www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:29 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:51 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

for a dummy like me that uses the manual a lot.
best thread ever.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:46 am 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

Nogoodnamesleft wrote:
best thread ever.
Using the manual a lot is a symptom of the disorder where the afflicted are obsessed with trying to get things right. This is a serious condition, but not so bad as the illness of having an aversion to the manual, where every other remedy is sought out before it is even considered.
:sarcastic:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:44 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

WoodRat wrote:
Nogoodnamesleft wrote:
best thread ever.
Using the manual a lot is a symptom of the disorder where the afflicted are obsessed with trying to get things right. This is a serious condition, but not so bad as the illness of having an aversion to the manual, where every other remedy is sought out before it is even considered.

Yep.
Sounds like me.
I've got hard copy manuals for bikes i don't even own anymore.!!

I gotta get and learn a pdf editor or some such thing.
When i was at work, i just used to get one of the young smart kids to do the real techy stuff.

I see so many good pics, posts and how to's here,
I figure there must be a way I can add hot links in to a pdf, in the relevant spots of the manual.
Then i could click on the link for extra / better pics or vids of whatever i was doing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:14 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Nogoodnamesleft wrote:
WoodRat wrote:
Nogoodnamesleft wrote:
best thread ever.

Yep.
Sounds like me.
I've got hard copy manuals for bikes i don't even own anymore.!!

I gotta get and learn a pdf editor or some such thing.
When i was at work, i just used to get one of the young smart kids to do the real techy stuff.

I see so many good pics, posts and how to's here,
I figure there must be a way I can add hot links in to a pdf, in the relevant spots of the manual.
Then i could click on the link for extra / better pics or vids of whatever i was doing.

Any good PDF editor will allow you to add hot links. We could do that with our manual but the issue is broken links. Like externally hosted pictures the owner drops the account or removes/alters the links and your linked info is gone. :s_mad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:28 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

yep.
i had a nice little stash of bookmarks, pics and screen shots that all disappeared when when i did a "back up" on my iPad.
some of em I haven't found been able to re find.
got to start again, gonna screenshot everything as well as bookmark this time and figure out how to change the pics in the pdf too.

some people here write instructions really well, that i understand better which helps me greatly - gonna try and steal and put that in as well..
i hate manuals that presume i already have a good understanding of things :bang:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:36 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Nogoodnamesleft wrote:
yep.
i had a nice little stash of bookmarks, pics and screen shots that all disappeared when when i did a "back up" on my iPad.
got to start again, gonna screenshot everything as well as bookmark this time and figure out how to change the pics in the pdf too.

some people here write instructions really well, that i understand better which helps me greatly - gonna try and steal and put that in as well..
i hate manuals that presume i already have a good understanding of things :bang:

But even at the loss of links you have a great idea there... might be something I could look into when I have a minute... :spiteful:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:08 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

mxrob wrote:
Nogoodnamesleft wrote:
yep.

But even at the loss of links you have a great idea there... might be something I could look into when I have a minute... :spiteful:

i know i can't provide you with any knowledge..
but i got no problem sending you some beer to help you enjoy that minute and stretch it out..!! :s_biggrin

if you ever need advice on a what not to do section,
I'm your man, i got plenty of stuff to contribute in case you ever start the "user manual errors" v1.2 :lol:

feel free to delete my waffle to keep this thread tidy. just know all you smart blokes are appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:48 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Nogoodnamesleft wrote:
mxrob wrote:
Nogoodnamesleft wrote:
yep.

i know i can't provide you with any knowledge..
but i got no problem sending you some beer to help you enjoy that minute and stretch it out..!! :s_biggrin

if you ever need advice on a what not to do section,
I'm your man, i got plenty of stuff to contribute in case you ever start the "user manual errors" v1.2 :lol:

feel free to delete my waffle to keep this thread tidy. just know all you smart blokes are appreciated.

Actually the current version is v1.2....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:14 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

mxrob wrote:
Any good PDF editor will allow you to add hot links. We could do that with our manual but the issue is broken links. Like externally hosted pictures the owner drops the account or removes/alters the links and your linked info is gone. :s_mad

This is why I run my own infrastructure. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:13 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Alrighty then. This idea of Nogoodnamesleft for hot links in the manual :notworthy: has intrigued me to the point I've started working on updating our edited manual. I talked it over with WoodRat and decided to just go it alone on the first rendition. I'm putting all of the captain obvious links pertaining to DR650 servicing in the manual for v1.3.

The thought being collecting user input after you've seen the first rendition. This will reduce the amount of repetitive suggestion posts that I have to weed through.

Some thoughts: This is a "service manual" so I want to keep the links on that level. No accessories will be listed except those that pertain to servicing or are directly related to the reliability of the machine. Case in point I've added a link to Procycle's magnet ring for the oil filter in the oil change section and links to PC's excellent selection of valve adjustment tools.... I've also added a link to Motolab's complete BST rebuild kit in the carb repair section as examples. I have no issue with using links from any other DR650 source. We want the best info we can link to.... not just stuff on DRRiders.

So... How to's, videos, detailed pictures, detailed posts on the subject, etc. The issue is going to be broken links. I've downloaded quite a few .pdf files to host on my website so they don't get lost. Unfortunately some of the html stuff is what it is. If it disappears it disappears. The issue with using items from Joe Blow's personal pictures on X-hosting service.com will always be broken links. Avoiding that as much as possible will be the best to keep informational links working. I'm willing to host pictures and other items like pdf's to keep things together.

I'm open to any suggestions or links to better information than what I've already linked to. Again we want the best info and info that won't be gone next week.

So... I will be getting v1.3 to WoodRat shortly. :good:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next