www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:38 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:51 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Well tonight I bought my first DR, and a brand new one to boot. I've been researching for a bit, and #1 mod on my bikes is suspension, it just is the best place to spend time/money for off road. Anyway, there seems to be a huge number of suspension threads for thd DR out there, and often with great disagreements. Someone might claim 0.70 kg/mm fork springs and stock valving is the best, another says 0.46's and emulators flatten washboard and soak up supercross triples. Often times the posters give no real information to weight, riding style, experience, etc.

So why not try to make an organized thread to bring a lot of this together for reference? If this is out there I sure haven't turned it up.

Rider weight
Bike add-ons (big tank? always carry 70 lbs of gear?)
Riding type (gnarly rocky single track? 100% on road? two track? etc)
Riding background and ability (newbie? street rider transplant? ex supercross pro?)

Forks
Spring rate
Preload
Oil weight
Damping (stock? emulators? intimators?)
What did you try to get where you are at?
What would you do diffetently next time?

Shock
Spring rate
Oil weight
Damping (stock? emulators? intimators? shaft swap? etc)
Sag
What would you do differently next time?

I thank you for your time and effort.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:56 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Rider weight 200
Bike add-ons (big tank? always carry 70 lbs of gear?) N/A
Riding type (gnarly rocky single track? 100% on road? two track? etc) 90% road
Riding background and ability (newbie? street rider transplant? ex supercross pro?) comuter, single track when I can get out

Forks
Spring rate Eibach 55
Preload 4mm
Oil weight 5w
Damping (stock? emulators? intimators?) Cogent DDC's
What did you try to get where you are at? Race sag 2.5" Oil Height 150mm
What would you do diffetently next time?

Shock
Spring rate 7.6kg
Oil weight ?
Damping (stock? emulators? intimators? shaft swap? etc) Cogent Mojave
Sag 3"
What would you do differently next time? Haven't ridden it much since I installed it. It has been too cold but I like it so far.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:42 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Rider weight: 180 lbs naked, about 200 in gear
Bike add-ons (big tank? always carry 70 lbs of gear?) IMS tank, skid plate. Mostly ride solo, sometimes with my daughter @5´5" and 130 lbs
Riding type (gnarly rocky single track? 100% on road? two track? etc) Mostly road, sometimes gravel roads and light offroad
Riding background and ability (newbie? street rider transplant? ex supercross pro?) Experienced rider, mostly street, some enduro-bikes (KTM 500 GS Rotax, KTM 525 MXC), no racing-background, but frequent MTB-rider

Forks: WP48 front end from a Husaberg 2005
Spring rate: Husaberg stock, shortened travel
Preload
Oil weight: 5W
Damping (stock? emulators? intimators?) fully adjustable
What did you try to get where you are at? I tried firmer springs with 10W fork oil on the stock fork, but the ride was too harsh for my liking. Being in Europe having DDC sent to me including expensive shipment, customs and VAT was no attractive solution.
What would you do diffetently next time? Save the time tuning the stocker and go USD immediately.

Shock
Spring rate: about 8 (German Wirth-part that states "30% firmer than stock")
Oil weight: 7,5W fork oil
Damping (stock? emulators? intimators? shaft swap? etc): stock
Sag: approx. 3", symmetrical with fork
What did you try to get where you are at? I had tried spring-only - no noticeable rebound damping. Then went 10W: too slow; 5W: too fast. 7.5W hits the sweet spot, sufficient rebound and compression is now 2-3 clicks from fully open. A full Cogent rebuild must be a lot better, still, but cost-prohibitive ...
What would you do differently next time? Refill the shock with 7.5W fork oil. I had since done this to friend´s shocks and they all noticed a big improvement.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:40 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Rider weight: 220 lbs
Bike add-ons (big tank? always carry 70 lbs of gear?): 5.3 gallon Acerbis tank
Riding type (gnarly rocky single track? 100% on road? two track? etc): 50/50, AMA Dual Sport Events, FS roads, two-track and some single track
Riding background and ability (newbie? street rider transplant? ex supercross pro?): Rode motocross bikes as a kid, sport bikes as a teen

Forks
Spring rate: .70 straight rate
Preload: Can't remember
Oil weight: 10w
Damping (stock? emulators? intimators?): Emulators
What did you try to get where you are at?: Nothing, went from stock to not stock
What would you do diffetently next time?: I would experiment with the adjustability of Emulators and may still. It works exceptionally well.

Shock
Spring rate: 8.1
Oil weight: Unk, 3w ?
Damping (stock? emulators? intimators? shaft swap? etc): Race Tech Shock Shaft Assembly (Gold Valve with rebound adjustment)
Sag: Can't remember
What did you try to get where you are at?: Nothing
What would you do differently next time?: Nothing, works exceptionally well

2011 DR650, Fly Aero tapered bars, RT front springs/emulators, RT rear spring/shock shaft assy, BarkBusters, MT21s, 14/43T, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:35 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Rider weight: 210lbs
Bike add-ons: IMS 5gal tank, Wolfman racks, tank and tail bag
Riding type: As much off-road as possible
Riding background and ability: Intermediate...5yrs on dual sports

Forks
Spring rate: 0.525 kg/mm
Preload: 4-5mm
Oil weight: Spectro 5W
Damping: Cogent DDCs
What would you do diffetently next time?: The 0.525 spring is a good compromise for on and off-road. I might go a little stiffer if I rode 80/20 off/on road

Shock
Spring rate: 8.something kg/mm (.1 or .3...can't remember)
Oil weight: Whatever Cogent delivered it with
Damping: Cogent shock shaft rebuild with rebound damping
Sag: 2-3in
What would you do differently next time?: Nothing...it's perfect!

'65 Honda CB160
'06 Honda CRF50F

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:44 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Bike add-ons (big tank? always carry 70 lbs of gear?) Safari tank, Wolfman Expedition bags 50% of the time
Riding type (gnarly rocky single track? 100% on road? two track? etc) Everything from "Superslab" to "twisty canyons" to "We certainly can't go back the way we came..."
Riding background and ability (newbie? street rider transplant? ex supercross pro?) Not my first rodeo

Forks DRZ400E Shortened
Spring rate .63
Preload .5"
Oil weight 5w
Damping (stock? emulators? intimators?) Race Tech Gold Valves
What did you try to get where you are at? Pretty much everything. Forks from RMZ450, DRZ400SM, Stock w/emulators, 98 RM250...
What would you do differently next time? Stock forks with Cogent DDCs

Shock
Spring rate 8.1
Oil weight 3w
Damping (stock? emulators? intimators? shaft swap? etc) Race Tech Shock Shaft Assembly (probably the 2nd one they ever built) With lowering links
Sag 80mm
What did you try to get where you are at? Stock shock w/ 10w oil ..|.. Gold Valve ..|.. 7.5 spring
What would you do differently next time? Cogent Mojave Pro w/hydraulic preload

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:47 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I JUST got my suspension tweaked last weekend too.

Rider weight - 185/200 with gear
Bike add-ons - rack, I usually ride with a 10lb backpack
Riding type - Daily driver in town, forest service roads, superslab to get to riding locations
Riding background and ability - all dual sports TW200, XT22, DR650

Forks - OEM - KYB 43C
Spring rate - 0.47
Preload - less than 1/4 " (two fat washers)
Oil weight - 15
Sag - 2.5"
Damping - emulators will drilled out damping rods (2.5 turns on blue springs with 3 1/8" bleed holes
What did you try to get where you are at? (Everything) the racetech website really threw me for a loop when setting up the suspension. I tried 0.6 springs, yellow, blue and silver emulator springs 7.5, 10 and 15 wt oils
What would you do diffetently next time? Call Procycle for help and set up sag FIRST!

Shock - OEM -KYB 40 mm
Spring rate - 7.5
Oil weight - 3 (shock fluid)
Damping - Gold valve (SMGV 4005) two steps lower than recommended dampening
Sag - 3"
What did you try to get where you are at? Spring with 10wt oil in stock internals
What would you do differently next time? all Procycle for help and set up sag FIRST!

Codgent fork valves we not available when I did the front fork and I didn't have the $$ for a more expensive rear valving option.
I must have taken the front fork apart 5+ times and yanked the springs and emulators at least 20 times. Racetech is still the best low budget option but you really want to talk to a DR650 vendor before ordering stuff blind.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:54 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Bike add-ons: 5.5 ish gallon acerbis, soft bags
Riding type: mountain single-double track or jeep roads. also street in SM mode.
Riding background and ability 2nd year on dirt after 14 years of street
Forks
Spring rate .47
Preload: what ever it took to get 70mm of sag
Oil viscosity: 5w
Damping: modified cogent DDC

Shock: Riccor
Spring rate: 7.6
Oil viscosity: factory
Damping: non adjustable but a good match to my front setup (ie firm compression not much rebound)
Sag: 70mm

this setup provides a plush but controled ride that works well in most circumstances.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:18 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

(updated to show recent changes)

Rider weight 300 lbs ready to ride
Bike add-ons (big tank? always carry 70 lbs of gear?) skid plate; wolf fender pack with tools for trail rides
Riding type (gnarly rocky single track? 100% on road? two track? etc) 60% road, 40% dirt. When on dirt two track and technical single track; wherever the trail takes me
Riding background and ability (newbie? street rider transplant? ex supercross pro?) grew up on dirt doing trail riding on a trials bike +10 years; hill climbs, technical terrain, water crossings. No MX. Road is new to me as of 2013. I spend most riding time standing on the pegs; even on tar. I get weird looks

Forks
Spring rate Racetech k=0.58 kg/mm
Preload 8mm w/Cogent adjustable fork caps
Oil weight 5wt, 130mm
Damping (stock? emulators? intimators?) Cogent DDC
Sag 25%
What did you try to get where you are at? various preloads, 0.70 kg/mm springs post DDC install
What would you do diffetently next time? different oil level maybe

Shock
Spring rate k=8.15 kg/mm
Oil weight Unknown
Damping (stock? emulators? intimators? shaft swap? etc) Cogent Mojave Pro Series: 20 clicks rebound, 7 dots compression
Sag 34%
What did you try to get where you are at? Nothing
What would you do differently next time? I want to try 30% SAG out back; perhaps fine tune the compression damping adjustment more.

For noobs or those considering something, just do the Cogent complete solution (or something); you will not regret it. It's like pulling the snorkle from the air box; you will wonder why you waited to do so...

Last edited by N3YMY on Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:03 am 
DR650 Limits Tester

Rider weight 178lbs

Bike add-ons: read signature

Riding type: 90% off road, everything from gnarly single track, to supercross and everything in between. On the pavement ride to work, to the race, or even a track day.

Riding background and ability: 2x AMA D13 VXCS 4stroke-A Class champion, 2x Open Pro hot summer night mx series class champion, 250-B AMA D13 VXCS Class champion, 2x Sandblast Rally podium position finish, few C class championships back in the day, road racing experience, supermoto experience, 30k mi street experience, and 7 years as personal mx trainer.

Forks
Spring rate Racetech k=0.70 kg/mm)
Preload: not exactly sure, will have to measure again but there is a good bit.
Damping: Cogent DDC
What did you try to get where you are at? various preloads, different DDC set up, Lots of different rebound and compression settings
What would you do differently next time? different oil level maybe; perhaps more preload. add more rebound and compression

Shock: Cogent Mojave Pro series and Modified stock shock by cogent with full revalve and rebound adj shaft hard anodized
Spring rate Stock: 8.1
Sag: custom sag, around 3 inches sill double check.
What did you try to get where you are at? Lots of testing and tuning, different sags
What would you do differently next time: more rebound

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

Last edited by crash on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.