www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:40 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 5.3 or 6.6 tank?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:13 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

It might look that way but the 5.3 and 6.6 have identical dimensions between the knees. In that area they are also both the same as the IMS 4.9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:17 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Hey ProCycle, do you know how much fuel approximately will be left in the 5.3 vs 6.6 with one petcock when you run first out? More in the bottom of the 6.6? Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:45 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Not much. I can't say exactly how much but if you are droning sedately on smooth flat ground maybe a quart or two.

If you are riding where you are accelerating, decelerating, running over dips and bumps and tossing the bike into and out of corners most of the fuel you might think would get trapped on the right side will splash over to the left.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:12 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

It might look that way but the 5.3 and 6.6 have identical dimensions between the knees. In that area they are also both the same as the IMS 4.9

Hmm I'll have to measure them. I'm not sure I agree on that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:41 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Acerbis started with the 5.3 shape and added additional capacity.
The mockup was literally a 5.3 tank with bondo and foam stuck on and shaped.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:44 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

In my opinion, the 6.6 Acerbis is butt ugly and ruins the look of the bike. There are times when something is engineered to the excessive; and this is one of them.

21 years retired Army - Seen EVERYTHING - Done ALMOST Everything... Ooorah!

2012 DR650SE
2015 Honda F6B

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:02 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

YYZ wrote:
I have the Acerbis 5.3 and I get max 220 kms out of a full tank. Someone further up the thread mention 250 miles, I can't see how that is possible. My engine, intake exhaust etc is stock.

I got 120kms from the stock tank.

Something must be wrong with your tune.

I am a noob with my DR but it does have the Acerbis 5.3 with single petcock and just yesterday I put almost 230 miles (not km) on a tank and did not hit reserve. When I filled up I put in 4.9 gallons. That kind of shocked me as I expected their to be at least a 1/2 gallon reserve. Does anyone know what the reserve is for the 5.3 with single petcock?

Rick G

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:00 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

ridir frith wrote:
5.3 or 6.6 aceribis tank? Trying to decide which tank. Is the 6.6 too big on the DR?

I don't like the aesthetics of the 6.6, but I like having as big of a tank as i can comfortably handle. I use IMS 4.9 tanks on my DRs usually, but I have a Safari 7.9 to use for long trips. The 5gal tanks are fine for commuting and local trail rides. I much prefer them to the stock steel tank, for both range and crashability. I don't mind the width. Narrow bikes feel strange to me after riding the DR for so long. I swap bikes with guys on enduros and their bikes feel harsh and too skinny to me. The DR feels like a comfortable sofa or something. If we were competing at speed and aerials I might feel differently, but for earthbound exploring and messing around on trails all day, I prefer the width and comfort of the wider DR. I guess it's a matter of preference.

If the aesthetics, weight, and width don't bother you, I'd get a BIG tank. If the weight bothers you, only put 5 gallons in it. A plastic tank itself is pretty light. I like not having to stop for gas every day or so while commuting. I like being limited by my ergo comfort or by my bladder when on a roadtrip, rather than being limited by my fuel range.

Read about potential issues with each tank though, so you are prepared to address them. The IMS 4.9 tanks position the petcock in a way that it may contact the cylinder head, so be prepared to clearance the head with a grinder so that the petcock doesn't wear a hole in itself. The Safari 7.9 tank comes with an aluminum brace that may not be sturdy enough. Many people fab a steel brace for better strength. The Acerbis 6.6 may damage the oil cooler in a fall, unless the tank or cooler are braced. One can also remove the cooler and bypass it, but stay aware of potential overheating issues.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:29 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I was dead set against the aftermarket fuel tanks when I got my DR. but the 6.6 tank was one of the best mods I ever did.
(I would go 400kms then fill my tank and I never pushed it past that to see how far exactly it could go)
The DR isn't a pretty bike to begin with but... If you keep the bike colour coded the 6.6 doesn't look too bad. It's the clear tanks that look super pukey especially once they've seen a few years in the sun. :bad: If you don't give a damn what your DR looks like you have nothing to worry about.
ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:59 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I agree. The 6.6 doesn't look bad in person. I thought they were butt ugly based on the pictures I saw. But then I saw one in the flesh on tricky's bike. I like it! :s_yes And you're right about the natural color tanks. They don't go well with most color combos. :s_no I think they look best when you have white headlight shroud and side panels. But who cares!? The DR in my opinion is all about function over form. :bumps:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next