www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:31 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:07 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

It would be cool if we could list our DR(s) mods in our profiles under Interests and Occupation instead of our signatures.

The search function would return fewer results that are not helpful, making it easier for those of us who use it. :pardon:

Bonus points for a button next to the Profile one that takes us directly there. :good:

2013 DR650 34,651------->DR790 1,000 miles and counting

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:33 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

nicholi1222 wrote:
It would be cool if we could list our DR(s) mods in our profiles under Interests and Occupation instead of our signatures.

The search function would return fewer results that are not helpful, making it easier for those of us who use it. :pardon:

Bonus points for a button next to the Profile one that takes us directly there. :good:

Clarify for me.... the signature line is not specific to any particular data. Are you asking to have all 6,000 + members remove any data from their signature line so it is not seen in a search? We could certainly add another custom profile field to the user profile but it would take going to a particular member's profile to see the contents. It may be possible to add it to our "Author" box next to each post but that would lengthen each post (short posts). We'd need a consensus from members (and some cooperation) to get something like that done. I can't add any buttons to the BB GUI. :pardon:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:09 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

mxrob wrote:
Clarify for me.... the signature line is not specific to any particular data. Are you asking to have all 6,000 + members remove any data from their signature line so it is not seen in a search?

Thinking it through, I would suggest relocating just the common mods that we all share for the most part.
The BST mods, pumper carbs, air filters, exhausts, skid plates, top racks, hand guards, anything commercially available to just about anyone.
Those are also the most searched ones, so when folks search for relevant info, it can get lost in all of our unrelated banter.
I used to list a lot of mine in my signature awhile back, but I kept picking up my own posts that had nothing to do with the search.

All of the personal data is fine. Especially if you are a vendor or just want to share what wondrous mods you have designed yourself. I never want to stop information from being shared. In fact, I want to make easier.

I would never directly criticize anyone who choses to not make the change. Everyone is entitled to make their own choice and I bear no ill will toward them for it.

mxrob wrote:
We could certainly add another custom profile field to the user profile but it would take going to a particular member's profile to see the contents.

Yup, and at first I thought I could never sell that kind of idea here. Any other forum, and I'd be right.
I think that we all come here because we want to be apart of this pool of knowledge and freely share it as a community.
I think most of us genuinely care about our fellow DR Riders. This place wouldn't be what it is if it wasn't for every single one of us.

The point is that, new members often come here for help with their new DR or trying to sort out what a PO may or may not have done.
I want to help them help themselves when they're out on the road at night trying to trouble shoot a gremlin and we are all asleep.

Also, it's quiet here and not too much drama.

mxrob wrote:
It may be possible to add it to our "Author" box next to each post but that would lengthen each post (short posts).

I'll be the first one to vote no for this. I worry it will affect how the page would be viewed on smaller devices.

mxrob wrote:
We'd need a consensus from members (and some cooperation) to get something like that done.

I was hoping I could get a moderator to put up a poll...... :blush: That might garner a little more credibility than me alone.

If the consensus is no, then so be it. At least the question was asked and the people answered and that's what counts.

In all honesty, we should have done this a while ago, when there were fewer of us. Hindsight is a b*tch of a charlie horse, or something like that.......

mxrob wrote:
I can't add any buttons to the BB GUI. :pardon:

No harm in asking. :good:

Speaking of signatures, have you all seen fatback's new one? :rofl:

2013 DR650 34,651------->DR790 1,000 miles and counting