www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:34 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:52 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Day two started a little earlier than the beer I had the night before wanted to allow - but with some determination, I persevered and was able to roll out of bed at about 7am, and I was greeted by a pancake breakfast and a damn fine cup of coffee. After breakfast, we filled our hydration packs, put on some gear and we must have been on the road before 8:30. Yesterday when we arrived in wilseyville, it was 104F out, and you could already feel at this point that it would be another scorcher.

Our ride today started along the same twisty road that we had ridden the previous afternoon, only today, we ran into some traffic - two semi's pulling livestock trailers - and they were unyielding for a couple miles. The nice part is that I was able to capture a great shot of Uberkul.

The twisty road met up with dirt much faster today then it did the previous morning, and our route was predominantly broken up fire roads with a few small single track sections between switch backs. This first part of the ride is predominantly downhill, heading down the ridge we were on top of the previous evening, and heading down to the river at the base of the canyon. The scenery was amazing - mostly tree covered dense forrest for this first part of the dirt. Probably 15 miles or so into the days ride, we came to the river crossing (a bridge), at which point we stopped to catch our breath. Brad took us a bit down the road (and off our route) and showed us the precipice we had been on top of the previous night. It's the rounder one on the left.

We took a long twisty secluded paved forestry road up towards 50, but took a little detour up a fairly steep/loose/rocky singletrack no more than a 1/4 mile long, up to the top of this view. Somehow, a bee had made it into my pants and I got stung on my right hip. DOH!

Up until this point, this was the most technical part of the ride - but we all made it without more than a mention of it's intensity. It was a blast! :Roost: But after the quick bit of dirt, it was back to the road - about 20 or so miles of pavement into south lake tahoe, which is where we stopped for fuel and belly fuel. We decided to eat fairly light, which turned out to be a good idea, as things got hairier than any one of us expected after lunch! :crazy: :OMG:

Excuse the long writing, but in true dual sport fashion, we failed to take pictures of the most technical stuff - and the few pictures we took home from this section don't truly illustrate the intensity of the trail... So we scooted through an unassuming neighborhood; which actually confused me a little bit at first, but right next to an unassuming home, there was a dirt track the headed into the surrounding forrest. The trail conditions were rough - VERY loose and silty piles of dirt filling up "V" ruts, gnarly whoops on all the straight aways, and the occasional loose rock gardens filled with loose and embedded baby heads. The "V" on the rut did help to create some berms around the tight corners, which truly was the ONLY option for many of the kinks in the trail, otherwise you risk getting stuck in the deep silt or on the large embeded rocks. These conditions persisted, and actually became more challenging as the incline increased. It was more than just challenging - it was also exhausting which presented it's own challenge - all the whoops in the straight aways means you don't get any rest, and now that the incline was increasing, you had no choice but to gun it up the hill climbs or risk getting stuck at slower speeds. This was the first time I was starting to feel hot, despite having spent most of this weekend in 90F+ heat, and I could feel that my entire body was covered in sweat. Still in the middle of what turned out to be the most technical part of the trail, I was soldiering on but starting to feel really tired, and so I was starting to make stupid mistakes in choosing my line. This resulted in me having my second spill of the trip. My front tire was gripping the right side of the "v" rut, and trying to recenter, I pitched my front tire to the left side of the rut, gassed it a bit too hard, and the rear wheel shot itself out and put the bike down on the right side. Unharmed, I picked it up immediately trying to avoid a flood out, and once I picked it up, I realized how winded I had become. I was GASPING for air. I took a few moments to catch my breath, started up the DR and walked it under power to a good spot to side stand it momentarily. I got back on the bike and headed a few hundred feet up the trail and found Brad with his DR on it's side. Apparently he had been trying to pick it up UPHILL, but ended up spinning the bike 180, and by the time I got there, he was picking it up. Here is a picture of the trail near where I he had layed his bike down.

It was there that we waited for 5-10 minutes for Patrick to arrive, but he didn't. Brad went back down the trail and found Patrick stuck in the silt with a big rock in front of his back tire. Once we re-grouped, you could tell we were all feeling challenged, even Brad who had only done this trail years ago, and apparently, in much better trail conditions (not so silty). However, the hardest of the trail was now behind us, and it was just a few more tough sections before we reached the ridge road. Here are 3 pictures, the first one is patrick down at the bottom of the climb for scale.

And brad coming in hot, powering the back end to his right for style points. He's a really smooth rider, and I learned a lot riding behind him this weekend.

It was on this trail that I noticed I had taken a pretty big smack to my bash plate... Though from other pictures, it looks like it happened much earlier in the day.

Once on the ridge, the trail conditions were still VERY whoopy and loose, but it was not as steep or rocky, and the road was much wider (two track/fire roadish). Once we came over the top, we had this view.

They allowed us to park our bikes under the overhang where you park to check in to the hotel!

And, WHOOPED at the end of the day and with my clothes SOAKED through and through, here is the end of the day raccoon look. You can see how beat I am in the photo - it was a tough day, but really great. I loved the challenge, and my DR ate it right up.

And that's pretty much it. On day 3, we rode back from carson, and Patrick and I rode all the way back to the bay area. Look how many miles the trip was!

And one last selfie, Day 3's Raccoon Look.

Last edited by Tombo on Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:38 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Wow, you guys really grabbed some nice pitures! I snuck onto the computer this morning before putting my crap away, need to finish up here and do my chores before my wife gets back from where ever she went. It looks like Tombo is in the midst of posting up some more, but I`m just going to cross my fingers and hope I don`t cut him off.

Since I missed all the gnastie-gnarlies from Day 1, my only first day pic is our tire`d rides hanging out under the motel awning. The "BeenThereDoneThat" rim belongs to DR Grifter.

Next morning, a short pow-wow in a meadow above South Tahoe.

As Uberkul noted above, Tahoe (South Tahoe, especially) has one major down side...

Then decent traffic and beautiful skies heading out of the lake towards Echo Summit.

Grifter making a U-turn in Kyburz after we overshot our road.

Another kind of traffic jam...

Uberkul and Tombo admiring a dam on the Mokeuolome River.

After we left Uberkul and split, I went back to a shot I had seen earlier and didn`t think fast enough to take the first time around- big fir chopped into pieces and dragged out of the road near the Silver Fork of the American.

Stopped for a burger in Strawberry, parked next to a CB1100 (I dig `em).

Then one last shot of a favorite view, overlooking Lake Tahoe from a pullout on SR431 (yes, Nevada has more than desert):

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:24 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Thanks to Uberkuhl, Tombo and bdesj for posting up all the great Pics! I shot a few too ... but no Action shots ... so BIG UPs to Uber and Tombo for getting a few nice ones. On day Two we did that knarly, up hill rocky section which nearly beat me. I'm out of shape but it was a tough trail for the DR650. Kudos to Tombo as a fairly new off road rider ... made it everywhere no worries ... he barely got out of breath. BICYCLE FITNESS! :Roost:

Tombo, Uberkul, Loc-Nut

The lush, verdant Doug Fir forests. A treat for the senses. Endless unimaginable beauty ... and SO MUCH too explore.

Brief rest stop overlooking yet another of our precious Sierra reservoirs ... all at record lows.

The shear scale of the giant Doug fir trees is hard to grasp with a simple photo.

This fast sandy trail was full of surprises ... at times you rode very close to the edge ... bit of a drop off. This was
the only thing that had Tombo think twice. This type of trail follows the curvature on the hillside, over all SUPER FUN trail.

Day Two started off riding this fast, flowing fire road ... with just a bit of rain over night we had NO DUST and super good tacky
traction. Fast running here, covering lots of miles in a hurry. More Fun!

I was too beat and gasping for air to document my own torture moment ascending the tricky rocky uphill. Too high gearing and poor fitness meant too slow an ascent. Slow speed meant being bounced off line into trouble.

But I only stalled once, didn't tip over, just dug in the rear in a soft section. Luckily Uber arrived and with a bit of push, I was out.

The DR is not my first choice for attacking big ugly, loose rock sections. We all did it ... but not the DR's (or my) strong suit. But with good technique and speed, it's easier .... until it's not. :sarcastic:

The ride home was great, shooting down Highway 26, truly one of California's great roads. Fresh sticky pavement in perfect condition ...
not ONE car in our way. This road was a great alt to boring, fast highway. Wonderful. From there we eventually hooked up with Highway 4 and rode traffic free all the way back to the Bay area. The 14T front sprocket is not ideal for fast freeway work but GREAT over all on mountain roads, fire roads and mild trails. For the knarly ... go lower still. But forget comfortable high speed cruising. (70 to 75mph)

Thanks again to Uberkul and Kristi for hosting the San Fran reprobates and to Brad for leading us on a truly spectacular ride.
Hope we can put some future rides together ... Trinity Alps and Black Rock Desert come to mind! :Roost:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:25 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Nice pics Patrick! :friends:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:03 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Nice pics and commentary from all the guys who joined our little trip. Thanks again for making it a memorable weekend. :drinks:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:39 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Awright, a full set of pitchers now :clapping:

After a better look at that rocky, churned up trail you guys took out of Chimney Rock on Sat, I`m not so bummed about missing half the ride! I checked out Uberkul`s SPOT tracks last night to try piecing things together and I see that you made a detour out into the middle of the lake (point 15, I think)- must have been to cool off after all that dusty pushing.

Uberkul and Grifter, I also want to thank you guys for the gravel riding tips that you gave us- looking forward to practicing what I can remember of that discusion.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:30 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Looks like a fun ride, I'll be heading that on 7/11-12.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:46 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Ever think about planning another Carson City ride?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:04 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

We did the ride again this last June, and I would be interested in doing it again this year, but again it won't be till the summer. I want to talk to Uberkul and see if we can run it backwards this year though, I think it would be a cool change. If Brad isn't down this year, I have the route, and I may put it on myself.

Also Check out my Facebook Page here---> Beyond2Wheels on Facebook