www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:19 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lost Coast, CA Aug 14-16
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:56 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Hello DRRIDERS

Uberkul and I are at it again! This time we've planned a short 3 day weekend.

Day 1: Travel day (though, highway 1 north from SF is a pretty fun twisty route, and beautiful!). We will meet up on Highway 1 north of Jenner, CA. We will continue on 1 until it turns inland, and then continue north on Usal road, just enough to get our tires dirty before we camp at Usal Campground.

Day 2: See attachment. We will ride Usal road north, staying mostly coastal. 110 miles of fire roads or so, and we'll be in fortuna, where we will stop at Eel River brewery. After the rest stop, we'll ride 101 through the world famous "avenue of the giants" (old growth redwood!), and loop back around to Usal camp, where we'll lay our head for the evening.
Attachment:
File comment: Day 2
LostCoastDSLoop.jpg
LostCoastDSLoop.jpg [ 134.21 KiB | Viewed 849 times ]

Day 3: Drive home along highway 1.

The Commited:
Tombo
Uberkul
Tricky
Motodrum1 (meeting for lunch)

On the fence:
DR.FEELGOOD650

Anyone is welcome to join - this is a self supported camping trip, and it is uncharted territory for both Uberkul and I once we hit Usal road (so be ready for an adventure!)

Last edited by Tombo on Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:02 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Looks like fun, you guys have great scenery over there, looking forward to pics and videos, we have great sand and tourists over here...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:36 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

There are beautiful sights in florida too - but they have more to do with thong bikinis than rugged coastline. :rofl:

If you ever make it out this way, let us know and we'll plan a ride around it :drinks:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:07 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

:clapping: This will be a fantastic ride!!! I encourage all who can make it to do so. :Roost:

Just south of Usal Campground, Highway 1 starts to take you easterly away from the coast eventually ending at Legget/Highway 101. It does this because the coastal terrain was considered too rugged and difficult to continue building a highway in this area. But you will continue traveling north at this point by taking Usal Rd staying close to the coast. This vast coastal area from here all the way up to due west of Fortuna is known as the "Lost Coast". Much of this area consists of beautiful King Range. http://www.blm.gov/nlcs_web/stateUnitFu ... creen.html

Avenue of the Giants is very cool too, even if you Bay Area brothers are no strangers to Redwoods. Unfortunately I have work commitments for that week including a field meeting in Mendocino County on Fri 8/14. But please give me a call or text about an hour before you get into Fortuna on Saturday. I'll PM Tombo my phone number. I'd love to meet you guys for lunch if possible. Eel River Brewery is great. Beer, food, atmosphere, prices,...all good. First round is on me for all who come. :drinks:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:14 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

YEAH! Great to hear from you! And glad to know the route is a good one. :friends: :drinks: :bumps:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:46 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Motodrum1 wrote:
:clapping: This will be a fantastic ride!!! I encourage all who can make it to do so. :Roost:

Just south of Usal Campground, Highway 1 starts to take you easterly away from the coast eventually ending at Legget/Highway 101. It does this because the coastal terrain was considered too rugged and difficult to continue building a highway in this area. But you will continue traveling north at this point by taking Usal Rd staying close to the coast. This vast coastal area from here all the way up to due west of Fortuna is known as the "Lost Coast". Much of this area consists of beautiful King Range. http://www.blm.gov/nlcs_web/stateUnitFu ... creen.html

Avenue of the Giants is very cool too, even if you Bay Area brothers are no strangers to Redwoods. Unfortunately I have work commitments for that week including a field meeting in Mendocino County on Fri 8/14. But please give me a call or text about an hour before you get into Fortuna on Saturday. I'll PM Tombo my phone number. I'd love to meet you guys for lunch if possible. Eel River Brewery is great. Beer, food, atmosphere, prices,...all good. First round is on me for all who come. :drinks:

If you know of any super secret connectors off of Usal, Kings Peak or Wilder Ridge Rd please share. Reconciling my mapping against Google Earth took away what I thought might be some cool tracks (Cooksie Ridge to Prosper Ridge). I'm ok with no trip wires or banjo music.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:49 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Been tweaking the return leg to get us some more dirt road back to camp. After a groceries stop in Garberville we'll head back into the sticks and pop out at camp (in theory).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:09 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Awesome. More dirt = better :Roost:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:03 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

This looks like a blast! btw, how much of that loop is dirt? Like Tombo said, more the better... Oh, and how's the fuel availability, you know, for the stock-tankers? That's about a 130 mile trip to get to the start point for me, and if i wasn't driving a 50 year old truck, i'd be totally down to drive out to the start point then ride the rest. My truck is reliable....to a point. lol Sounds fuuuuuuun though

Feel free to check it out, like, subscribe, comment. I'm down to ride-guide or ride along with anyone who comes out to Carnegie SVRA near Tracy/Livermore Ca, and would like to ride the park without worrying about getting lost or riding off a cliff. Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:01 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

DR.FEELGOOD650 wrote:
This looks like a blast! btw, how much of that loop is dirt? Like Tombo said, more the better... Oh, and how's the fuel availability, you know, for the stock-tankers? That's about a 130 mile trip to get to the start point for me, and if i wasn't driving a 50 year old truck, i'd be totally down to drive out to the start point then ride the rest. My truck is reliable....to a point. lol Sounds fuuuuuuun though

I'm guessing about 60% of this loop is dirt and 149 miles from camp to gas in Fortuna. Tombo has a stock tank too so if you are getting 43 MPG or better you should be good. I have an IMS so we can pull from mine if needed. Maybe we can run up to Leggett to top off Friday night, there's worse rides for gas :woohoo: I heard the Peg House just north of Leggett has pretty good food as well, might keep me from eating a dehydrated meal if we are there near dinner time (please God let us be there near dinner time!).
You are about as far away as I am from Friday camp. I plan on meeting Tombo at Stewarts Point at the intersection of Skaggs Springs Rd and Hwy 1 at noon.