www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:43 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:07 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

You're both right...section 5-25 of the manual says to torque the steering stem nut to 45Nm, turn the steering stem back and forth five or six times, back of the nut 1/4-1/2 turn. This is the nut beneath the upper triple tree. I suspect this process is just to make sure the bearings are seated, but not overly tight.

The steering stem head nut is then tightened to 90Nm. This is the nut above the upper triple tree.

'65 Honda CB160
'06 Honda CRF50F

Last edited by RamMan4x4 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:56 pm 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

Thank you RamMan :2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:43 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Having pulled a few engines in and out now, perhaps note on page 3-5 to remove the rear part of the engine first so that the counter balancer shaft housing comes out of the front of the frame will assist some.

Similarly, and especially, the front of the engine needs to go in first upon installation or it won't happen; the following page, 3-6.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:49 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Page 3-56. I've discovered that before fitting the cylinder head cover, aka rocker cover, you need to check that the 2 bolts with sealing washers that also locate the rocker shafts go all the way through the cover. The rocker shafts may move, blocking the bolts. Do this prior to applying sealant.

Alternatively, the cover could be torqued down without that bolt(s) and then the end caps removed to access and reposition the shaft(s).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:07 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

A member just removed his rear brake disc and destroyed the bolts as there was no mention of the thread locker (needs to be heated to soften it), but it does mention applying thread locker on reassembly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:34 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Front too, same deal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:57 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Good info! Thanks for posting it. I will get to the update of the manual as soon as I can. Trying a new .PDF editor..... May end up reworking the past edits when I have time. :good:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:19 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

BergDonk wrote:
Having pulled a few engines in and out now, perhaps note on page 3-5 to remove the rear part of the engine first so that the counter balancer shaft housing comes out of the front of the frame will assist some.

Similarly, and especially, the front of the engine needs to go in first upon installation or it won't happen; the following page, 3-6.

Both of those notes were put in on on section 3-5 in V1.1 of the manual. (Both in one box) In the new version (1.2) I will add the note for starting with the front of the engine on section 3-6 as well. :good:

Done!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:53 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

BergDonk wrote:
Page 3-56. I've discovered that before fitting the cylinder head cover, aka rocker cover, you need to check that the 2 bolts with sealing washers that also locate the rocker shafts go all the way through the cover. The rocker shafts may move, blocking the bolts. Do this prior to applying sealant.

Alternatively, the cover could be torqued down without that bolt(s) and then the end caps removed to access and reposition the shaft(s).

Noted making sure to check alignment of the rocker arm shaft cutouts before applying sealant to the rocker cover in section 3-56. :good:

Done!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:17 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

enim57 wrote:
A member just removed his rear brake disc and destroyed the bolts as there was no mention of the thread locker (needs to be heated to soften it), but it does mention applying thread locker on reassembly.

Noted in section 5-28. :good:

Done!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next