www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 6:33 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:31 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Patrick (DR Grifter) Tombo, Locknut (Don) and I (Uberkul) got together for a little meet and ride this weekend. We converged in West Point, CA at the Cozy Cabin where Locknut has some very fond memories, think first love, of a burger he once had there.
DR Grifter on the left and Tombo on the right.

Don.

Fortified, we rolled to my place geared down and up as needed to visit a vantage point called Calaveras Dome. Airing down for the gravel roads

If you are going to make people hike for a view you don’t tell them in advance.

The air is a little thinner up here.

Forest Service will spare no expense keeping you where you belong.

Fridays post-ride BS session at the mini-mart. You know what happens when you get a couple ex-racers together...entertainment.

Stay tuned the real ride hasn’t even started yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:03 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Aw, man- ANOTHER thread! Well, glad things went well yesterday. My house was a circus last night and this morning cause my wife invited a whole herd of kids over to camp in our back yard, and they seem to have dificulty keeping the campsite outside. Anyway, most have now been claimed by their moms, and I managed to get my self packed up in the midst of all the screams and melted S`more footprints. The only thing I can`t find is the southern half of my TNF map- should have put it back in my map box rather than leaving it "at the ready" on the kitchen table after reviewing it the other day.
Now, just waiting my my call to action and hop on the bike :lurk:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:07 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Group ride! SWEET!!! :friends:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:57 am 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

:clapping:

:lurk:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:03 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Morning start, look how fresh!

Ha! Does NOT apply!

Overlooking Bear River Reservoir and Tombo feeling righteous.

Picking our way on dirt trails to Tahoe.

Fighting traffic in South Lake Tahoe. How can you not feel like a complete bad-ass riding a dual sport amongst the sheeple.

Super Secret trail after lunch had Patrick yearning for a 250cc dirt bike. It was plenty chewed up compared to the last time though years ago.

But he’s a happy camper again on the ridge.

Getting around a little rock slide.

Water bars… you gotta love ‘em.

Brian (bdesj) met us just outside Carson City after coming down from Reno.

Because the Washington Fire had shut down our intended route home we had to backtrack a ways the next day.

DR Grifter having me check his front tread at speed since I was just sitting there.

Bdesj doing a little trail repair with a clamp from Grifters spare parts bin.

Tombo hooked me up with this awesome little snack, it made my mouth very happy.

More water bars and damp soil from a rain the night before made for a seriously good time on our plan B route.

That’s it from me but hopefully the other guys will chime in. It was great meeting and riding with these other DR riders. Good guys one and all. Hopefully we get something on the books for the next DR gathering and more can join in.

Last edited by Uberkul on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:27 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Uberkul wrote:
DR Grifter having me check his front tread at speed since I was just sitting there.
^^^Awesome shot!

It was a shorter ride than I expected from the Uberheadquarters to Reno, so I ended up just comming home in one shot. Even with a cheeseburger stop in Strawberry, made it easily before dark, probably even beat Team SF Bay home. I didn`t get as many pics as Uberkul, but I should have a few worth adding to the collection later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the great company, guys!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:49 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

First off - GREAT contributions uberkul! Really some stellar shots in there.

For me, the trip started friday morning, I had an 11 AM meet time with Grifter in martinez, which is an hour from my house.

Here she is warming up, and with my load for the trip, save for my hydration pack, which carries water and some snacks (waffles!)

Meeting up with Grifter at a starbucks in martinez. I showed up a few minutes early despite hitting the road late, and Grif beat me out by 10 minutes.

Despite having arrived at our rendezvous early, we departed late, conversation got the best of us :biggrin: . Our ride took us 4 for a while, until we reach river road 160, 12, a very brief stint on i 5, peltier road, 88, then 26 until we reached cozy's, about 20 minutes past our 1:30 meet up.

After a delicious meal, we headed up to Brad's to offload unnecessary gear before hitting the afternoon ride.

We took to a small twisty road which was completely devoid of other traffic, save for the occasional cow, which lead us a to a rocky fire road. FINALLY! it has been since january that my DR had been in dirt, so it was awesome just to be there. The road was really fun, actually, and though it was tame compared to what we would encounter later this trip, it provided me with time to get used to the familiar feel of dirt under the tires. Speaking of tires, only Brad had aired down after the first few miles of fire road, so we stopped to air down about halfway through. Man oh man, what a difference.

We came to a small hiking trail (see brad's photos), and walked downhill to a precipice where I snapped this photo.

After the ride was over, we filled up for the next day and shot the sh*t outside the gas station. After I removed my helmet, someone pointed out my brutal raccoon face going on. I have a few tendencies that have encouraged this look: I often follow too closely given the dust in the air, I always ride with the my visor up (unless at freeway speeds), and I wear Ray Ban Wayfarers when I ride. Excuse the selfie.

That was more or less the end of Day One, and it ended with a deliciously prepared thinly sliced flank steak by Uberkul and his wife, a few too many beers for me, and conversations 'til well past our bedtimes. That's it for now, I'll post up the next days soon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:16 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Love it, guys. Thanks for sharing all the pictures. :drinks:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:43 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

It was great meeting you guys Friday. Heck of a view after lunch (altho we, aahhheeeeem, Uberkul, pretty much burned lunch off hiking out to that view). :sarcastic: :rofl: Smart guy, that Uberkul, not saying anything about scaling
Half Dome's brother w/o tackle. I would have called in a buddy with a friking helicopter had I known. (Note to self: pay more attention to a younger guy giggling under his breath).

The secret chia seed formula will no doubt bond 'Grif, Tombo, Uberkul & myself for life. . .given the seriousness and R&D that went into it. When I share, I share big. . :diablo: :crutch: Really. . don't wanna hurt 'nobody.
The burger was pretty good too. Heard Tombo muttering something about 'good' when he came up for air between mouthfuls.

Bummer I missed bdesj. Some other time I'm sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:32 am 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

Great photos and you guys obviously had a great time! :Roost: