www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:46 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 5.3 or 6.6 tank?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:49 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I think the 6.6 needs a cross brace. You crash hard on the right with a 6.6 and it will take the oil cooler clean off. On my old DR I hit hard on the right and even with the cross brace on the safari I bent the top oil cooler pipe. It didn't leak straight away either. It waited until I was on a 3500km round trip to South Australia's Flinders Ranges :s_mad

With no cross brace the 6.6 will flex to far IMHO. On my next DR I'm only looking at the 5.3 or big safari again. I don't think you'll have the same potential to damage the oil cooler with the 5.3.

See I don't get that logic.....if you're coming down hard enough to break the oil cooler, how would the tank put any more force on the cooler than the ground would have in the same accident if you had a stock tank? :dunno:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:14 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Sparkys wrote:
Pricey wrote:
I think the 6.6 needs a cross brace. You crash hard on the right with a 6.6 and it will take the oil cooler clean off. On my old DR I hit hard on the right and even with the cross brace on the safari I bent the top oil cooler pipe. It didn't leak straight away either. It waited until I was on a 3500km round trip to South Australia's Flinders Ranges :s_mad

With no cross brace the 6.6 will flex to far IMHO. On my next DR I'm only looking at the 5.3 or big safari again. I don't think you'll have the same potential to damage the oil cooler with the 5.3.

See I don't get that logic.....if you're coming down hard enough to break the oil cooler, how would the tank put any more force on the cooler than the ground would have in the same accident if you had a stock tank? :dunno:

Because with a normal tank the oil cooler is tucked out of the way. I never damaged the oil cooler when there wasn't a big fuel tank. With a stock or 5.3 the tank wont move into the oil cooler because there is less or no flex of the tank into that area. Also when a big tank flex's into the oil cooler, it will damage the top first as this is where it first comes into contact with the tank. Happens less with a safari because of the brace (but can still happen obviously) and never with the 5.3 or stock tank.

Here is the stock tank with a lovely jns guard. There is virtually no chance of the top of the oil cooler, or top pipe being damaged in a fall

Here is the 6.6

See how in any fall the tank can move into the oil cooler, particularly the top, without much effort?

Here is my old DR leaking oil from the top of the cooler after the oil line cracked in a crash and vibrated apart 1000kms after. Would have been even worse without the brace as it would've made the bike immobile in the original crash. We managed to patch the oil cooler with quick steel and limp 200k to Mildura where I scored a 2nd hand oil cooler from the wreckers. Alway carry quick steel in your emergency kit :good:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:24 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Here's a pic with my Acerbis 5.3, Rotopax 1.75, and oil cooler...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:17 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

This is what happened to dirty merc on a lhs fall with the flexi 6.6 tank. If it had been the rhs, the oil cooler would've taken the hit

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=986500

Others on this thread are also concerned about oil cooler clearance issues with the 6.6 so I'm definitely not the only one :wink:

http://drriders.com/topic10757.html

IMHO the 6.6 is actually down right dangerous. In a big off if the tank punctured against a hot engine, goodnight Irene :OMG:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:32 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I have the 5.3 and it seems big enough for my needs.
I also have 2 of these: http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-0 ... l-Canister
That gives me a little over a gallon of extra fuel when I take these.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:59 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Hey Pricey, yeah I get the concept from your post but I figured the ground would put as much force as the tank would.
I guess I'll find out as I've been using the 6.6 for a few months now. There's a much bigger gap between the oil cooler and my tank than what is shown in that photo though!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:05 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

BTW that oil cooler guard in the photo you posted is one nice bit of kit!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:14 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Sparkys wrote:
Hey Pricey, yeah I get the concept from your post but I figured the ground would put as much force as the tank would.
I guess I'll find out as I've been using the 6.6 for a few months now. There's a much bigger gap between the oil cooler and my tank than what is shown in that photo though!

Maybe I just crash more than most? :crazy:

Sparkys wrote:
BTW that oil cooler guard in the photo you posted is one nice bit of kit!

Yeah, JNS engineering do a great looking oil cooler guard. I like their other DR stuff too
http://www.jnsengineering.com/product-category/1996-2015-suzuki-dr650se/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:03 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I really like the 6.6 on mine but am concerned about durability. That thing flexes like crazy. Hopefully they took that into account when they designed it. Just riding down the street you can see the wings flapping around like Oprahs thighs.

14 Versys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:23 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

^ :CSpit:

The 6.6 looks ok from the side, looks..... wrong from the front. The more I've come to think about it, the stock tank is pretty much fine for most of my riding, I don't mind stopping to refill after 100+ miles of riding, I'm usually ready for a pit stop by then anyhow. The real use of the bigger tanks for me is when I would be] traveling long stretches without gas stops (west texas, or through rural backroads/forestry roads). So far, I haven't been on a trip that required this yet. One day I'll buy a bigger tank specifically for a trip that requires it, but I have a feeling that it'll be installed for the trip, and I'll put the standard tank back on when the trip is over.

I have, however, spent a a few days at OHV parks where the smallest amount of gas I can have in the tank is a benefit to me as a rider - less weight, lower to the ground, etc. The DR likes to nose dive off of kickers unless you really gun it off of the lip - I couldn't imagine what this would be like with a full tank or for that matter, a full gigantoid tank.

Based on the anecdotal evidence, it sounds like both the 5.3 tank and even more so the 6.6 gallon tank start to have issues with fuel feed when the tank gets low - so to me, the whole argument of "you don't have to fill it all the way" is a moot point. I rode for hours in hollister with my stock tank with a bit less than 2 gallons in the tank, ran it on reserve the whole time to prevent any unwanted surprises. I was down to less than a .5 gallons when I filled up for the ride home. That's a weight savings between 10-18lbs from the beginning of the off road to the end, and I would venture to guess (without personal anecdotal evidence) that the same thing would not have gone as smoothly if I had a bigger tank. :2_thumbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next