www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:29 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:32 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I recently bought a set of SM wheels for my DR650. I commute 50% of the miles on my bike, so I was getting tired of burning through my knobbies.

The current tires on the SM Wheels are:

Bridgestone BattleAX BT45

Front 110/70-17
Rear 140/70-17

I have read that optimal sizes for my bike are:

Front 120/70-17
Rear 150/70-17

I am looking for a high mileage tire that will only see corners on the weekend.

I am currently looking at the Michelen PP3 or the Pirelli Rosso2.

Any suggestions for tire sizes and brand are appreciated.

I ride in the Arizona Desert. I am not sure if hot roads make a difference, but I am planning on roasting in 110 degree weather soon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:04 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I recently bought a additional set of stock wheels to put street tires on for when I tour. I am going to use a Shinko 712 on the rear and a Shinko 230 on the front. I have Shinko 712's on several of my street bikes and like the tires and love the price.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:33 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Late reply to the thread, so you've probably already got your new tyres, but anyway...
Do you really think you need such grippy (and quick wearing) tyres as the Pilot Power or Pirelli Rosso? They are really a supersport kind of tyre, with grip good enough for lighter racing, and any DR, no matter how tuned is hardly a perfomance monster.

Also look into the Pilot Road 4, which is one step below the Pilot Power. I just fitted those front and back on my back to my 790 cc supermoto (see signature), and while I only have about 40 miles on them so far, they seem very confidence inspiring. They supposedly last forever, and have very good wet grip. I suppose the last point is not very important for someone living in Arizona though... The Pirelli Angel ST is also a very good, similar tyre, but with slightly worse wet grip.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:17 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Thanks for the info. I ended up getting the Pirelli Rosso 2. I hear that they do pretty good. If I don't get good mileage then I will check out your suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:18 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I will second the Michelin Pilot Road tires, I did also manage to get 4000 miles out of the ContiSM attack tire on the rear...and it probably has another 500 left. I run 28 front and 30 rear and it grips and heats up nicely. Of course, if I am pushing it I run 26 front and 28 rear. On my Hayabusa, I have the Pilot Road and so far after 2000 miles it looks brand new, some people say they get up to 8000 miles on a Hayabusa so, on a DR it could easily last that long as well.

I think the key is running slightly higher pressures if you are commuting or doing much highway riding. For twisties or trackdays you'll want to run slightly lower pressures since you will be heating up the tire a lot more than a "normal" ride.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:57 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I went with the Pirellis myself with a 150/60 rear.

Just a few hundred miles so far but they are great.

Pirelli has been my main choice for street bike tires for the past decade. I've found they work best under all conditions and have fair mileage compared to other options.

I'll use Bridgestones when they're cheap, but have found that while fine when wet, and fine when cold, when wet and cold they get slippery and the mileage is never quite as good.

I haven't tried the Conti SM's but have always heard they are good.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:26 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Where are you located and what kind of roads does your commute put you on? I'm in Houston and 95% of the riding I do on my 17s is paved. When I commute, I just go through my 120 race take-offs. Any local forum or club members will be selling them in heaps by the end of summer, and they make great commuter tires because they're good rubber and usually still have a bunch of middle tread for the highways. Out here, it does rain hard but not often so I don't worry about tread design. I actually prefer a little bit of sideways action on occasion so I just slide up onto the tank and let 'er rip.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:47 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I just put a set of Avon Trailriders on my SM setup. I wanted distanzias originally but they were discontinued. These are the replacement for them. I haven't taken a ride with them yet but I bought them off of this review.

http://earth-roamers.blogspot.com/2015/ ... r.html?m=1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:10 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I'm running Michelin Pilot 2CTs and they're great. Very grippy and good tread life if you daily them. On my first trip to the canyons I wasn't pushing too hard because I didn't know the tire and what it could handle, but was confident with how small I had gotten my chicken strip. Another guy there overheard me say that to my buddy and asked what tires I was running then took me over to his KTM 500, on Michelin 2CTs he's pushing hard enough that he was starting to grind off the lettering on the sidewall. Needless to say, I felt obligated to make another run and cut that chicken strip down a little farther.

Don't lose any sleep over it. It's a DR, a two wheeled farm tractor. Not a space shuttle.