. (Both in one box) In the new version (1.2) I will add the note for starting with the front of the engine on section 3-6 as well. :good:

Done!

_________________
- mxrob -


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:53 pm 
Offline
Member Servant
Member Servant
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 9558
Location: Mackinaw City, MI, USA
BergDonk wrote:
Page 3-56. I've discovered that before fitting the cylinder head cover, aka rocker cover, you need to check that the 2 bolts with sealing washers that also locate the rocker shafts go all the way through the cover. The rocker shafts may move, blocking the bolts. Do this prior to applying sealant.

Alternatively, the cover could be torqued down without that bolt(s) and then the end caps removed to access and reposition the shaft(s).


Noted making sure to check alignment of the rocker arm shaft cutouts before applying sealant to the rocker cover in section 3-56. :good:

Done!

_________________
- mxrob -


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:17 pm 
Offline
Member Servant
Member Servant
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 9558
Location: Mackinaw City, MI, USA
enim57 wrote:
A member just removed his rear brake disc and destroyed the bolts as there was no mention of the thread locker (needs to be heated to soften it), but it does mention applying thread locker on reassembly.


Noted in section 5-28. :good:

Done!

_________________
- mxrob -


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



Forum hosting by ProphpBB | Software by phpBB | Report Abuse | Privacy