www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:24 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:42 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Uberkul wrote:
DR.FEELGOOD650 wrote:
This looks like a blast! btw, how much of that loop is dirt? Like Tombo said, more the better... Oh, and how's the fuel availability, you know, for the stock-tankers? That's about a 130 mile trip to get to the start point for me, and if i wasn't driving a 50 year old truck, i'd be totally down to drive out to the start point then ride the rest. My truck is reliable....to a point. lol Sounds fuuuuuuun though

I'm guessing about 60% of this loop is dirt and 149 miles from camp to gas in Fortuna. Tombo has a stock tank too so if you are getting 43 MPG or better you should be good. I have an IMS so we can pull from mine if needed. Maybe we can run up to Leggett to top off Friday night, there's worse rides for gas :woohoo: I heard the Peg House just north of Leggett has pretty good food as well, might keep me from eating a dehydrated meal if we are there near dinner time (please God let us be there near dinner time!).
You are about as far away as I am from Friday camp. I plan on meeting Tombo at Stewarts Point at the intersection of Skaggs Springs Rd and Hwy 1 at noon.

I do, for the record have a Roto pax, which I will make sure is filled before our night of camping. Since we haven't pre-ridden this route, I'd recommend similar for others with a stock tank, even if it's just a couple of camp fuel bottles, or a small gas can held in place with a bungee. Better safe than sorry.

As I was saying in the other thread, we are riding our loaded dr's for the whole route, leaving from our individual homes and meeting en route.

From Tracy, you could either meet me in the city and ride all of one with me, or take 580, then meet me at Stinson beach - a pretty awesome route over mt tam could be yours as part of that route.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:44 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

There's gas available in Petrolia. You guys are going through Petrolia, Ferndale, then to Fortuna, correct? You guys can always call me if you get in a jam.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:48 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Motodrum1 wrote:
There's gas available in Petrolia. You guys are going through Petrolia, Ferndale, then to Fortuna, correct? You guys can always call me if you get in a jam.

:friends: wish you could do this trip with us! But it'll be great to meet you for lunch. Good tip on petrolia. Seems to be a good namesake?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:59 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

It's where the first oil well in California was drilled, hence the name. There's a gas pump outside the town store. Tiny town. Can't miss it...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:09 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Motodrum1 wrote:

Yes sir, thought we might run down to Centerville and try to make some runs on the beach.
Might prove entertaining. :rofl:

Made a fun little 35 mile loop for dinner and gas if we decide to go. Note the Eel River water crossing, and more dirt!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:48 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

:pimped: Bumbity bump. :bumps:
It's been a long time since I've looked forward to a ride as much as this one! This should be a GREAT ride with mild temps, big views and lots of easy dirt roads. If it goes epic you don't want to be the one who said "I should'a...".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:11 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Very tempted. Did Usal beach road on the DR a few weeks back and had a blast, perfect road for the DR. There is also a little store and gas station at Honeydew too which is probably 20 miles or so from the north end of usal along some fun goaty pavement. I think you pass it if you're heading up towards Mattole beach.

The lost coast is by far my favourite part of California. If I get my sh*t into gear could potentially try and leave work early on Friday and get to Usal camp by nightfall.

I also have a gpx file somewhere of a bunch of trails a buddy got from some dual sporters who were doing a rally around the usal/lost coast area too. I'll see if I can find it....

Quick question - i've only been riding in the dirt for about a year or so (but street for a while), not slow but not fast either would that be ok?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:11 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Ride your own pace and we wait at the turns, no one gets left behind. Depending on start time we may not have a lot of time to lollygagg but I for one still plan on taking lots of pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:16 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The more the merrier! :friends:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:39 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Sounds like Tricky is going to try to make it from a message I received. :drinks:
Tombo, I have a little green Big Agnes tent, what color is yours? Not that there should be too many DR's camping at Usal Beach that night. We can get 8 campers in one site ($25.00) according to the website.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next