www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:33 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please post a concise description of the product in the subject line so other members will have an easier time locating the info they seek. No Hijacking or off topic discussions will be allowed to keep the info short and to the point. All opinions are welcome from members having experience with the subject line product.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:08 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I am very happy with this shock. I'm able to ride my DR the way I want to off-road now, getting a bit of air off the bumps in the trail and not having to slow down for fear of bottoming out. I never intend to push the limits on the DR like i do on my 200XC-W, but I didn't like the feeling of having to slow down since i was riding over the limits of my suspension. That is now not a problem.

I ordered from Rick and Joyce and Cogent. I installed the shock and the sag was setup perfectly. I haven't touched the clickers either. Bike feels very planted on-road also.

Here was my thought process for purchasing this very top of the line expensive shock:
- I didn't have an extra shock lying around to send in ~ $430 including new spring. If i had, i might have gone this route. Since i like to tinker and tune etc., not having a rebound adjuster on this option didn't appeal to me. But, now after receiving the Pro-series and not feeling like i need to touch the clickers, I think this option is pretty good bang for the buck sine it will probably be perfectly set up.

- To add the rebound almost brings the cost close to buying the Mojave shock. Buying the Mojave, no down time for the bike. And there's a used market for the Mojave if i ever sold the DR i'd re-install the original shock.

- What's another $335 to upgrade to the Pro-series vs. the standard Mojave.

*Please note i'm not discrediting these other options, this was simply my decision-making

I removed/installed my shock by disassembling the linkage and dropping it out through the bottom. I did have to remove the header as well to make clearance. Careful on those needle bearings in the linkage.

Like everyone says, upgrade the suspension, you will not regret it! :bumps:

Metcalf Motorcycle Park San Jose, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:06 am 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

jlamb4483 wrote:
I removed/installed my shock by disassembling the linkage and dropping it out through the bottom. I did have to remove the header as well to make clearance. Careful on those needle bearings in the linkage.

Nice! :2_thumbsup: The main thing is you got it done.

On the chance it might be helpful for anyone else about to change the rear shock for the first time, there might be a little easier way to do it. I was able to replace my rear shock by removing just the seat, side covers and airbox. The original shock came right out the top and the new one, a Cogent rebuild, dropped right back in it's place. No messing with the linkage nor any problem with header clearance.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:40 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

+1
Thats the way I did it too woodrat, piece of weez!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:49 am 
DR650 Limits Tester

Having tested both the OEM shock completely built by cogent and the pro series i can say the Pro Series is the way to go if you can afford it. Once the OEM shock is sprung, valved, and has rebound adjustibility it is very impressive and well worth the money dont get me wrong, but the Pro Series is on a whole different level. It has 10 times the adjustibiliity and doesn't build crazy heat like the OEM shock and I have to say from everything from a relaxed ride to work to riding the DR on a super cross track that shock does it all!

The more you ride that shock the more you will appreciate you decision. Do you have a Cogent front end?

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:39 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I do have the DDC's with .525 rate springs. I was blown away at the improvement over stock. I'm pumped on my bike now that it's full Cogent, it is impressive. I really have no reservation about going fast off road now.

Crash- I think it was your video on the mx track really sold me on it!

As far as removing the airbox to remove the shock, if I ever need to remove it I will go that route. I just wanted to make sure the linkage was smooth and greased for this nice shock to move with.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:38 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I have a Cogent rear shock in my Wolverine Bike as I call it and I don't use my bike much for dirt riding but it gets used to go the distance.It sees its fair share of gravel and has been past the Arctic Circle and just returned from the tip of South America.I can't say just how much I like the that shock,it performs.I have never bottomed it out hitting bad holes in the road in Honduras,speed bumps in Mexico,crawled over rocks in the Andes and yet it is plush on anything in between!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:09 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I was perusing the site and came across this thread. Sorry I wasn't quicker to respond, I had missed it. Thank you all for the nice comments and your business. Me and everyone else over here really appreciate you!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:30 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

:2_thumbsup: for Cogent suspension

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:39 pm 
DR650 Limits Tester

Coming from the super competitive racing world I've been through suspension builders and Suspension bull sh*tters my whole life and I can honestly say Rick is no BS'er. That suspensions would not be on my bike if it wasn't the best in the business. Believe me I would never race sandblast and pitch my bike sideways into a beach sand corner at 100+mph if was not 150% confident that my suspension was not going to buck me off and and kill me, on the other side of its performance is its durability.........that freaking pro series has it out lasted my last 3 race bike combine, they are all gone and shock is still working fine 3 years later no issues.

Anyone who is curious about it, pm me and come ride my bike you will not be disappoint.

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:19 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Can't say enough about the customer service, time on the phone really getting the details ahead of time and follow up after install. I really just wanted to frame the Mojave Pro when I got it, but put it into service with new front springs, DDC's and adjustable fork caps.

Overall riding for this non-racer, shiny ball chaser - has been outstanding. It really saved me a few weeks ago when I didn't see a washout on an uphill. The rear hit was substantial and all I felt was control. With the stocker, I'm pretty sure I would've been looking at the sky, or the ground or a bush when it was over.

:2_thumbsup:

2007 WR450