www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:12 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DR Riders Location File
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:51 pm 

Came up in a recent post by ohfive790 about his trip back home to MN, fatback said, "Oh man! I live west of Meridian about 25 miles. Could have set you up for the night or met up. Damn it!" I have seen several posts like that and riders don't usually see them until they are home or long gone by a possible meet.

Another thing is it would be great to know where another DR guy might be if you have trouble on the road. Somewhere you could fix something that requires a bit more than changing a spark plug.

Is this something anybody else would be interested in? You would only post if you wanted to, not everybody has to. Just a thought. Like to hear some feedback from the group.

So everybody knows, this is Drum at ProCycle. Haven't participated in the forum a bunch but watch it a good amount. Thanks! Have a great Holiday weekend! :Roost:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:46 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I think it is a great idea. I have met some really great people through this forum, I'm sure there are more to come. The funny part is the closest guy I ride with (Soarmking, and recently Cragantler) live over 200 miles away! Maybe we could have a state/regional directory or a way to search members by location through the search function. :drinks:

2011 DR650, ProTaper Henry/Reed, Bark Busters, 12v outlet, Cogent adjustable preload caps, .525's w/ DDC's, Acerbis sumo fender, Acerbis 5.3, Ricochet skidplate, Procycle case armor, Open top airbox, Twin Air filter, Jetted Bst, x40F0x, FMF arrestor, Cogent rear shock, PVC tool tube, 250 taillight, D606's............Sometimes has a BBQ rack.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:28 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

So the logical answer here would be to create a sub forum under "Adventure Addicts" then individuals that are willing to meet-up/help would post a subject title with a general location so someone could find it easily. Well kind of easily.... the forums all are date based in their hierarchy.. but you can use our internal forum filter at the bottom of the forum. Click on the "Sort by" drop down and select "Subject". Obviously we'd need to follow a std pattern for adding subject lines so this Boolean Search can get the results you want.

Since we are a "global" forum it would seem logical to go with a country, state/province, city format. So all "USA, Oregon, Springfield" subject lines would be grouped together. In fact we could use the Google Custom Search as well.... just type in "Adventure Addicts, Oregon" Even though we get more than the subject line here if the format is followed those would be the first posts in a "Meetup/Help(or whatever we'd name the sub forum), USA, Oregon" search.

It's pretty obvious we can't add a separate forum for every possible location so this would be the simplest way to create a searchable database.

The poster can add any data relevant up to their comfort level in the post text. (I have tools, let's ride, place to sleep, I like beer, etc) Further communication and details can be handled through the PM system.

OK, that's my take on a way to do this. Suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:48 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Could we somehow make use of one of the map apps like Google maps for this? Share a map and any one who wants to be on could drop a pin near there home town with there forum user name. We could keep a link to the map in a sticky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:04 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

ddlewis wrote:
Could we somehow make use of one of the map apps like Google maps for this? Share a map and any one who wants to be on could drop a pin near there home town with there forum user name. We could keep a link to the map in a sticky

It could be done with a Google Fusion Table. Maintaining/updating the database would be the trick. Using multiple collaborators (everyone willing to be on the list adds their own data) would work if everyone plays nice. We'd need to decide what info would be needed... can even attach photos so you know who you are meeting. Lots of options.... a bit of work to setup. I just threw a quick table together filtered by City, State/Province, Country. Click on the markers for detailed info. Google does the location work as long as you are entering a city it understands.... seems to know all the ones I put on the global map. USA, Italy, Russia, OZ...

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1qtz76QC-PGKNScJHDZSBUxH9x-QTC1Qxhuf7DWTu#map:id=3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:27 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

mxrob wrote:
ddlewis wrote:

It could be done with a Google Fusion Table. Maintaining/updating the database would be the trick. Using multiple collaborators (everyone willing to be on the list adds their own data) would work if everyone plays nice. We'd need to decide what info would be needed... can even attach photos so you know who you are meeting. Lots of options.... a bit of work to setup. I just threw a quick table together filtered by City, State/Province, Country. Click on the markers for detailed info. Google does the location work as long as you are entering a city it understands.... seems to know all the ones I put on the global map. USA, Italy, Russia, OZ...

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1qtz76QC-PGKNScJHDZSBUxH9x-QTC1Qxhuf7DWTu#map:id=3

That seems perfect.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:25 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I am in,I know what this can mean to you when on the road.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:28 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Of course I'm in on this idea.

I'm unable to see the google fusion chart via the link mxrob provided. I think it is a great idea just to be able to help someone else out if possible. Maybe just to them up with a DUTCH BROS for the road.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:24 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

fatback wrote:
Of course I'm in on this idea.

I'm unable to see the google fusion chart via the link mxrob provided. I think it is a great idea just to be able to help someone else out if possible. Maybe just to them up with a DUTCH BROS for the road.

Possibly requires a google account? Not sure here.... kind of bodes well for just using my first suggestion which would be all based on the DRRiders web server. Not as blingy but still would provide the data required. :dunno:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:53 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

mxrob wrote:
fatback wrote:
I'm unable to see the google fusion chart via the link mxrob provided.

Possibly requires a google account? Not sure here.... kind of bodes well for just using my first suggestion which would be all based on the DRRiders web server. Not as blingy but still would provide the data required. :dunno:

MXR is probably right. I can see it, but can`t log in. The program welcomes me by my sister-in-law`s name, so it probably thinks I`m her. :biggrin:
As for which is blingier or which is better, you obviously aren`t going to be able to accomodate everybody (bet you already learned that about forum life). For the map I can`t sign in, and for the First Suggestion I don`t have the slightest idea what you`re talking about.

Sigh... life in the 21st century is rough for a semi luddite. I do agree it`s a great idea in general, though.