www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:52 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 5.3 or 6.6 tank?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:09 pm 

5.3 or 6.6 aceribis tank? Trying to decide which tank. Is the 6.6 too big on the DR?

Post subject: Re: 5.3 or 6.6 tank?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:00 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I knew I wanted a little more capacity. It's an inconvenience in my opinion (not mention impossible at times) to have to refuel every 150 miles or so. Every 200-225 miles or so sounded better to me. The 5.3 should take you say approximately 250 miles. The 6.6 should take you say approximately 315 miles. My thinking was this: how often will I ride more than 250 miles without being able to refuel? If never, get the 5.3. If often, get the 6.6. For me the 5.3 will take care of me 95% of the time. Plus, the 6.6 looks ugly in my opinion. I went with the 5.3. For those rare occasions, I also got a Rotopax 1.75 gal that mounts onto my rear rack. This combo gives me around 7 total gallons of fuel which should take me approximately 330 miles give or take.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:05 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Just remember you can put 5.3 gallons of fuel in a 6.6 gallon tank but you cannot do the reverse.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:19 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I went with the 5.3, When it stretches out it actually hold more. I feel a 6.6 would just add to much weight for my likings. I hit res at 270miles on the dot. Unless offroad.... then its more like 120 or so. :Roost: I'm happy with it. I havent personaly seen the 6.6, but I feel it would make trail side repairs a pain, unless it doesn't go further down then the 5.3. It was a toss up for me.. but I'm happy with my decision.

2012 DR650~ FMF-Q4,power bomb, DJ kit, modified Carb, modified air box, Twin Air filter, Pro-taper CR high bend bars, Acerbis 5.3 gal fuel tank, Vapor Tach, PWC skid plate, UNI breather filter, Moose racing hand guards, Pat Walsh rear rack, Super moto fender, 12v outlet, 14 tooth CS sprocket, Xring chain, Full cogent suspension, Runnin on Royal P.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:21 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Just remember you can put 5.3 gallons of fuel in a 6.6 gallon tank but you cannot do the reverse.

+1
:rofl:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:16 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

ProCycle wrote:
PerazziMx14 wrote:

+1
:rofl:

....and the reason I typed what I did was for responses like soarmking made in reference to weight.

if weight is such a concern just pump in 5 gallons into the 6.6 tank and call it a day. For those time you need extra fuel you have the ability to carry it. There are no rules stating how full you must fill your tank.

That said I have a 5.3 and when I'm touring this summer with guys on GS's w/ 8+ gallon tanks I'll wish I had the extra capacity. I don't like to be the cause of stopping a ride.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:52 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

My bike came with the white Acerbis 6.6 gallon tank and dual petcocks.
The reply posted by Motodrum1 is very rational.
As to the OP's question - is the 6.6 too big? Too big for what? I have no issue riding with the 6.6 tank on street/hwy/trail. I may not fill it to the brim if I'm going for a 100-mile trail ride and am concerned about picking the bike up off the ground with a full tank.

The comment about being too big for trail-side repairs stumps me. I have pulled the front wheel off for a flat repair in the field, the tank didn't get in the way, nor has the tank impeded any regular maintenance/accessorizing. Remove a couple of bolts and a fuel line and it's a non-issue.

I finally completed a run-dry test yesterday. Results are influenced by the petcocks as much as the capacity. Sorry, I don't know what petcocks are installed. Averaging about 50MPG, I hit reserve at 250 miles and empty at 261, that is to say it began to sputter and bog. Would have hoped for a more generous reserve. I had a gallon of gas in a can but decided to fill the tank since I was by a station. Took 5.5 gallons. For now I blame the petcocks, but it seems a shame to carry around a gallon of useless fuel. I could have done the lean-over thing or tossed some rocks in the tank, but wasn't that desperate.

I don't get the design. The petcocks are mounted higher than the bottom of the tank, plus the intake straws are higher than that. It seems that the bottom of the tank lobes are almost below the carb so there is no way, without a fuel pump, to get all the gas up to the intake. Otherwise, the tank functions fine and has withstood a tip-over or two with no structural damage. Scratches don't count.

I'm generally a function over form kind of guy and am a fan of big tanks, but I do think the 6.6 tank is ugly whereas the 5.3 looks fine. I would trade if the opportunity arose, mainly for aesthetics, but also because I don't think it's possible to realize the capacity promise from this tank.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:00 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I think the 6.6 needs a cross brace. You crash hard on the right with a 6.6 and it will take the oil cooler clean off. On my old DR I hit hard on the right and even with the cross brace on the safari I bent the top oil cooler pipe. It didn't leak straight away either. It waited until I was on a 3500km round trip to South Australia's Flinders Ranges :s_mad

With no cross brace the 6.6 will flex to far IMHO. On my next DR I'm only looking at the 5.3 or big safari again. I don't think you'll have the same potential to damage the oil cooler with the 5.3.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:20 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I had a hard tie deciding too, until I literally looked at them side by side at ProCycyle. For me the 6.6 looks too big and ruins the lines of the bike. I have been happy with my decision and the 5 gallons has been perfect for my riding in the boonies.

2012; ProCycle seat; Pat Walsh rack; Header-weld cleanup; Keintech midpipe & 35FO; extended mixture screw; airbox mod, TwinAir filter; ProCycle needle and jet; Upper chain guide removed; 5.3 Acerbis; License plate frame/light kit; bar risers; sheepskin, lowered pegs; 14T counter sprocket; filter magnet; oil plug magnet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:35 pm 

Will order the 5.3 with dual petcock.
Only place I have ever needed fuel and couldn't find it was on US 64 somewhere in Oklahoma. Everntually found some but was happy I had the 1.5 gallon can on the rear of my Vstrom panniers!