www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:26 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:19 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Thanks for reading, and I hope this ends up helping someone out someway. Lots of good mechanics on this forum, and it seems that many DR owners seem to have a pretty solid mechanical aptitude - so for most of you, this is probably more than you would ever need - but for those who are having issues with the petcock and don't know where to begin, I figured it'd be worth doing a post about it.

What you'll need
1) Petcock Rebuild kit http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#petcockkit
2) JIS screwdriver set (philips will work, but will mar screw heads)
3) Mechanic's pick (tweezers could work too)
4) Degreaser & Nylon brushes (I used Simple Green)
5) Carb Cleaner (Good to have on hand incase internals are coated in varnish)
6) Silicone Grease (a dab'l do yah)
7) Blue loctite (the fasteners use VERY low torque, so this will make sure you don't lose any screws)

Depending how dirty the petcock is, and how detailed you wanna get, I see this job taking between 20 minutes and an hour. This petcock was not too dirty, and no signs of varnish, so it took me about a half hour.

Remove your Petcock from the tank.

Remove vacuum diaphragm cover
These screws were just barely past finger tight when I got to them. If they give you any kind of grief, soak them in penetrating oil before proceeding.

Remove vacuum diaphragm
The rubber diaphragm is two pieces of rubber with a piece of plastic between them. The rubber tends to stick to all mating surfaces. Be gentle in removing this part. If you can remove it and keep it intact, it is a nice spare to keep around. The older the diaphragm, the less likely it is salvageable.

Remove diaphragm from plastic frame
There is really only one way to do this. One side of the diaphragm (cover side) has a large metal disc that can't be pulled through the plastic. The other side has a metal tip that has an o-ring on it. Fold the rubber diaphragm around the o-ring side so it cab be pulled through the plastic frame

Remove toggle lever, and dissassemble.
I didn't take pictures of this part, but it is simple, and there are photos of reassembly if you need them. Two screws remove the lever face plate, then the lever lifts off with the faceplate. Between the faceplate and the lever is a wavey washer. Inside the petcock you will likely find the lever's o-ring has stayed inside the petcock body along with the "screaming man" rubber bit inside the petcock.

Clean, clean clean!
1) If varnish is present, then get out your carb cleaner, an air compressor and some wire guage cleaners. Make sure all internal orifices are free of varnish and crud.
2) All rubber bits will be replaced, so either toss out or save as spares
3) Clean all other parts with degreaser and a nylon brush. Rinse with water, and let dry.

Layed all out on the table with new rubber parts:

Reassembly

Start with the vacuum diaphragm.
Touch your finger to silicone grease, and lightly coat the mating surface of the plastic frame and the diaphragm. Thread the diaphragm through the plastic frame in reverse of your previous disassembly. Smear a bit of silicone grease onto the o-ring of the vacuum diaphragm assembly, then lay it onto the petcock body. **MAKE CERTAIN that the rubber is laying flat with no folds or creases between the petcock body and the plastic frame! Place the spring onto the metal disc of the vacuum diaphragm. Smear a bit of silicone grease onto the mating surface of the vacuum diaphragm cover, then locate spring and carefully lower the cover onto the vacuum assembly. Firmly hold cover in place as you replace the 5 screws. I used a tiny bit of blue loctite on these fasteners.

Now the toggle lever
1) Start with the "screaming man" rubber bit. Give it a generous smear of silicone grease, and then place in petcock body. How to put it in is self evident.
2) Now smear the lever's o ring in silicone grease, and attach it to the lever itself.

3) Place wavy washer onto the outside of the toggle lever

4) Place the toggle faceplate on top of the wavy washer.
5) Insert the toggle lever into the petcock body, put a small dab onto the screws, then torque them lightly.

Finishing touch:
There is an o-ring/gasket between tank and petcock - coat this rubber bit in silicone grease, lightly seat it onto petcock, now re-attach to your tank!

AND THAT'S IT!

Thanks for reading. :howdy:

Last edited by Tombo on Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:03 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

OK Buddy... quit with the teasing already... fix the pics! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:23 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

OK.... I THINK I fixed the pics. Please let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:54 pm 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

The pix are fixed. Good job. When I had mine apart I didn't completely dissassemble it, which I really should do to get the lube in all the right places.
:good:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:01 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

mxrob wrote:
OK Buddy... quit with the teasing already... fix the pics! :wink:

:good: :friends:

WoodRat wrote:
The pix are fixed. Good job. When I had mine apart I didn't completely dissassemble it, which I really should do to get the lube in all the right places.
:good:

The only place where I've seen wear before is on the toggle's O ring and the one I'm calling the "screaming man" - and they wear really slowly and predictably, so it's really nothing to worry about. You'll notice your petcock getting dingy before it has a pronounced leak, and months or even years could go by before that becomes an issue - so unless you are planning to replace the rubber there, no real reason to pull the petcock apart just to lube up those rings as a maintenance item.

The vacuum diaphragm doesn't really need lube, though the grease may slow the aging process - but I just put some on the plastic frame to reduce the tendency for these items to stick together. Again, not worth taking the thing apart as a maintenance item.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:02 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Awesome! :clapping: Moved to the "How To" section..... :good:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:19 am 

Thanks for the guide!