www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:26 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:22 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

You don't have to sign in to view the map. You can also still click on the map markers to see the details for each marker. Should you want to become a collaborator (add yourself to the list of members offering help/services/riding) you would have to create a free google account.

The first option I mentioned would look like this:

In the "Adventure Addicts" forum there would be another sub forum at the top (like the GPS sub forum) We'd name it some cool name like "I'm not paranoid, come meet me" :rofl: You'd click on that and see a list of subject lines just like any of our forums. But in this case we'd stick to a std subject line format:

Subject: USA, Oregon, Springfield or Canada, Ontario, Grant

Message Body: You could write anything here. I have beer!, Willing to meet somewhere for dinner, I have a hammer and a chisel (full service repairs), Extra bed out in the shed. Maybe the type of riding... SM Hooligans only, Killer trails, You better like sand whoops, etc.

The subject line format would be key to allow riders to get to the data they are looking for all grouped together by using the Sort By filter at the bottom of the forum subject line list. I'd be willing to bet our Google custom search would also pick up on the format so likely just a USA, Oregon search would bring up everyone in Oregon on the list.....

Clear as mud?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:39 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I can see the map and the data in the Google fusion table app but not add a row.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:14 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I think I get it now. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:07 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

ddlewis wrote:
I can see the map and the data in the Google fusion table app but not add a row.

Yeah, I'm just using this as an example of what could be done.... not planning on this being the actual map we'd use.

We'd need a lot more input/interest to venture into the Fusion Table route. We could start out with a sub forum in Adventure Addicts with me doing a first post that we could later add the Fusion Table link to if there ended up being enough interest. At minimum we could use the sub forum in the manner I mentioned (or any other ideas members come up with) to start out and if enough members find it useful a serious investigation of the fusion table could be looked into.

Fusion Tables are added through Google Drive. I would use my DRRiders Admin Google account (adrrider@gmail.com) for the Fusion Table host site. This is all just speculative since we're not really sure if more than 6 people have any interest in this. :s_dunno

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:14 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Anyone travelling in my neck of the woods is welcome to use my tools/ lawn if they need to. :drinks:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:23 pm 

That is great Rob! :clapping: Thank you! I was busy over the long weekend and did not get a chance to look at this until today and really glad to see all the positive responses.

I tried logging in to my Google account and adding my name, but could not. Will keep an eye out on this side for when that might be fixed. If I can do anything, please let me know! :dirol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:05 pm 

Rob, let me know if there is anything I can do to help with this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:20 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Alright then... I will start out with the sub form under (literally above) Adventure Addicts. If we get enough interest we can look seriously into the Fusion Table.

So the first question.... what descriptive sub form title should we use? Member Encounters Group? Member Meet and Greet? We need it to be more descriptive than just "member locations" but not too long. Suggestions? :s_dunno

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:59 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Hey, I like "Member Locations"! Short and to the point. :good: Just put a little more description underneath like the others.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:32 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Motodrum1 wrote:
Hey, I like "Member Locations"! Short and to the point.

+1
But whatever it ends up being titled will be fine.