www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:57 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:20 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Hello all!

I am still only a couple of days into the ownership of my DR650 and I have already bought more stuff than I can tell my wife about! LOL The one item that is stumping me right now is a tank bag. You see, I am a tank bag kind of guy. Every bike I have ever owned, I have fitted a tank bag, you know for my man stuff!

I have been looking at tank bags, but the odd shape of the Acerbis tank with the giant gas cap sticking up on top like a big cherry on an ice cream sundae, I am stumped as to what will work and not interfere with me moving about on the saddle.

So show me what tank bag you are using with the Acerbis and help me make my decision for bike's man purse!

Thanks in advance,

Rick G

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:42 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

wolfman enduro.

It seems small but you can stuff a lot in it and stays out of your way. Designed for these style tanks.

(not my bike - random web photo)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:45 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

With the entire tank bag in behind the gas cap, does it interfere with your riding position at all? Looks like if you hit a bump and lean forward it will hit you right in your gut or chest.

Rick G

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:20 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

rickg wrote:
With the entire tank bag in behind the gas cap, does it interfere with your riding position at all? Looks like if you hit a bump and lean forward it will hit you right in your gut or chest.

Rick G

On my bike I strap it as far forward as possible. The gas cap is partially covered by the front of the bag, so it sits maybe a couple inches further forward than the pic above. IMS/Sargent seat in my case.

It's rarely noticeable. The only time it's ever slightly in the way is standing up climbing a steep-ish hill - then it's against my groin-al area.. I just lean into it.

Here's a pic of mine on my actual bike.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:26 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I just bought a Wolfman Enduro tank bag for my DR set up with a 5.3 tank. When positioned behind the gas cap it does come incontact with my abdominal area. In all fairness if I didn't have so much abdominal area it might not be such a big deal. I am going to try and position the tank bag over the gas cap and see if that makes a difference. Even if it is more comfortable I am not in love with the thought of having to unbuckle the bag everytime I need a fill up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:56 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Cheapo $38 bag. Carb nipple cap with a micro tiny hole in it for a tank cap vent. The bag can ride on top ok.
30,000 miles this way. NOBODY will ever steal this bag, lol. It's pathetic. I strap it compressed when empty-ish.

Being able to stand and clear the bag for a trail rise is a good thing, imho. I couldn't do that with the 'proper' filled tight enduro bag. Go figure that design, and I'm 5'10" :crazy: Even filled, this is much lower than my Wolf' at its rear, so I have an easier go at it. I like to carry stuff up front on any bike.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:21 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

OP here, reporting back with my Tank Bag decision, I went with the Nelson Riggs Adventure Slim Tank Bag, about $70 on Amazon. It looks good on the bike don't you think?

Attaches on the sides to the frame rails making a neat attachment point.

The clips that attach the straps to the bag are a little finicky, but it will work. Haven't taken a ride with it yet, but I see no reason why it won't work well. I have sat on the bike, and very little if any interference.

Right now, it is a keeper!

Rick G

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:25 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Nelson Rigg used to be my choice for soft saddle bags. They make a good product! :good:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:04 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I like the looks of that Nelson Rigg bag. I desperately need a larger tank, but I've been holding off because my magnetic, expandable Joe Rocket bag is so dang handy I just can't bring myself to give it up. I may have to reconsider a bit...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:45 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

In addition to the finicky clips, the map pocket loads from the inside and is a little bit smaller than the window, which means if you fold your map to take advantage of the entire window, it doesn't fit easily into the pocket. In order to access the pocket, you have to unzip the lid, so I am calling the map pocket finicky too. Again, I think it will work as I do like the way it fits, and the straps are neatly out of the way so I am going to see how it works in use.

Rick G