www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:01 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 5.3 or 6.6 tank?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:42 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

^^and that's exactly why what works for one person won't work for another :good:

I personally go on many rides that use more than the stock tank capacity and got sick of carrying a jerry! But I agree that the 6.6 looks terrible, my bike looks funny as from the front lol. But the capacity was perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:48 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Motodrum1 wrote:
Here's a pic with my Acerbis 5.3, Rotopax 1.75, and oil cooler...

And that's one nice polished pipe :biggrin: :drinks:

upper chain roller,clutch,side stand switches=removed,Craftsman $10 tool box,$10 eBay tachometer,NSU mod,raised needle, de-snorkled, Scaggs Rack,Ricochet skid plate,homemade 6061 peg lowerers,14T c/s,Garmin 60csx GPS,Moose Handguards,DRZ 250 footpegs,ProCycle seat,mid-pipe,engine armor,DR250 taillight,GSXR600 muffler,ProTaper CR1 1/8 bars, Acerbis 5.3,Dunlop 606 rear, IRC TR-8 front, Countershaft seal retainer, carb mounted choke knob.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:19 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Sparkys wrote:
^^and that's exactly why what works for one person won't work for another :good:

I personally go on many rides that use more than the stock tank capacity and got sick of carrying a jerry! But I agree that the 6.6 looks terrible, my bike looks funny as from the front lol. But the capacity was perfect.

I'd love for that to be the reality for me! It's more of a question of time for me - I'm so limited on time that I don't get far enough from san francisco on my motorcycle to be where gas is scarce. I came close when I was in tahoe, and it would have been nice to have more capacity for exploring those forestry roads without a planned stop in town. Again, I will get a bigger tank at some point...

In my first post I didn't make the call - I'd go for the 5.3 I think, simply because it looks better, and from my research, there are less reports of poor fueling when the tank gets low (which can always be a benefit if I'm doing more aggressive riding amidst long hauls between stops)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:07 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Do both of these tanks come with dual petcocks? Is the standard petcock on the Acerbis tank on the same side as the stock DR metal tank ? I ask because I recall reading once there was one aftermarket fuel tank for the DR that had it on the wrong side. I assume the need for dual petcocks is to wrangle all the fuel from the tank as the level drops.

I have the Clarke 2.7 tank for my KLX250 and Clarke replaced it under warranty when it started leaking around the brass insert for the petcock. Clarke did stand behind their product. Have many had issues with the Acerbis?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:51 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

kojack06 wrote:
Do both of these tanks come with dual petcocks?

I have the 5.3 and the previous owner had fitted dual petcocks. It looks like you could fit left, right or both as desired.
The previous owner said he liked the idea of both sides so that when the fuel is low you don't need to slosh the fuel around to get it over to the left side.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:11 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I have the Acerbis 5.3 and I get max 220 kms out of a full tank. Someone further up the thread mention 250 miles, I can't see how that is possible. My engine, intake exhaust etc is stock.

I got 120kms from the stock tank.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:18 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

YYZ, you must be running RICH. :OMG: You're getting 25 or 26 mpg? 11 km/L??? Just do the math. 48 mpg (common) x 5.3 gal = 250+ miles.

Acerbis includes only one petcock with the tank and it goes on the left pre-drilled side. However, Acerbis marks on the right side where you can install a second one. See below picture. Drilling obviously required. I've found the 5.3 to be rock solid. No flexing. No issues. I've also drained the tank and found not much fuel is left at the bottom. I suspect less than would be in the 6.6. Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:48 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

YYZ wrote:
I have the Acerbis 5.3 and I get max 220 kms out of a full tank. Someone further up the thread mention 250 miles, I can't see how that is possible. My engine, intake exhaust etc is stock.

I got 120kms from the stock tank.

Wait, WHAT!

My modded (FCR flatside carb, aftermarket headers & exhaust, etc) gets WAY better and I gas it heaps!
I rode 210km and not knowing how much gas it used (this was on the ride home after picking it up) I stopped and fuelled up - only took 11.34 litres to fill the tank to the top. At that rate I could have got 370kms out of 20 litres of petrol. My average economy since I bought the bike is 16.35 km/l which means 325km from the Acerbis 20l (5.3 US Gallon) tank. My worst fuel economy (riding too much with throttle pinned wide open and powering hard out of corners) took my range down to ~295km from the 20l tank.

For me: min - 295km, max - 370km.
How are you getting a max of 220km?

250 miles is 402kms, I'm guessing that if I took it easy and rode at a steady 90km/h I could make that sort of range. I'm sure it IS possible.

BTW:
At each fill I enter the Odo reading and litres used and price paid into Fuelio (android app) so I know how I'm doing.
This is handy for establishing how much range to expect so I know when to stop for gas.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:16 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Something that noone has mentioned is the riding position changes of each tank. The 5.3 flares your legs out like you are riding a 44 gallon drum which I found VERY uncomfortable. The 6.6 is much thinner, more like the stock tank, so you can sit right forward without splitting your gonads open.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:10 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

The 5.3 does flare your legs out slightly, agreed. I average about 50mpg, but that is with my speedometer/odometer reading about 10% fast. Range with the 5.3 gives me an easy 200 miles before I think about fuel.

2012; ProCycle seat; Pat Walsh rack; Header-weld cleanup; Keintech midpipe & 35FO; extended mixture screw; airbox mod, TwinAir filter; ProCycle needle and jet; Upper chain guide removed; 5.3 Acerbis; License plate frame/light kit; bar risers; sheepskin, lowered pegs; 14T counter sprocket; filter magnet; oil plug magnet

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next