www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:30 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil leak from drain bolt
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:19 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Greetings,

I'm the new owner of a 2002 DR650se. Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong section. Feel free to pint me in the right direction.

After only a couple week, I noticed that I have a leak. Bad enough… a drop every few minutes I'd say.

It's coming from the drain bolt. It appears there's some kind of plastic thin washer… maybe a rig or maybe a "crush washer" I hear about?

Bad news is that it seems to re-lease the thread when I try and tighten it. Which suggests that likely it's not as simple as a new washer, but rather I have a stripped thread or worse…

What's the thing to do here? Is there's a good fix other than sealing the entire hole with JB Weld? Is re-threading rocket science? Or is that something I should try and tackle myself (so-so on the handy side)

Thanks,

~Mabus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:39 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

i would pull the bolt out and let the oil drain for a hour or so. then take a good light and look at the bolt and the case. If the bolt looks fine make sure its the correct one. Then go get a copper or aluminum crush washer from any auto parts store or mc shop. Us that. Also if the threads look a bit iffy on the case you could run a tap into it just to clean up the threads a little. if you do that pour a quart of the cheap oil in it to flush out debris. When the new bolt goes in looser is better than to tight. i like to have mine just snug, then use safety wire on it. That way if it was to back out it couldn't.

see how in this image the bolt can't back out. Thats what you want.

2000 Dr650se with 15,500+ miles. 40F and corbin seat. TM40

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:34 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Not uncommon for ham fisted shade tree mechanics to strip the the oil plug threads. You can do several things like drill and tap the threads to the next size up or install a Time-Sert.

Lots of videos on YouTube under "stripped oil pan bolt"

If you are lucky the treads are not stripped and the crush washer is your problem. While they can be used mutiple times its best to to do so and replace them at least every other oil change or when leaking. They do need to "crush" to seal. The more crushing to get it to "crush" means you are using extra force to tighten the oil pan bolt. this is how they get stripped.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:49 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

+1 on the crush washer

In my case I had not cleaned all the sufficiently at one oil chain and I had a slow weep.

Cleaning the washer, bolt and block surfaces meticulously at each change does well for me :good:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:51 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Great. Thank you. I'm going to explore all those tips.