www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 3:31 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 21L Acerbis install
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:56 pm 

I'm midway through installing a new Acerbis 5.3 gallon tank on my 2005 DR650. A simple question.

The original tank had three hoses:
- fuel hose
- fuel/vapor separator hose
- vacuum hose

The new tank has no fitting for the fuel separator hose and the new petcock has no fitting for the vacuum hose. What to do?

Fuel/vapor separator hose
Abandon the fuel separator canistor and plug the line going from the canister to the carb?

Vacuum hose
Again, simply plug the line going to the carb?

Reisender: thanks for the tip on the 'no slop' vent hose.

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:01 pm 

2003drdan: From the Procycle.us website regarding the 5.3 gallon tank:

"Installation of the Acerbis tank requires relocation of the front turn signals. Add on our Turn Signal Relocation Brackets. Moves the front turn signals up and forward to clear the bigger tank."

I'll know for sure when I install them this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:35 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

It helps to know where you are located? You should update your profile. Do you have a California model DR? The California models have the fuel vapor separator system. With the California stock tank, the raw fuel vapors get separated and then routed out the right bottom side of the tank. The vapors travel through the emissions canister (charcoal?) and then to the the purge port at the bottom of the carb. With the Acerbis tank, vapors get vented out the top of the gas cap. You can get a long piece of hose and run it from the top of the gas cap to the emissions cannister or directly to the carb purge port I imagine. Or, you can run a short piece of hose from the top of the gas cap like most people do and let the fuel vapors vent into the atmosphere. With this option, you can get rid of all the California emissions stuff including the canister, brackets, hoses, etc. You'll then have to plug the bottom of the carb/purge port. I recommend a fuel rated cap available at any decent auto parts store.

Regarding the petcock and vacuum ports: you can make the stock petcock work with the Acerbis tank with a little modification. Some people like to keep the vacuum operated petcock so they don't always have to remember to manually turn the petcock to off when they park the bike. If you want to use the Acerbis petcock which is manually operated only, then yes. Just plug the vacuum port at the carb. Again, I recommend a fuel rated cap available at auto parts stores for this.

Regarding the turn signals: just flip the stock turn signal brackets. You can get enough clearance that way.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:59 pm 

Motodrum1: Yes, California bike in California (profile updated). Thanks for the info. I think I'll abandon the vapor collection system and go with the non-vacuum petcock. How is a 'fuel rated cap' different than the one that came with the Acerbis tank?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:25 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The vacuum cap that came with the Acerbis tank is for the vacuum port on the carb. This will work fine for the vacuum port of course. I myself would buy an extra fuel rated cap to use just to err on the side of caution because for the purge port, you'll need to buy a cap rated for continuous contact with fuel anyways. Key words here are continuous contact with fuel. If you used the vacuum cap on the purge port, it would end up rupturing eventually. A properly fitted fuel rated cap will look tidier but you could also use a small section of the stock fuel rated hose that is currently attached to the purge port and plug that. Then use the Acerbis supplied vacuum cap for the vacuum port. So, you have options but again, my personal preference and recommendation would be to just buy a couple caps rated for continuous contact with fuel for both the vacuum and purge ports.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:46 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

On the 5.3 tank the turn signals hit unless you rotate the bracket 180 degrees vertically then loosen the nut on the turn signal and rotate it so they face forward again. They don't cinch down as easily because there are tabs on the top triple tree that hold the brackets while you tighten the bolt which doesn't work after you rotate the brackets, but it's a free solution to the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:56 pm 

Great tip, works like a champ.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:22 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Just make sure the front brake hose isn't going to rub through the left signal wires.